My 5th summer garden: Expansion and more beans

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Finally got some maters n cukes in the ground yesterday. Hoping this is my year to crack the code on maters.

In the holes I dug for maters I put a little lime and a little epsom salt. Do yall do anything like that for cucumbers?

I put crushed up eggshells in the bottom of each tomato hole.

Get some laying hens for your chilluns to take care of. Chickens have all kinds of benefits.

B. White

I know everbody likes the epsom salt and I have used it over the years. The biggest difference I can see with trying different stuff is as long as I've got some pelletized lime mixed with my compost and rabbit manure I throw in the hole, then I don't have any trouble. The compost also has a good many eggshells. I didn't use my compost mix a couple of years ago and had some problems with a few plants. I mixed some pelletized lime with vinegar and after the slurry got bubbling good I mixed with water and put on them. Cleared up my problem after a few days.

Went out for my weed pulling around cucumbers this evening and was surprised to find a bunch ready to pick. They still haven't started climbing the trellis good yet, but we got between two and three gallons worth off the ground.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
well, it finally got dry enough (mostly) for me to plow the corn field. I took off work a hour early, plowed it with the 2 mold board plow, then ran over it with the smoothing harrow. Got my dad to show up around 7 and we planted 10 pound of Hickory King corn. I have 30 rows around 150 ft long each.

I heard a crow calling while we were planting, and I told that sucker if he came around or told any of his friends about my corn, I was gonna shoot his tail. I hope I convinced him.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My little spot is still doing fair. Cukes, maters, squash and butternut squash all have fruit started. Peppers are blooming. Cantaloupes and watermelon are growing slowly, pretty sure they’re not getting enough sun. Tater vines are sickly, not sure how they’ll produce.
New growth on the peppers starts out wilty, but seems to perk up after a day or 3.
Yall have some great looking gardens.

B. White

well, it finally got dry enough (mostly) for me to plow the corn field. I took off work a hour early, plowed it with the 2 mold board plow, then ran over it with the smoothing harrow. Got my dad to show up around 7 and we planted 10 pound of Hickory King corn. I have 30 rows around 150 ft long each.

I heard a crow calling while we were planting, and I told that sucker if he came around or told any of his friends about my corn, I was gonna shoot his tail. I hope I convinced him.

My daddy wouldn't plant any without this stuff. I can still smell it from 50 years ago.

1715906204469.png

BriarPatch99

Sorry, back in those days cameras were few and way far between. I do remember a Covington steel hopper and a flexible steel tube coming out of the bottom of it.
Our Ford 541(Offset) had Cole fertilizer distributor with chain drive similar to the Super A. the chain from back wheel connected to the sprocket on the Cole shaft...the chain was directly in line from the back wheel to Cole shaft..

The chain driven Covington distributor could be connected pretty close the same way... My only thought would be that the Covington used around us were wider than the Cole...nothing that a jack shaft could not handle...

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Bought 100# of Ammonia Nitrate at Arnall’s in Newnan today. They had it for $22 for a 50# bag. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen in a while

I DID NOT just bought 200#'s at the deer farm in Roopville for $20.50 per 50# bag. Would have been great if I had, though.

EDITED to not be such a danged Tommy Topper

Last edited:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Well I had a first happen. Lost 95% of my okra plants over the last few days. Looks to be damping off disease. Plowed it all under and went for round two.

HAte to her that. Never heard of that disease, reckon I should prolly be on the lookout for it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got some maters n cukes in the ground yesterday. Hoping this is my year to crack the code on maters.

In the holes I dug for maters I put a little lime and a little epsom salt. Do yall do anything like that for cucumbers?
A little lime never hurts.

snuffy

I had to replant my okra. Most of then didn't come up.
Second planting doing not great but okay.

Well I had a first happen. Lost 95% of my okra plants over the last few days. Looks to be damping off disease. Plowed it all under and went for round two.

B. White

Don't think we can take much more water here this week. Today's rain wasn't as bad as Sunday night. Rain gauge showed precipitation rate around midnight was 3.5 in per hr. Had a good bit of washing in peas and beans. Got about three more areas I need get into and work to plant, including sweet taters. Looks like it will be Thursday or Friday at the earliest, depending on how much more there is. Glad I'm not in a low spot.

1715982443045.jpeg

1715982464047.jpeg