My new pup

Big7

The Oracle
CONGRATULATIONS!! They are one of the best breeds ever

Beautiful Dogs and even though they are fantastic bird dogs, they can be pets too. They know when it's time to play and time to hunt.

I had one 16 1/2 years. His name was Griffin.

When I had to put him down that was one of the saddest days of my life. A 46 y/o man laying in the floor at the vet with him crying like a baby..

When he died, I had had him for 1/3 of my life.
He was a hunting fool. Excellent Setter and Retriever and he would Point occasionally.

Last edited:

spring

Beautiful pup! Where’d you find her?
I got my first English Setter in early June as well; she’s a bit over 3 months old now. Really bonding with her, though she is full of energy, curiosity, and teeth.
I was a bit unsure of my training plan at first having had mostly French Brittanys of late. The EBs typically go to a trainer at 6 months, but after visiting with a very good trainer from near me, he recommended a different plan that I’m looking forward to going with.

HQn5821.jpg

Tight Lines

I got my first English Setter in early June as well; she’s a bit over 3 months old now. Really bonding with her, though she is full of energy, curiosity, and teeth.
I was a bit unsure of my training plan at first having had mostly French Brittanys of late. The EBs typically go to a trainer at 6 months, but after visiting with a very good trainer from near me, he recommended a different plan that I’m looking forward to going with.

HQn5821.jpg
Wow so cute and a GREAT pic!

cj580guitar

HQn5821.jpg
I got her up at Toccoa River Setters. Your pup looks really nice. My two choices were a setter or britt. I just prayed about it and went with the setter.
Who’s the trainer you were talking too ? Thanks CJ

spring

No doubt you would have been happy with either breed. Both can accumulate beggars lice like they're wearing velcro, so some trimming before the season may be warranted.
As for the trainer, I was chatting with my friend, Jamie Daniels.

cj580guitar

No doubt you would have been happy with either breed. Both can accumulate beggars lice like they're wearing velcro, so some trimming before the season may be warranted.
As for the trainer, I was chatting with my friend, Jamie Daniels.
Yea I was thinking about that. This is my first bird dog pup. I’ve grew up with beagles. I’m looking forward to learning with her. Thanks CJ

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I don't know how much house living your intend with your new pup, but use a crate if you do. Wire crates are great. Don't let the dog out of you sight while loose in the house or you'll be sorry for what she'll chew up. As for chewing, I've noticed that she doesn't dare chew on my big dogs. Don't let her chew on you, either. She'll learn. That includes soft mouthing. Nip it in the bud. For basic obedience I like McCann on youtube. It has over a million followers which told me something. Best tip I got from her was the "house line". A cheap ribbon leash with the hand loop removed so it doesn't snag furniture or bushes. It's handy for reining them in without chasing which becomes a frustrating game for you. If I want to leash her and walk her outside the yard, I tie a bowline loop in the hand end. Easy to tie and untie. Good luck which you'll need with a heavy dose of patience. Gil

spring

I don't know how much house living your intend with your new pup, but use a crate if you do. Wire crates are great. Don't let the dog out of you sight while loose in the house or you'll be sorry for what she'll chew up. As for chewing, I've noticed that she doesn't dare chew on my big dogs. Don't let her chew on you, either. She'll learn. That includes soft mouthing. Nip it in the bud. For basic obedience I like McCann on youtube. It has over a million followers which told me something. Best tip I got from her was the "house line". A cheap ribbon leash with the hand loop removed so it doesn't snag furniture or bushes. It's handy for reining them in without chasing which becomes a frustrating game for you. If I want to leash her and walk her outside the yard, I tie a bowline loop in the hand end. Easy to tie and untie. Good luck which you'll need with a heavy dose of patience. Gil
Interesting how my old lab, who will be 12 in October, has about adopted the new pup and allows her to crawl all over him and chew and nibble almost at will. She goes after his ears, face, tail, and about everything else, though every now and then he'll shake her off and try to get some peace. My 4-year old French Brittany was at first very much against the idea of a new pup. He doesn't snarl at her anymore and still doesn't play with her like my lab, but they go around together all the time looking for new things and adventures. Setting up like they will be good hunting buddies, which is the primary goal.

HQA6l6P.jpg

HQRpqKb.jpg

Last edited:

cj580guitar

Thanks Mr Gil. Yea I have a crate for her. I will be working on crate training the next week or two. So far she has been real good but it’s just day 2. I know she still has a lot of puppy in her. I will look at McCanns training on YT. After she gets use to us and settled I’m gonna take her to the farm in the evenings just to walk and get use to being in the woods.