Must Use Expanding Bullet

GunnSmokeer

I see that in Georgia, for hunting deer and bear, if you're using a "modern firearm" during normal gun season, you must use
...Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets.

Okay, so no rimfires. Since all the rimfire calibers I know of these days are small game calibers, that makes sense.

The 22/100 bore diameter requirement has been debated in many other threads. We all agree that we know what it means, even if some of us don't think it's a good idea to hunt deer with calibers normally associated with varmint hunting like the .22 Hornet or .222 Remington.

Now what about that EXPANDING BULLET requirement?

Does that mean that the bullet can't be a solid lead slug like a semi-wadcutter design?

Now for bottleneck rifle calibers like 7mm Remington Magnum or .30-06 Springfield, it's easy to understand what the law means. No military "full metal jacket" or "ball" ammo. Use soft-points made for hunting.

But what about pistol calibers? What if you want the deep penetration that comes from an all-lead flat-tipped semi-wadcutter design? Regardless of whether you actually use a handgun or a carbine or rifle, suppose your gun of choice uses the .44 Remington Magnum caliber. You want to use a handload that features a 240 grain semi-wadcutter bullet at about 1500 f.p.s. at the muzzle.

Would the law require you to work up a new load with a 240-grain jacketed soft-point, just so you can say you're using an "expanding" bullet?

Or are both of them considered expanding bullets, because all-lead bullets WILL expand somewhat ?
(depending on how pure the lead is, and what velocities you're talking, and whether it hits hard stuff like bone or soft tissues)

People who hunt with lever-action .44 mag and .45 Colt rifles, or even .357 mag carbines and revolvers, should have the option of using hard cast lead semi-wadcutter bullets.

Are those kinds of bullets legal?

I see that you could legally hunt deer with a Kel-Tec P32 and some Winchester Silvertips. Strange that such an ineffective and unsuitable kind of gun/ ammo would be OK in the eyes of the law, but a .45-70 rifle loaded with a 400-grain solid hard cast lead bullet at 1800 f.p.s. would not be?

Or does "non-expanding" ammo only mean fully jacketed ammo that's pointed or rounded on the front surface?

Even if that were the standard, how would an all-lead round-nose bullet be considered? One that's got something of a point to it, no flat tip?

In a marginal deer caliber like .357 magnum, with a 158 grain bullet, I can see why the law would say no to RNL (round-nose lead).

But that same type of bullet in a .44-40 lever action rifle (.43 caliber slug, 200 to 220 grains, at about 1200 f.p.s.) should work just fine even if the bullet didn't expand a bit.

speedy claxton

Man it looks like you put a lot of thought into that one. And just as you mentioned no rim fire rounds for deer hunting? I'd much rather have a 22 lr,17 hmr, or a 22 mag. I personally know people that have killed more deer with those types of rifles and to be honest those are the poachers favorite caliber at least where I'm from than a p32. With the law being that fuzzy that's why I bow hunt.:rofl:

Redleaf

Dont read too much into it. The law cant be written to cover every possible scenario. I'm not a lawyer or a game warden, but I'd say that any bullet with exposed lead would be considered "expanding". I've hunted with hard cast bullets alot over the years with pistol and rifles, and never thought I might get a ticket. What game warden is going to carry a hardness tester around in his pocket and since there is no hardness requirement anyway, what difference would it make? You and I know this rule is screwy, but I think anything short of military ball or AP is going to be fine. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've never heard of anybody but a duck hunter being asked by a GW to see his ammo.

Chase4556

Yeah, you read into that way too far, but still raise a valid point on how vague the law actually is.

It means no FMJ rounds. As long as its designed to expand somewhat, you are good. Solid lead semi-wadcutters will still expand when they hit a deer, even if its the slightest bit like you said.

ben300win

There used to be a law for pistols in GA where it had to produce over 500 ft lbs at 100 yds, so you had to load special ammo for the 357 to even quailfy. Think it had to have a 6" barrel as well.

Michael F. Gray

Chase 4566 nailed it, no FMJ, and their are certain dangerous game projectiles designed for penetration through thick hides that would not be appropriate. I suspect this regulation was adopted to try to eliminate over penetration. We've had to many people in the woods killed by hunters who didn't know where their bullet was going. As woodland areas are cleared and subdivisions move in, these considerations will become more important. Had a .22 bullet fired at a squirrel come through a wall into a ladies bathroom a few months back, while she was taking a shower. She wasn't injured, but seeing how that bullet went right through the side of her mobile home gave me a reality check.

Nastytater

Banned
Isn't the 22 hornet a center fire?...And if so,why would it not be legal for hunting deer?...

Nastytater

Banned
And as far as I know,the 240 gr semi wadcutter out of a 44 magnum at 1500 fps velocity will expand...So why wouldn't it be legal?

GunnSmokeer

lower limits of legality

Isn't the 22 hornet a center fire?...And if so,why would it not be legal for hunting deer?...
Yeah, the .22 Hornet is a centerfire rifle round that's .22 caliber or larger, so IF you use expanding bullets, it's legal for bear or deer.
I'm just saying that I think it's a pretty weak cartridge compared to, say, a .30-06. I'll bet that a .30-06 with M2 "ball" non-expanding ammo would be a better deer round than the little Hornet with the best mushrooming ballistic tips.

But as other posters above have observed, the FMJ rifle round is more likely to exit with deadly velocity and endanger others downrange.

I just think it's silly that "the law" would allow you to hunt deer with a little .22, .25, or .32 pocket pistol provided that you use "expanding" ammo, but you could not legally hunt with, let's say, a .40 carbine using 180 grain TMJ (total metal jacket) that pushes those slugs out of its 18" barrel at 1200 f.p.s. and which can easily hit a tennis ball at 50 yards.

DeepweR

Yeah, the .22 Hornet is a centerfire rifle round that's .22 caliber or larger, so IF you use expanding bullets, it's legal for bear or deer.
I'm just saying that I think it's a pretty weak cartridge compared to, say, a .30-06. I'll bet that a .30-06 with M2 "ball" non-expanding ammo would be a better deer round than the little Hornet with the best mushrooming ballistic tips.

But as other posters above have observed, the FMJ rifle round is more likely to exit with deadly velocity and endanger others downrange.

I just think it's silly that "the law" would allow you to hunt deer with a little .22, .25, or .32 pocket pistol provided that you use "expanding" ammo, but you could not legally hunt with, let's say, a .40 carbine using 180 grain TMJ (total metal jacket) that pushes those slugs out of its 18" barrel at 1200 f.p.s. and which can easily hit a tennis ball at 50 yards.
Hunt with what u want,,, it's the law,,,deal with it.

35 Whelen

Not just "no rimfires," there are some centerfire cartridges that are not legal for use on big game in Georgia: 204 Ruger, 17 Remington, 17 Remington Fireball, 17 Hornet are some that come to mind.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would interpret the law as basically no FMJ military ball ammo.

fishtail

I would interpret the law as basically no FMJ military ball ammo.
For the most part this is the case.
Any lead bullet, hard cast or otherwise will be interpreted as an expanding bullet.
A lead bullet with a jacket but with an exposed lead tip or even a polymer insert fits the bill also.
Basically the use of full metal jacket or ball ammo is prohibited.

GunnSmokeer

do we agree?

So do we have agreement on this? That an all-lead bullet, either round-nose or semi-wadcutter, will be considered an "expanding" bullet just like a jacketed hollowpoint or jacketed soft point?

So I could legally hunt deer with a .44 Magnum using hard cast lead solid bullets, even though there is a good selection of .44 mag hollowpoints available at my local gun store?

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Wow, you must be bored.:rofl: That's a joke by the way.:p

As far as I read into it, is that I can't use any rimfire round, and if it's a centerfire it has to be .22 cal or larger and no FMJ's.

harryrichdawg

So do we have agreement on this? That an all-lead bullet, either round-nose or semi-wadcutter, will be considered an "expanding" bullet just like a jacketed hollowpoint or jacketed soft point?

So I could legally hunt deer with a .44 Magnum using hard cast lead solid bullets, even though there is a good selection of .44 mag hollowpoints available at my local gun store?

You should be just fine.