Lil’ Sako’s #5 and what we learned this evening.

SakoL61R

Was in Atlanta Thursday-Sunday, so our youth opener started this evening.
I‘m Bwana the guide- pack mule-tracker-advisor-snack carrier for my 10 year old.
Its what I live for and love these days.
Just him shooting- I was too lazy to load the mzl loader. Full confidence.

Slipped out about 4:30 down a path in the clear cut to hunt the far side plot. 10 pears, 6 jap persimmons and 3 crabs in the plot. Sunn hemp and sorghum along with.

Jumped something big in the dog fennel by the creek edge of the clear cut. Didn’t smell us-no blowing.
Eased the last 300 yds to the stand and spied a small doe under a pear tree at the far end of the plot before we climbed up. She bolted-no blowing after a few minute.

Climbed up and got settled in at 5:25.
Solo doe shows up at 6:10 and starts chowing pears under 3 different 12 year old trees. No youngins with her and she never did look back like she had company.
Told my boy it was his choice. He’s killed 4 in the past 3 seasons, all bucks By his choice. He pondered the decision for a few minutes as we watched…
”Yep, Daddy, Ima gonna shoot her when I get a clear shot broadside”.
He was tasting back strap and admitted to it.?
It don’t fall far from the tree….

Said he was shaking a bit….
”Keep calm and breathe…..”
Probably 20 minutes later she started our way, got into 65 yds and turned towards the woods on the edge of the plot.
Told him to be ready and he was.
At broadside, I whispered, “ take her”. His .308 barked at 6:24 pm. High jump with a mule kick, pushing leaves into the woods on 1/2 propulsion and a quick crash. Took out both front gear and blew up up the lower half of her heart.
”That’s my Boy!”
(.308 hand load; 125 Nos AB over H4895. Mild load @ 2700 FPS or so. Almost too wicked…D689F4EA-6A54-4B05-85EE-094392F2418D.jpegA55BECA7-30FB-4D27-8ACE-957454E70304.jpeg2D0CDAF1-50F1-4FE9-A9B7-2F8CFAB44F98.jpeg6B716A5B-4911-4B19-8CD9-8445BA7FDFC8.jpegA6A09FDE-2B61-42F6-8193-AE462FE0B9B5.jpeg0C535DB0-ECF1-4569-9C0D-76DCA2DDFF41.jpeg)

And now for the learning moment….
Of course he wants to get down right the and go get her. Told him “no we’re gonna wait, cause we still have 50 minutes left of prime time”. He said ok after I explained that the biggun might just show up, this being our first hunt in a plot we hadn’t seen in 4 weeks.
All good until 7 pm. He then said he really wanted to go… I tried to reason with him for 7:25. We agreed to 7:10.
Ok, your hunt, and you have been fully briefed. Go ahead, pull a “JoeB”, and we’ll just leave this A/O early. Might bite ya…..

At 7:10 with 19 minutes of legal time left, he unloads and gets down.
I lower his rifle and start packing up our stuff.
I hear him whisper, “deer” From the base of the stand.
Look up and one is watching us from 100 yds. Appears to be a big doe to me, but I don’t say anything.
I whisper to load the rifle and take a rest on the ladder. He does so, looks at her, and confirms “doe”. Another shows up. They both are looking our way, then bolt after a minute or so.

I climb down.
He says, “Next time, we’re staying until the very last minute cause they coulda been big bucks just like you said”.

Well, alrighty then. I smiled a bit in the waning light and couldn’t be prouder.
Class dismissed, A+ on the learning moment, and
let’s go get your deer.

Attachments

• 0CE0A9C7-917C-40BB-BD3F-44486EEB4F09.jpeg
    0CE0A9C7-917C-40BB-BD3F-44486EEB4F09.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 82

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Man that’s good stuff right there! Congrats to you both!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Good stuff right there!

rugerfan

Awesome! Congrats to the young man and you!

wvdawg

Staff member
Great times! Congrats to you both.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats young man ! That’s a big fat nanny , with some extra long backstraps

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Good times that he will remember for life, especially that last 15 minutes when he will always be trying to talk himself into staying on stand "just in case".

Pics and memories

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I hated to admit to daddy he was right and he was right most of the time. I finally learned to listen to what daddy said and follow his advice. Looks like Lil Sako is a lot smarter than me!

Great hunt and a great story. That's a $10 million smile right there. Congratulations to Lil Sako!