Most embarrassing thing on a hunting , scouting, or hunting related trip

slow motion

There was a jeep cherokee, some barbed wire, heavy clothes, a big pasture and me involved. And with Bubba narrating
Please provide a link for those who haven't seen it. Embaressing and yet showed off your athleticism. A classic Sir.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Here we go....post from 2006

I can promise yall I am not accident prone...until the last couple of years:D

Ok on Dec 21 05 it was just a hair less than 20 degrees that day with the wind howling....so all bundled up I sit on a clearcut and ended up killing a doe. Bubbabuck comes over to my side of the pasture and we load her up and start heading out of the pasture....this is when it gets good :pop:

I am leading the way with gary following me...I get out and open the pasture gate and look back at gary...he is on his radio, so I figure I will drive through, park, get out and close it back after him....

so I drive out onto the dirt rd and pull off on the shoulder paralleling the fence....

Now remember it was 20 degrees, so I have on knee high 1200 gram boots, insulated bibs, a insulated parka and a sock hat....

I open the door and start to step out and when I do the jeep starts to roll forward, I had left it in drive...no big deal right? I jump back in and hit the brake, but of course all my heavy clothes and boots cause me to hit the gas instead and the jeep lurches forward and to the right throwing me out on the ground, rolling over my right thigh and slams into the fence!!!!

now lets backtrack...Gary is on his radio with a buddy as this is happening. he is laughing saying look at this fool. then he says oh man it just ran over him! I may have to call an ambulance.....

ok back to the story...after it ran over me, I jump up in the air like a gymnast and start after the cherokee! but now it is going through the fence almost in slow motion cause the barbed wire is slowly working its way up the hood over the windshield and through the roof rack. I gotta tell you I was just waiting on the barbed wire to pop and slap me down...then POW it breaks through and starts off across the pasture.....DOWNHILL!! I take up chase...remember what I am wearing???

backtrack again...Gary is now rolling around on the floor laughing at me, but I dont know it. he is telling his buddy you will not believe what I am watching. Jim is chasing his jeep across the pasture...he has now run about 50 yards and the jeep is gaining ground.....holy moses! Jim just kicked it in another gear and is catching up....man he just grabbed the door and opened it! Oh man it is gonna suck him up under it and roll over him again.

Ok back on track...I finally catch up with the jeep after about 75 yards running faster than Micheal Johnson on roids with gold shoes. I snatch the door open and dive in slamming on the brakes about 20 yards from the hardwood tree line :yeah:

Cherokee was (and still is) scratched to hades and back and we spent the afternoon fixing the barbed wire and Bubbabuck spent the rest of his life wondering why he never bought a video camera.

slow motion

Ok on Dec 21 05 it was just a hair less than 20 degrees that day with the wind howling....so all bundled up I sit on a clearcut and ended up killing a doe. Bubbabuck comes over to my side of the pasture and we load her up and start heading out of the pasture....this is when it gets good :pop:

I am leading the way with gary following me...I get out and open the pasture gate and look back at gary...he is on his radio, so I figure I will drive through, park, get out and close it back after him....

so I drive out onto the dirt rd and pull off on the shoulder paralleling the fence....

Now remember it was 20 degrees, so I have on knee high 1200 gram boots, insulated bibs, a insulated parka and a sock hat....

I open the door and start to step out and when I do the jeep starts to roll forward, I had left it in drive...no big deal right? I jump back in and hit the brake, but of course all my heavy clothes and boots cause me to hit the gas instead and the jeep lurches forward and to the right throwing me out on the ground, rolling over my right thigh and slams into the fence!!!!

now lets backtrack...Gary is on his radio with a buddy as this is happening. he is laughing saying look at this fool. then he says oh man it just ran over him! I may have to call an ambulance.....

ok back to the story...after it ran over me, I jump up in the air like a gymnast and start after the cherokee! but now it is going through the fence almost in slow motion cause the barbed wire is slowly working its way up the hood over the windshield and through the roof rack. I gotta tell you I was just waiting on the barbed wire to pop and slap me down...then POW it breaks through and starts off across the pasture.....DOWNHILL!! I take up chase...remember what I am wearing???

backtrack again...Gary is now rolling around on the floor laughing at me, but I dont know it. he is telling his buddy you will not believe what I am watching. Jim is chasing his jeep across the pasture...he has now run about 50 yards and the jeep is gaining ground.....holy moses! Jim just kicked it in another gear and is catching up....man he just grabbed the door and opened it! Oh man it is gonna suck him up under it and roll over him again.

Ok back on track...I finally catch up with the jeep after about 75 yards running faster than Micheal Johnson on roids with gold shoes. I snatch the door open and dive in slamming on the brakes about 20 yards from the hardwood tree line :yeah:

Cherokee was (and still is) scratched to hades and back and we spent the afternoon fixing the barbed wire and Bubbabuck spent the rest of his life wondering why he never bought a video camera.
Thanks brother. That story will NEVER get old.

BowSniper

A true classic!

BowSniper

groundhawg

Many of you know that I enjoy hunting and the outdoors and though alligator hunting might not seem to be safe most of my hunting is safe and enjoyable, maybe even fun. Well I thought you might find what happen to me on an early morning deer hunt fun even if I failed to see the humor in it.

As I said I had an incident this past hunting season that most will find amusing. As I went to my deer stand very early as usual. I approached with caution as always and did not use a flashlight as I had heard this might scare the deer. Deer were in the area and it sounded as if there was a stampede and even smaller animals scurried away in the cover of darkness. Maybe using a flashlight does scare critters but so does tripping over logs, stumbling down a hill, and falling into a creek when you do not use a flashlight. Wet and bruised I continued to my stand hoping that the deer would return within a short time.

I proceeded to climb into the stand which is 16 feet high and nestled in a cluster of three trees with the stand attached to the largest. The other two are about 8 inches in diameter and offer good cover of any movement I might make. Because it was lightly raining I choose to use my treebrella. This is a camouflaged umbrella that secures to tree just above your head.

This was done not knowing that a raccoon had picked the same tree and taken refuge for the night in the same tree. Now this coon had climbed just a little higher than my stand and the treebrella so I did not know he was there. However, a short time after I had everything perfect and was just waiting for daylight. Soon though I notice one of the most fowl odor I have ever smelled. For those of you who use coon urine for cover scent, my hat is off to you!

Well soon it was to get even worse-- I notice the limbs above my stand were shaking. I was very concerned at this time because it actually felt and sounded like something was climbing up the tree above my head. While trying to look around the side of my treebrella this coon drops a “bomb” on me. Coon feces bounced off my treebrella and on to my boots with a splat. I do not know what this coon had been eating but he must have made a stop at the nearest “open till midnight” Taco Bell before napping for the night!

Now at this point it is light enough to see and at this point I realize what is going on. It takes me awhile sometimes. So I pulled an arrow from my quiver and decide to poke this coon which is about 4 feet above my head. To accomplish this I had to stand up, lean out and reach up and then it happened... Folks I have done some stupid things in my life, but never anything this ignorant. That coon grabbed the arrow with one paw and bit into the arrow with his teeth. Now all I have left is a carbon shaft, coon urine on my coat, and pooh-pooh on my treebrella and my boots. Oh and the most important thing, A HIGHLY TICKED OFF COON.

He commenced to growling like nothing I had ever heard. He started backing down the tree towards me so I swatted him with the shaft I had in my hand. Now you might be able to control your children with such a device or even stop a charging bull with a broken arrow. BUT YOU CAN NOT REASON WITH A MAD RACCOON.

He decided to jump on top of my treebrella. Let me insure you that a treebrella can not support the weight of a full grown raccoon. So you guessed it! The coon is now in my lap. ALL HIS BODILY FUNCTIONS GO OFF AT ONCE, AGAIN! Houston we have a problem. Not only am I covered with his bodily waste, but his scratching and clawing ruined my brand new hunting pants as well. Landing in my lap must have surprised the raccoon as much as me. Some folks have told me that a panther’s cry sounds like a woman’s scream. Well anyone within half a mile would have sworn they had heard a panther when I screamed out. The coon was now no longer growling, but is making a chattering noise of some sort. I realize that with all the scent on me he probably thought that I was another raccoon. I think I even heard banjo music.

Needless to say I vacated the stand to the adjoining tree. He, however, took his sweet time sniffing everything as he descended down the tree. I can only hope he doesn't tell his friends.... likely I should have not told my friends either.

slow motion

Many of you know that I enjoy hunting and the outdoors and though alligator hunting might not seem to be safe most of my hunting is safe and enjoyable, maybe even fun. Well I thought you might find what happen to me on an early morning deer hunt fun even if I failed to see the humor in it.

As I said I had an incident this past hunting season that most will find amusing. As I went to my deer stand very early as usual. I approached with caution as always and did not use a flashlight as I had heard this might scare the deer. Deer were in the area and it sounded as if there was a stampede and even smaller animals scurried away in the cover of darkness. Maybe using a flashlight does scare critters but so does tripping over logs, stumbling down a hill, and falling into a creek when you do not use a flashlight. Wet and bruised I continued to my stand hoping that the deer would return within a short time.

I proceeded to climb into the stand which is 16 feet high and nestled in a cluster of three trees with the stand attached to the largest. The other two are about 8 inches in diameter and offer good cover of any movement I might make. Because it was lightly raining I choose to use my treebrella. This is a camouflaged umbrella that secures to tree just above your head.

This was done not knowing that a raccoon had picked the same tree and taken refuge for the night in the same tree. Now this coon had climbed just a little higher than my stand and the treebrella so I did not know he was there. However, a short time after I had everything perfect and was just waiting for daylight. Soon though I notice one of the most fowl odor I have ever smelled. For those of you who use coon urine for cover scent, my hat is off to you!

Well soon it was to get even worse-- I notice the limbs above my stand were shaking. I was very concerned at this time because it actually felt and sounded like something was climbing up the tree above my head. While trying to look around the side of my treebrella this coon drops a “bomb” on me. Coon feces bounced off my treebrella and on to my boots with a splat. I do not know what this coon had been eating but he must have made a stop at the nearest “open till midnight” Taco Bell before napping for the night!

Now at this point it is light enough to see and at this point I realize what is going on. It takes me awhile sometimes. So I pulled an arrow from my quiver and decide to poke this coon which is about 4 feet above my head. To accomplish this I had to stand up, lean out and reach up and then it happened... Folks I have done some stupid things in my life, but never anything this ignorant. That coon grabbed the arrow with one paw and bit into the arrow with his teeth. Now all I have left is a carbon shaft, coon urine on my coat, and pooh-pooh on my treebrella and my boots. Oh and the most important thing, A HIGHLY TICKED OFF COON.

He commenced to growling like nothing I had ever heard. He started backing down the tree towards me so I swatted him with the shaft I had in my hand. Now you might be able to control your children with such a device or even stop a charging bull with a broken arrow. BUT YOU CAN NOT REASON WITH A MAD RACCOON.

He decided to jump on top of my treebrella. Let me insure you that a treebrella can not support the weight of a full grown raccoon. So you guessed it! The coon is now in my lap. ALL HIS BODILY FUNCTIONS GO OFF AT ONCE, AGAIN! Houston we have a problem. Not only am I covered with his bodily waste, but his scratching and clawing ruined my brand new hunting pants as well. Landing in my lap must have surprised the raccoon as much as me. Some folks have told me that a panther’s cry sounds like a woman’s scream. Well anyone within half a mile would have sworn they had heard a panther when I screamed out. The coon was now no longer growling, but is making a chattering noise of some sort. I realize that with all the scent on me he probably thought that I was another raccoon. I think I even heard banjo music.

Needless to say I vacated the stand to the adjoining tree. He, however, took his sweet time sniffing everything as he descended down the tree. I can only hope he doesn't tell his friends.... likely I should have not told my friends either.
Dang it son. That is a good one.

Knock him out John.
Wooooooooo. This thang's killin me.

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Had a buck laying on his back gutting it. Buddy was supposed to be holding the back legs out of the way for me and kept staring off and dropping a leg. I got down to the bladder and things just seemed to line up with my buddies leg.
I started squeezing the bladder and it was a perfect stream to his shin. He didn't realize it until he heard me laughing and looked around.
He was a good helper after that.

slow motion

Had a buck laying on his back gutting it. Buddy was supposed to be holding the back legs out of the way for me and kept staring off and dropping a leg. I got down to the bladder and things just seemed to line up with my buddies leg.
I started squeezing the bladder and it was a perfect stream to his shin. He didn't realize it until he heard me laughing and looked around.
He was a good helper after that.
Harsh but fair.

Sixes

A few years back, I was on a trip with my Dad, another guy, and my cousin and we drove down in one vehicle so we were all together in the truck in the mornings.

We all sit in the same spot in the truck out of habit, and on this morning, we went and pinned in to our spots and I jumped back in the backseat on the passenger side in my normal seat

Now, the night before, we had killed a few deer and the after dark pick up routine ha put us in different seats. Well, Chevy crew cabs have the pocket on the backs of the seats and I had what I thought was a Diet Dew sitting in that pocket.

It was pitch black in the truck and I opened the Dew and took a big swig, BUT, it wasn't Dew. My cousin had ridden in my spot the night before and left his nasty spit bottle full of Skoal wintergreen spit.

Yep, I swallowed a big gulp on another mans tobacco spit and as I'm yelling as best that I can to stop the truck so I can spit/puke out what is left in my mouth, my Dad can't make out what I want so he keeps slowly driving. Finally, I pulled the backdoor handle twice and it locked the door and I rolled out on the ground spitting and dry heaving for a long, long time. And while this is going on, the other 3 goobs are laughing so hard that they have tears flowing.

We went on and hunted and I spent the whole morning burping up spit while gagging, dry heaving and a couple of puke spits.

They still laugh about it and I still gag when I think about it.

But from then on until this day, I look before I take a drink.

specialk

didnt happen to me but @sprewett post reminded me of a time we had to dig a new hole to sit the portajohn on and it was about 40 yds farther down this little path from camp....this one member didn't get the memo and started down the path in the dark one morning and made a mess of himself before reaching the new final destination....had a good laugh over that....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Wasn't there a picture or two with the original version? :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Nope. None that I remember. Should have had tires track pics on my leg

I could have sworn the original version had a pic of the Jeep at least but hey, that was a long time ago and there's been lots of Jeep pics posted over the years, plus we just got back from a week in Jekyll and I'm still going through beach bum withdrawals. :bounce:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
My same buddy who nearly froze to death deer hunting on that powerline nearly killed me in a jon boat 30+ years ago.

We used to fish Lake Worth AKA Lake Chehaw and put in at Cromartie Beach in Albany. His dad had one of them narrow 14 foot jon boats with a little 4hp on it that we'd take out on the lake and fish the lights and the stumps.

One late Spring afternoon we were out there fishing the stumps planning to stay all night and fish the lights and catch a mess of whatever was biting. He's in the back with a paddle, paddling occasionally and fishing as he eased us through the stumps while I was up front fishing. I looked over to my right and saw a stump about 15 feet away with a wasp nest as big as a volleyball on top of the stump and it was covered in wasps. Without looking back at him, I pointed it out with my rod tip and said, "Hey, watch out for that big ol' wasps nest". All he said was, "yep" and then I turned to my left and cast to another stump. About 15 seconds later, I feel the boat bump a stump and I turn back to my right and we had ran in the stump with the wasps nest and they're starting to swarm all over me! I started hollering, dropped my rod, and grabbed the gunnel of the boat and prepared to jump overboard the second I felt the first sting because I knew when that first one hit, the rest would join in the fun. So, there we are with me hollering at him to paddle us away, him fumbling around with his rod and trying to grab the paddle, and him laughing at me as I'm 3/4's of the way out of the boat ready to jump in the lake.

Finally, after what seemed like nearly a minute to me but actually was only 10-15 seconds, we drifted away from the stump and I laid in the bottom of the boat trying to catch my breath and slow my heart back down and thanking the Lord I didn't get eaten alive. After I gave him a good dressing down using every word I could think of or invent (with him laughing the whole time), I asked him why he paddled us into that stump?

All he could get out was, "You looked like you had an afro of wasps around your head"! :LOL:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
This one goes back to my youth.
My uncle and his buddies always went on a week long hunt to the National Forest in Lake City Fl.
I heard their stories for years and always wanted to go.
When I was 13, Unc called my Mom and asked if I could go.
Dream come true.
Fast forward a couple of days and we're in camp, I'm tired, sitting on the ground leaning against a pine tree.
I fall asleep with my head against the tree until Unc calls that supper is ready.
I can't get up, My hair is stuck to the tree with pine sap.
Unc pulled out his pocket knife and cuts my hair loose. I go home with a bald spot on the back of my head.

Somewhere in Lake City forest, probably 40 feet up a pine tree by now, is a wad of my hair.

tcward

Been years ago, I was about 25 feet up a tree in a climber and that dreaded bowel pain hit me. I tried to fend it off about another 15 min but it came to decision time. So I eased myself down without involving too much stress and promptly walked as far away as Mother Nature would let me and then took off about 4 layers of clothes and relieved myself. When finished, I put everything back on but I decided due to the new scent in the area to walk to another place to hunt. I found an old sawed stump and set up looking in a hollow. Been sitting there for a few minutes and began to get a whif of ‘you know what’. Took me a few more minutes to realize that I had drug my coveralls sleeve through ‘it’ when I was putting my clothes back on! I just packed up and went to the truck…..

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Wayyyyyy back in the old days I drove about 30 mins to Paulding Forest getting there around 1. Park, hike in a half hour, pick a tree, climb the tree, put my hanger up, hang my backpack up, pull my bow up.

No quiver.

Lower bow, pull hangar, unhang backpack, climb down, hike back out. Drive home, get quiver, drive back, park, hike in, climb tree, hang hangar, hang backpack, pull up bow.

Hunt an hour and saw no deer.