Mushroom ID

weagle

I have a good many of these growing on dead white oak stumps in Jasper County.

I've never gathered wild mushrooms, but it seems like a shame not to if these are good to eat.

Can they be IDd from these pictures?

Attachments

• mushroom 4.jpg
    mushroom 4.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 20
  • mushroom 3.jpg
    mushroom 3.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 20
  • mushroom 2.jpg
    mushroom 2.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 20
  • mushroom 1.png
    mushroom 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look like oysters, but impossible to tell for sure from those pics. If they are oysters, those would be way past the stage of being good to eat.

weagle

Look like oysters, but impossible to tell for sure from those pics. If they are oysters, those would be way past the stage of being good to eat.
Thanks, I really need get up to speed on which ones are good. I have a ton of Mushrooms growing on my place and they look mighty tasty. OTOH I'd rather not die or see little green men by eating the wrong ones.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I really need get up to speed on which ones are good. I have a ton of Mushrooms growing on my place and they look mighty tasty. OTOH I'd rather not die or see little green men by eating the wrong ones.
Yeah, it pays to know what you're doing before you start eating mushrooms. Liver and kidney failure is a painful way to go.

Impact97

I would start with a process of elimination. Some of the most common and best eats are chanterelles, oysters, lions mane, morrells and chicken of the woods (enter your own personal desires here as there are a ton of very good eating mushrooms). Learn these mushrooms inside and out and leave the rest for a later date. Pretty soon you will have a wonderful war chest of edible choices.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would start with a process of elimination. Some of the most common and best eats are chanterelles, oysters, lions mane, morrells and chicken of the woods (enter your own personal desires here as there are a ton of very good eating mushrooms). Learn these mushrooms inside and out and leave the rest for a later date. Pretty soon you will have a wonderful war chest of edible choices.
Good advice. After 40 years of technically studying, picking and eating mushrooms, taking classes and field trips with some of the leading mushroom experts and whatnot, I still only regularly pick a dozen or so choice mushroom species.