My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

snuffy

Big rocks. What are you going to do with them?
Would make a good fire pit!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my voting district is called Flintsville for a reason. More rocks here than leaves on the trees

B. White

I'm not too enthusiastic yet. We'll have some groceries, it just not be the mix I planned. It is hard to judge progress, since I had a while with no water. Got about .04 last Thur. and Fri., but was dusty by the afternoon. Finally got .25 Sat. and .30 Sun. night. Some sweet corn where I replanted skips is coming up, some is not. Went ahead and replanted skips in peas and green beans last Friday, since I have plenty of seed and didn't want to mess around too long.

Okra popped up good, but truckers favorite next to it has not emerged, but it has only been a little over a week and just since Saturday with the first good rain. Feels like a month ago.

I cut back on my cantaloupe, water melons, pumpkins and winter squash. They are doing find.

1715123414929.jpeg

You can see where the hossinator maters end and the marglobes start. Hossinators are almost twice as tall, but we'll see if that translates into more production.

1715123485006.jpeg

Cucumbers are blooming and getting ready to climb

1715123565390.jpeg

I'm not a big store bought lettuce eater, but can eat a salad every night with a few fresh onions

1715123649028.jpeg

Cabbage is starting to head out. Will probably pick some squash and zucchini next week. I'll pull all the onions planted in the fall Saturday. Some are seeding out, so I'll get her to run them through the food processor and freeze to cook, since they won't store. No garlic scapes yet, so they probably have a while to go.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I'm not too enthusiastic yet. We'll have some groceries, it just not be the mix I planned. It is hard to judge progress, since I had a while with no water. Got about .04 last Thur. and Fri., but was dusty by the afternoon. Finally got .25 Sat. and .30 Sun. night. Some sweet corn where I replanted skips is coming up, some is not. Went ahead and replanted skips in peas and green beans last Friday, since I have plenty of seed and didn't want to mess around too long.

Okra popped up good, but truckers favorite next to it has not emerged, but it has only been a little over a week and just since Saturday with the first good rain. Feels like a month ago.

I cut back on my cantaloupe, water melons, pumpkins and winter squash. They are doing find.

View attachment 1304299

You can see where the hossinator maters end and the marglobes start. Hossinators are almost twice as tall, but we'll see if that translates into more production.

View attachment 1304301

Cucumbers are blooming and getting ready to climb

View attachment 1304302

I'm not a big store bought lettuce eater, but can eat a salad every night with a few fresh onions

View attachment 1304304

Cabbage is starting to head out. Will probably pick some squash and zucchini next week. I'll pull all the onions planted in the fall Saturday. Some are seeding out, so I'll get her to run them through the food processor and freeze to cook, since they won't store. No garlic scapes yet, so they probably have a while to go.

Man, that is one heck of a garden! All kinda impressive.

I have a lotta skips in all rows I need to plant as well.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Finally got my biochar in. I'm doing an experiment. If the squirrels and chipmunks leave these alone I'll add a couple more in this bed. Sign courtesy of my daughter in law.

IMG_5494.JPG

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Gracious, I would have a rebellion on my hands if I made em haul these rocks with a wheelbarrow. I have to pick n choose how hard I make the job for these girls. They have their limits.

That one food plot was 4 wheelbarrow loads. Here's a sample of the big rocks that came out of it.

Rock7.JPG

Rock8.JPG

How big are they? One of them broke my subsoiler.

Subsoiler.JPG

JB0704

I Gots Goats

JB0704

I Gots Goats
That concrete firmed up inside the bag and is solid bricks now. Putting them down before they hardened made it easier to stack and let them conform to the dirt. So far so good, has stood up against a couple 3" rains so far. I only put in a 24" pipe but it has handled it so far.