Loud Cracking Sound Yesterday

Redbow

From the sky. I didn't want to hijack the post that Jeff C made on what he saw in the sky last nite so I decided to make this post.

But yesterday I was out in my shop for a while. I heard a C-130 aircraft flying over at pretty high altitude. Bogue Auxillary Field a Marine outlying landing field is just across the road from us and they were dropping Marine paratroopers every hour or so. My Wife and I often go out on the porch and watch the paratroopers drift down.

But as I came out of my shop listening to the drone of the C-130's engines I heard a loud cracking sound above our area up in the sky. It was pretty loud and the sound occurred about 5 different times. I looked up and did not see any smoke in the clear sky and the C-130 flew on towards Camp Lejeune. About 15 minutes later the loud cracking sound started again. It sounded kinda like someone breaking a piece of dry wood a very sharp cracking noise. I went inside and told the Wife about the noise and we went back outside so maybe she could hear it but the cracking sound did not occur again. I have no idea what it could have been, maybe something the military was doing.

I know many years ago a loud booming sound was heard by NC coastal residents pretty often. That sound was coming off the Ocean, many people seemed to be alarmed by the loud boom, it shook and rattled windows when it occurred. There were even a couple of TV broadcasts by a TV station in Wilmington NC about the loud booming. The Military was confronted about the noise off the Ocean but they denied they were responsible and didn't know what it was either. The booming went on for many years then suddenly it stopped. I think to this day the Military was involved with the loud booming as they have bombing ranges offshore, we have one not too far offshore from us and we hear the explosions from that area but its not the loud booming of years ago.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
From the sky. I didn't want to hijack the post that Jeff C made on what he saw in the sky last nite so I decided to make this post.

But yesterday I was out in my shop for a while. I heard a C-130 aircraft flying over at pretty high altitude. Bogue Auxillary Field a Marine outlying landing field is just across the road from us and they were dropping Marine paratroopers every hour or so. My Wife and I often go out on the porch and watch the paratroopers drift down.

But as I came out of my shop listening to the drone of the C-130's engines I heard a loud cracking sound above our area up in the sky. It was pretty loud and the sound occurred about 5 different times. I looked up and did not see any smoke in the clear sky and the C-130 flew on towards Camp Lejeune. About 15 minutes later the loud cracking sound started again. It sounded kinda like someone breaking a piece of dry wood a very sharp cracking noise. I went inside and told the Wife about the noise and we went back outside so maybe she could hear it but the cracking sound did not occur again. I have no idea what it could have been, maybe something the military was doing.

I know many years ago a loud booming sound was heard by NC coastal residents pretty often. That sound was coming off the Ocean, many people seemed to be alarmed by the loud boom, it shook and rattled windows when it occurred. There were even a couple of TV broadcasts by a TV station in Wilmington NC about the loud booming. The Military was confronted about the noise off the Ocean but they denied they were responsible and didn't know what it was either. The booming went on for many years then suddenly it stopped. I think to this day the Military was involved with the loud booming as they have bombing ranges offshore, we have one not too far offshore from us and we hear the explosions from that area but its not the loud booming of years ago.

Yessir, interesting disturbance you’re hearing if nothing else. From time to time we see or hear things in our lives that just remain a mystery to us. I was sure hoping someone would/could shed some light on what I saw last night. A live re-entry viewing from
My own front yard was a 1st for me. I even went down to Cape Canaveral for the maiden Columbia Shuttle launch back in the day. One of my best friends all through high school was a Space/Science/Astronomy buff and mathematical wizard. He went on to become a Physicist and a Scientist(Spyfor the US Gov.) :rofl:

Floated around in the North Sea on a so called Science research vessel-spying on Russia. :bounce:

His Dad was and electronic engineer for Chrysler Corp back in the day and designed a lot of the electronics for many of the Apollo missions. He built his own computer of which was the first one I had ever encountered in 1973 I believe it was.

That is how I became somewhat of a Space buff myself. We were best friends for many years.

As to the loud cracking sounds, that is very interesting, yet somewhat disturbing in a sense. Especially not knowing what it is. Keep questioning it through every source at your disposal, you’ll probably be enlightened at some point, I hope so.

Redbow

Yeah Jeff thanks for your reply. I thought for a moment when I heard the cracking sound something had gone wrong with the C-130 passing over. But I was glad to see the airplane flew on with no problems as I saw. The cracking sound may very well have come from the Military airplane I don't know. It was strange to hear but after the 130 had gone on out of sight and hearing I heard that sound again in the same place above me in the sky. It was a bit un-nerving but we have lots of Military around our area and something is always going on with them.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Yeah Jeff thanks for your reply. I thought for a moment when I heard the cracking sound something had gone wrong with the C-130 passing over. But I was glad to see the airplane flew on with no problems as I saw. The cracking sound may very well have come from the Military airplane I don't know. It was strange to hear but after the 130 had gone on out of sight and hearing I heard that sound again in the same place above me in the sky. It was a bit un-nerving but we have lots of Military around our area and something is always going on with them.

I can’t put my finger on it at the moment, but think back on it I remember a couple of military flyovers at sporting events I’ve worked in my past and seem to remember a cracking sound as some of those aircraft flew over. I have a feeling you are on the right track on overhead aircraft.

Ruger#3 may be able to shed some light on that for you. He’s flown all over the World in many different Military aircraft throughout his military and civilian Career.

Redbow

The second time I hear the cracking sound there were no aircraft as I could tell anywhere around. The 130 had probably landed at Lejeune or at New River Air Station below Jacksonville NC. I didn't hear any Military jets either but they do fly around our area just about every day. There was a Helicopter over on Bogue Air Field loading up more paratroopers but I don't think the chopper was responsible for the noise.

One day I was out in my front yard when a very small jet aircraft came across Bogue Field very low and at a high rate of speed. Then two more of the small jets came by. The small jet aircraft reminded me of the one used that time in a James Bond movie. The small jets circled around Bogue Field for a few moments then they zoomed off and were gone. Small and fast little aircraft and the pilots appeared to be having fun flying them. I only saw those small fast jets that one time. I have no idea what their purpose was or what they were being used for or where they came from. No way the little planes could have flown a long distance without re-fueling though.

Meriwether Mike

The Navy jet pilots take off from Mayport and run supersonic up to Virginia for practice. The make the sonic boom offshore to keep from upsetting local residents.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Hmmm Mr. Redbow, you’ve got me perplexed now.

Redbow

Maybe at your age it was your neck cracking from looking up. Jk LoL

I think you might be on to something there. In a few days I will be 75,, so maybe I need to get a grease fitting installed for some lubrication in my neck..:)

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The only C-130 that makes a considerable noise is a gunship. This video is long but it has audio both inside and outside aircraft as the guns fire. It also has weapons impact audio.

HuntinJake_23

How about the C-130 taking off and using JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off). Fat Albert uses it at air shows, but maybe they were training at the base and using it. It can make a loud cracking noise from what I can remember.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
How about the C-130 taking off and using JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off). Fat Albert uses it at air shows, but maybe they were training at the base and using it. It can make a loud cracking noise from what I can remember.

The demo team is the only ones still doing this. It’s insanely dangerous if something goes wrong with the rocket firing sequence.

I was going off the comment the aircraft was at altitude when heard.

Redbow

We used to have Puff in Viet-Nam. I have seen those gunships work out many times. At night it was a spectacular sight to see.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We used to have Puff in Viet-Nam. I have seen those gunships work out many times. At night it was a spectacular sight to see.

Yep, that was 7.62 mini guns. The Herk has 20 MM cannons, 40 MM bofors gun and 105 Howitzer.