Naive rookie pig hunter

Killed a bunch of them in the CNF…..hunt up in the morning from daylight until mid morning and turn around and hunt the next drainage down when the thermals switch. If your not on the steep stuff, crawling and clawing, your not gonna find the hogs…

If you can kill hogs you can kill any elk on the planet….

sprewett

Bringing my brother out today. He will have a shotgun and I will be slinging arrows. Hopefully we get on some pigs. Will be fun teaming up. Regardless of who shoots it will be "we" killed one. We will find em together, drag together, clean together, and split it evenly. I sure hope we get in some today but the wind is terrible, if will just stay one direction I can manage but swirling ain't no good. May have to roll in a pile of pig crap to smell different my wife will be so happy. Hahahaha.

sprewett

Welp, we didn't see any pigs today. The wind was swirling blowing our scent all over the place. We followed a good pig trail for a ways then decided to climb up a hill. Found a big ole pile of bear scat. Had to get my brother back to the vehicle he is pretty sedentary and after about 5 miles of up and down hills he was done! It was great to spend time with him and just the anticipation of seeing a pig was enough to really make for a great trip. Hard to have a bad day in the woods or on the water. The mtn laurel or rhodendra were blooming. I can't tell em apart but pretty nonetheless less.

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_175230392_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230430_175230392_HDR.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 10

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Welp, we didn't see any pigs today. The wind was swirling blowing our scent all over the place. We followed a good pig trail for a ways then decided to climb up a hill. Found a big ole pile of bear scat. Had to get my brother back to the vehicle he is pretty sedentary and after about 5 miles of up and down hills he was done! It was great to spend time with him and just the anticipation of seeing a pig was enough to really make for a great trip. Hard to have a bad day in the woods or on the water. The mtn laurel or rhodendra were blooming. I can't tell em apart but pretty nonetheless less.
Mountain laurel. No rhododendron on Pine Log.

sprewett

Pine log pigs 1 Shawn 0 yet again. As heartbreaking and aggravating as it is I am thoroughly enjoying trying to stick one with my bow. This evening went for walk. Wind howling once I got to my spot I started walking with the wind in my face. Walked withing 5 yards of a hen turkey after watching and smiling for a minute kept going. Scanned one cut over with my binoculars to see if I could see any deer. Nope! Then I scanned the other cut over slowly and sure enough saw a black blob in the thick briars. Began my journey and as soon as I crested the hill there were two hogs in the bottom. Wind still screaming in my face. Start easing down with a knocked arrow. 56 yards kept creeping wind was great. 51 yards at this point I am getting the fever heart rate racing hands shaking. Keep going with a good wind to my face. 37.5 yards I though if I get to 30 I'm gonna let it fly. I put my rangefinders back in their case and in an instance the wind changed directions. Instantly I heard the ole sow grunt and off they went. I know where they cross so I took off to try and head em off but no can do.
My buddy and I are planning on going tomorrow hopefully they won't be spooked off for long. He is bringing a muzzleloader and an 870 express for me. It is nice to think that if I would have had a gun I would have pork by now but I am really enjoying the challenge of this bow hunting. I have never really bowhunted so this is all new. My whole life either the 30-30 or 30-06 put em down.
One day I'm Gonna post on here I got one but for now I am having a blast hunting and finding pigs on public land.
By the way if your on the forum and have a trail camera out at the log and you see a guy take a leak beside it sorry. I didn't see it at first.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Pine log pigs 1 Shawn 0 yet again. As heartbreaking and aggravating as it is I am thoroughly enjoying trying to stick one with my bow. This evening went for walk. Wind howling once I got to my spot I started walking with the wind in my face. Walked withing 5 yards of a hen turkey after watching and smiling for a minute kept going. Scanned one cut over with my binoculars to see if I could see any deer. Nope! Then I scanned the other cut over slowly and sure enough saw a black blob in the thick briars. Began my journey and as soon as I crested the hill there were two hogs in the bottom. Wind still screaming in my face. Start easing down with a knocked arrow. 56 yards kept creeping wind was great. 51 yards at this point I am getting the fever heart rate racing hands shaking. Keep going with a good wind to my face. 37.5 yards I though if I get to 30 I'm gonna let it fly. I put my rangefinders back in their case and in an instance the wind changed directions. Instantly I heard the ole sow grunt and off they went. I know where they cross so I took off to try and head em off but no can do.
My buddy and I are planning on going tomorrow hopefully they won't be spooked off for long. He is bringing a muzzleloader and an 870 express for me. It is nice to think that if I would have had a gun I would have pork by now but I am really enjoying the challenge of this bow hunting. I have never really bowhunted so this is all new. My whole life either the 30-30 or 30-06 put em down.
One day I'm Gonna post on here I got one but for now I am having a blast hunting and finding pigs on public land.
By the way if your on the forum and have a trail camera out at the log and you see a guy take a leak beside it sorry. I didn't see it at first.
They'll slip up. You on em dude... Its just a matter of time.

sprewett

What an evening! Got off from work early hit the woods around 1 to see if I could find a pig. Went to a place they have recently done a prescribed burn and I wanted to see what it looked like plus give me something new to look at. I haven't been there since small game season. I parked and started my long walk to the particular area I wanted to go. I was pleased to have the wind blowing in my face and not swirling for once. On the way walked up on a bedded doe closes I got was about 12 yards she never knew I was there. I ended up seeing a total of 7 deer, 2 baby barred owls, 4 rabbits, and a turkey.
The kicker was after I had came back out I drove over to the power lines to wait out till sunset. I walked down about 400 yards to a little outcropping overlooking what I hoped would be a good place for a pig to cross. I heard a noise, which sounded like a grunt, and then I heard a twig snap. I began scanning looking in the direction it came from but it just vanished. When I had walked to this outcropping I thought it was a bad idea because something could come in behind me without me getting the drop on it. I thought it'll be alright! I guess the pig was where I couldn't see it and began coming up the hill where I was in the weeds, silently. When it got behind me and caught my scent it took off about 10 feet behind me. I tried to get turned quick enough to shoot my pistol but it was too late. Another blunder for me but I really don't care it was an incredible evening in the woods and saw plenty of wildlife.

CarolinaWren

Diesel fuel is your friend. 5 gallons will do the trick.

I ain't never tried it on public land but it will draw and keep them around like nothing else.

Guess you could argue it's not bait since it ain't food.

EDIT: Did a quick search and found this.
I have used diesel but not motor oil.
I don’t think purposely dumping gallons of fuel on the ground on our public land is a good idea.

sportsman94

I don’t think purposely dumping gallons of fuel on the ground on our public land is a good idea.

I was on a local wma during turkey season and saw two bare spots about the size of car hoods on the ground right off the road. Like wallows, but no mud. You could tell they had been freshly worked by pigs several times over the season. I wondered if someone didn’t pour diesel or motor oil right there

sprewett

Flushed one out Sunday afternoon at the Log but took off the wrong direction and couldn't get a shot due to the crazy thick briars. Hopefully, will get after em again tomorrow evening after work.
The other day at Paulding Forest found somebody's honey hole they still have their climbing sticks up and a lock on over looking where they been pouring out minerals. Deer or hog have dug a giant hole pawing the ground.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just curious , are these WMA’S open year round for hog hunting ?

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
@sprewett as long as you're in the May 16th-31st period, you can shoot them with anything you want. Need to wear orange, though.

Stay after them; I'm enjoying your journey. If I didn't love squirrel hunting so much, I'd be after them more during small game.

sprewett

@sprewett as long as you're in the May 16th-31st period, you can shoot them with anything you want. Need to wear orange, though.

Stay after them; I'm enjoying your journey. If I didn't love squirrel hunting so much, I'd be after them more during small game.
Yes sir I've been carrying my 30-06 since the 16th. I haven't had much of a chance to go this week yet. Hopefully tomorrow evening. Thanks about the orange I was curious actually because I couldn't find anything to specify.