Mauser Rework

dcharb

I have a 98 German Mauser 8MM that my Dad sporterized for me in the 60’s for my first starter rifle. I took my first deer and hogs with this rifle, but put it aside as an adult hunter. Now I would like to fix it up and start using it again. I would like to have a modern laminated stock and a new scope added to it. Any recommendations on a Georgia gunsmith would be appreciated.

Thanks,
dcharb

leoparddog

The stock you could do yourself with one from Boyds. I have a Boyd's stock on one of my Mausers. Is your rifle already drilled and tapped for the scope? Has your safety been changed over to a side-swing or low profile to clear the scope?

dcharb

The bolt was bent for a scope, the receiver is tapped, a Timken trigger was installed, and the stepped barrel was shortened. The safety was not changed to my knowledge and always worked with the scope but I remember it being a bit awkward. I want to keep everything as my Dad fixed it but just change out the stock and the old scope. I do not have a shop and tools to do this my self. Plus, and honestly, I did not inherit my Dad’s skills in working on these type of projects. That is why I am looking for a reputable gunsmith.