Legal to shoot within X yards of house?

TEGSU

Hi all,

I'm thinking about giving muzzleloading a try for this upcoming season. I don't have anything yet I still plan to hunt regardless of the answer here. I live in a small neighborhood outside of the city limits and I do use a crossbow in some areas from time to time (with permission). I guess my question is about whether or not muzzleloaders are considered firearms in Georgia. They can be shipped straight to your home as far as I can tell and there are other reasons why under federal and state law they are not considered firearms.

I know that it is not lawful to shoot across a public road or within 50 yards of a road and I think 200 ft from another residence, though that may differ according to local ordinances. Would it even be okay to target practice in my backyard assuming I'm safe otherwise? I have a nice safe area behind my home where I would be shooting in a safe direction.

I did some searching on the forums and couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

DAVE

Different localities have different rules or laws. Legal or not I would consider the effect shooting in the neighborhood will have on my neighbors instead of is it legal. I am guessing you already know it want be appreciated by some or you would not be asking about legalities.

TEGSU

Different localities have different rules or laws. Legal or not I would consider the effect shooting in the neighborhood will have on my neighbors instead of is it legal. I am guessing you already know it want be appreciated by some or you would not be asking about legalities.

I absolutely agree. On this issue, I would err on the side of caution and not do it rather than risk it. Even if legal, I like my neighbors and would rather not upset everyone.

(y)

LTFDretired

Always know what lies behind when you shoot as bullets can go a good distance

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
State law considers a muzzleloader to be a firearm and I would expect most county/city ordinances to do the same.