My burden is light.

gordon 2

Matthew 11:28-30

New International Version

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Why is the burden for many Christians not light? To take up Jesus' yoke and learn from God it is that Christians have to navigate doctrinal differences, and many definitions for the same words, church issues, bible issues, pastoral and ministerial issues, and all kinds of difficulties with other Christians in our fellowship. All these combine so believers get discouraged, church hop, or fall away in some cases.

Why is His burden not light ( at least for some people.)

Madman

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Why is the burden for many Christians not light? To take up Jesus' yoke and learn from God it is that Christians have to navigate doctrinal differences, and many definitions for the same words, church issues, bible issues, pastoral and ministerial issues, and all kinds of difficulties with other Christians in our fellowship. All these combine so believers get discouraged, church hop, or fall away in some cases.

The simple answer would be sin.

Many of us believe we are masters of our fate, that we have the ability to read ancient text without an understanding of the language, the culture, or the context.
Pride hinders our understanding, an itching ear allows us to hear what we want to hear.

It goes on and on, I yield to the Church's teaching that has been passed down for 2000+ years.

gordon 2

The simple answer would be sin.

Many of us believe we are masters of our fate, that we have the ability to read ancient text without an understanding of the language, the culture, or the context.
Pride hinders our understanding, an itching ear allows us to hear what we want to hear.

It goes on and on, I yield to the Church's teaching that has been passed down for 2000+ years.

Perhaps your right, but there seems to be a spirit, or more than one, that wants to tangle up individual faith itself and so to make it ineffective in some cases... Faith today seems to always have another hoop to jump through and some will say that it is simply shedding the "flesh" and a necessity. I'm not sure.

Madman

Perhaps your right, but there seems to be a spirit, or more than one, that wants to tangle up individual faith itself and so to make it ineffective in some cases... Faith today seems to always have another hoop to jump through and some will say that it is simply shedding the "flesh" and a necessity. I'm not sure.
Yes. Some of us call it the reformation.

gordon 2

Yes. Some of us call it the reformation.
You are right I suppose. BUT WE righteous should not forget that when the main line Church ( the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church) mixed politics into their ministry mix ( and acted as a theocracy or alter boys to kings) it was a test to many who second guessed its relevance to the designs God meant for the saints or it was a great challenge to those weak to the true food of the Church.

Somehow I feel that if saints have God's faith in their hearts and on their minds... our burden will get lighter than it has been then when we seek by rebelling as a refusing to be pushed around by the weakness of the saints or the Church which claims itself an instrument that believes it can regulate politics and minister the Word in tandem.

I think, I feel, that there are at least two spirits here that interfere...to make our burden heavier than it need to be: The spirit of rebellion and the spirit of having, of needing, a department of politics operating as a gift, as a ministry equal to others in the body. It seems to me that the often said religious spirit has a master in these two spirits and all Christians sects are prone to their infections. The misuse of the Church... is a problem for everyone... and we don't all deal with this problem the same way.... which seems to compound to add weight to our burden--supposed to be light.

Maybe...

Last edited:

Madman

You are right I suppose. BUT WE righteous should not forget that when the main line Church ( the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church) mixed politics into their ministry mix ( and acted as a theocracy or alter boys to kings) it was a test to many who second guessed its relevance to the designs God mean for the saints or it was a great challenge to those weak to the true food of the Church.

Somehow I feel that if saints have God's faith in their hearts and on their minds... our burden will get lighter than it has been then when we seek by rebelling and refuse to be pushed around by the weakness of the saints or the Church which claims itself an instrument that believes it can regulate politics and minister the Word in tandem. I think there are two spirits here that interfere...to make our burden heavier than it need to be: The spirit of rebellion and have a department of politics as a gift, as a ministry equal to others in the body.

Maybe...
The Church is not Anglican nor the Roman Catholic. The Church I speak of is the unbroken belief that originated in the first century and continues today, it includes Rome, Anglicans, Orthodox, Coptic, etc.

Anywhere men are involved errors occur, yet Christ has maintained his Church for 2000+ years.

I have no problem with Protestants, I have a problem with those who drove the reformation in 1525. It was an ego driven play for power that was nothing more than an anti-Biblical protest.

In our pride we rise up and demand to be heard, when we should yield to the Holy Spirit and Christs Church on the faith as it was handed down to the saints.

Ignorance of the faith and the Church has driven a wedge between the saints.

All one needs to do to see the forewarning of this schism in the story of Rehoboam and Jeroboam.

CarolinaDawg

The burden Christ is referring is not at all related to the things you listed as burdens.

gordon 2

In the context of Matt 11 what is the burden Jesus is referring to? Or it is perhaps referred to elsewhere? Luke 11:46 for example. Or by some other insight?

11:46

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry,....

I assumed perhaps incorrectly that this is what Jesus meant again with the reference to burden. But I am often wrong on many things.

Last edited:

Madman

In the context of Matt 11 what is the burden Jesus is referring to? Or it is perhaps referred to elsewhere? Luke 11:46 for example. Or by some other insight?

11:46

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry,....

I assumed perhaps incorrectly that this is what Jesus meant again with the reference to burden. But I am often wrong on many things.

I believe you to be correct, the burden was the miss-use of law much as it is today.

The misuse came from wrong teaching, much as the faith is mis-taught today by some.

Christ's yoke can be summed, Love God, Love your neighbor. It is so much lighter.

gordon 2

I believe you to be correct, the burden was the miss-use of law much as it is today.

The misuse came from wrong teaching, much as the faith is mis-taught today by some.

Christ's yoke can be summed, Love God, Love your neighbor. It is so much lighter.

I have since found out that some say the prophets had or have a burdens unique to them... I will have a look again for this context of John the Baptist in Luke 11 or Mathew 11 perhaps.. But yes... I would like it if CarolinaDawg could elaborate.

Last edited:

Madman

I have since found out that some say the prophets had or have a burdens unique to them...

In general I would believe the prophets have unique burdens, just as priest have unique burdens.

I would be interested in you elaborating on this or point me to what you have seen in regards.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

doctrinal differences, and many definitions for the same words, church issues, bible issues, pastoral and ministerial issues, and all kinds of difficulties with other Christians in our fellowship.

Not one of those are HIS burden nor one he puts on us. Those are burdens we place on ourselves and there are about a gazillion more. Let's be very clear about that. Blaming Christ for burdens I put on myself is about as unjust as blaming my wife for me working overtime because I want a new truck. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

I have no problem with Protestants, I have a problem with those who drove the reformation in 1525.

Now THAT'S what I call holding a grudge. 500 years. Wow!!::ke:

You know, sometimes for the sake of my peace I have to remind myself that even the things I don't agree with happen according to God's perfect will. 500 years???? Whew.:yawn:

SemperFiDawg

The burden Christ is referring is not at all related to the things you listed as burdens.

Agree. Christ was referring to spiritual burdens, not earthly ones. He removes the heaviest spiritual burden, namely sin, but there are others, guilt, shame, fear, regret, etc.

Madman

You know, sometimes for the sake of my peace I have to remind myself that even the things I don't agree with happen according to God's perfect will. 500 years???? Whew.:yawn:

I hold no grudge. It is merely an observation. The reformation did not effect me at all. Unfortunately, it did draw many from the faith that had been handed down by the saints.

Read the Biblical Account of Juda and Israel. Might see some parallels.

SemperFiDawg

I hold no grudge. It is merely an observation. The reformation did not effect me at all. Unfortunately, it did draw many from the faith that had been handed down by the saints.

Read the Biblical Account of Juda and Israel. Might see some parallels.

Just picking. Have a good weekend Brother. God Bless

gordon 2

To be fair the "grudges" with origin to the times of the reformation are still relevant and so judged worth mentioning in justification as to identification and reason for being by all groups this side of the Reformation.

You don't have to venture very far to hear the same and age old talking points by serious minded Christians. The good and bad Martin Luther and the good and bad CC are still fought over today like some are still fighting the civil war today.

Whew. :)

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms"

Sometimes our assessments of the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms and the way to fight against these is over the top on all sides.

Last edited:

Madman

I was reading an interesting article pertaining to this and am planning on digging deeper into it.

Arguably this is the second part of the traditional rabbinical calling.

The first being that one had to be called to be a disciple. The second being that this called disciple had to take on the teaching, the yoke if you will, of the teacher.