My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

B. White

I ran the wheel hoe up and down around 1800 ft of rows of stuff, since the rain is coming. That wasn't bad, but went ahead and got the leaves touching dirt cut off the maters and then realized I had pulled onions a couple of days ago and needed to get them up and under cover. The bending over in maters and onions about did me in.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Got all of the sweet corn laid by yesterday. Also tilled the other rows and got them cleaned up. Everything is looking good!View attachment 1305437View attachment 1305438

Looks great! I wasn't able to till between all my rows, planting the skips took a long time because we were dropping seeds manually.

When you lay the corn by, how are you dripping the fertilizer? Does your plow have a way to drop it or do you spread it manually then plow in?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great! I wasn't able to till between all my rows, planting the skips took a long time because we were dropping seeds manually.

When you lay the corn by, how are you dripping the fertilizer? Does your plow have a way to drop it or do you spread it manually then plow in?
We do it the manual way and my back and legs approve that message this morning! :ROFLMAO:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
We do it the manual way and my back and legs approve that message this morning! :ROFLMAO:

While the corn is short, Im thinking mebbe I can run the buggy down the rows and have daughters sit on the back slinging fertilizer......may save my back some stress. Either that or just set em ride in the bucket of the tractor dropping it while I got the plow on the back laying it by. That would prolly be the funnest solution.......if I pull that off Ill post some pics.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think thats how Im GON have to do it was well. Wanted to rig something up, but not sure what I could attach to the plow I use.
We had some sort of side dressing way. It was another cultivator set up some how. I’m sure sone one on here has a small one for pics. Everything we did was standard and uniform to make it practical.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
We had some sort of side dressing way. It was another cultivator set up some how. I’m sure sone one on here has a small one for pics. Everything we did was standard and uniform to make it practical.

I currently have a plow set up to run both sides of a single row. I space everything when I plant for that. In years past I basically used it for weed control on the larger field corn patch to keep from having to spray round up (that corn is glysophate resistant). My hope is to use the same plow to pull the nitrogen into the corn after dropping it on the ground. I can't think of a decent way to drop it.......but having the girls ride the tractor bucket slinging it while I plow seems like it'd be a good bit of fun. Those kids love riding around on the dang loader.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we always just used the spreader to sling the sody out on the corn. Set the lift high enough that you are above corn height, and let'r rip 'tater chip. The sody that lands and sticks to the leaves will make a brown spot on the leave, but it either out grows it or something because in a couple of weeks, you can't tell it was every there. Make sure your corn is dry before you sling it out, or it will look like it got a doze of the measles.

After you spread the corn, use a set of half shovel sweeps to really pile that dirt up around the corn stalk. That will turn all the fertilizer in toward the stalks, and not leave it in the middle of the rows.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Daddy has some kind of something that he modified from a piece of mule drawn equipment he had that could attach to the belly of his Super A in front of the plows. It would distribute and cover-lay by in one pass.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Daddy has some kind of something that he modified from a piece of mule drawn equipment he had that could attach to the belly of his Super A in front of the plows. It would distribute and cover-lay by in one pass.

Do you have a pic of this? I have a neighbor who can weld together pretty much anything, and if I can get a good idea and the parts together I think he n I could build it.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
we always just used the spreader to sling the sody out on the corn. Set the lift high enough that you are above corn height, and let'r rip 'tater chip. The sody that lands and sticks to the leaves will make a brown spot on the leave, but it either out grows it or something because in a couple of weeks, you can't tell it was every there. Make sure your corn is dry before you sling it out, or it will look like it got a doze of the measles.

After you spread the corn, use a set of half shovel sweeps to really pile that dirt up around the corn stalk. That will turn all the fertilizer in toward the stalks, and not leave it in the middle of the rows.

My concern with broadcasting was somebody told me if it gets into the corn it would kill it. Not on the leaves but into the center of the stalk? Did that ever happen for you?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Do you have a pic of this? I have a neighbor who can weld together pretty much anything, and if I can get a good idea and the parts together I think he n I could build it.

Sorry, back in those days cameras were few and way far between. I do remember a Covington steel hopper and a flexible steel tube coming out of the bottom of it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We always used a bucket and our hands and feet. :)