Naive rookie pig hunter

sprewett

First day out today!!! It was AWESOME to be able to get out. I could tell I have been sitting around too much and setting trot lines don't give me much exercise. It sure felt good to feel the burn in my legs as I climbed hills, the sucking wind as I climbed the same, the birds chirping, and owls hooting. What a great 6 miles covered this evening. Did hear some hogs but they were a decent ways away in some crazy thick stuff that I couldn't see in. Also saw three deer. Look forward to another outing soon.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
First day out today!!! It was AWESOME to be able to get out. I could tell I have been sitting around too much and setting trot lines don't give me much exercise. It sure felt good to feel the burn in my legs as I climbed hills, the sucking wind as I climbed the same, the birds chirping, and owls hooting. What a great 6 miles covered this evening. Did hear some hogs but they were a decent ways away in some crazy thick stuff that I couldn't see in. Also saw three deer. Look forward to another outing soon.
Did u ever sit still any and how long ?
6 miles that a go trek.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I love squirrel hunting, but it sure is hard to pass up looking for pigs in the early season.

sprewett

Such a great time out today. Covered 8 miles over the mtns some so steep I had to grab trees to pull myself up. I wondered would I still have any strength left to pull my bow back if I saw a pig. It was a beautiful day. This morning the wind ruined my plan of attack so I attempted to walk around and flank the area that I have seen and heard pigs many times. I jumped up a deer and a bobcat. It never saw or heard any pigs. Then this afternoon I decided to change it up and go in from the southeastern side because we had a NW wind. The problem was although shorter in distance it is extremely steep and I would have to travel over several hills (small mtns).
While in the evening hunt I found plenty of deer bedding areas and saw deer and jumped many more. I also found fresh pig poop but couldn't find the donor. Jumped a bobcat and found several working dens. Once again no pigs but what an amazing day out. Feels good to stretch the legs and feel the burn in my lungs.
I tried to give my wife a hug when I got home but she squealed and said yuck. Haha. I have been soaked all day with sweat and a salt ring even on my shirt. I will say today I believe I smelled worse than I ever have but so worth it.

sprewett

Hindsight is always 20/20!
Yesterday after church everybody had something to do so I decided I would hit the woods. The wind was perfect for the place I wanted to go. I figured I would cover about 3.5 miles but that turned into around 6. On the way in I went really slow thinking pigs would probably still be bedded down. I got back to my destination and saw two good bodied deer. I realized that I didn't bring enough water and I was already getting dehydrated with a headache. I finished off what little water I had left, gave somebody's trail camera a thumbs up and took off. The hills and miles felt like Everest and marathons. Heart racing and head pounding and all I could think about was water! It was a death march going back and I said this "Lord only way I am shooting a pig is if I walk right up to it". About 15 minutes later I approached my last climb to get to the truck. I stopped to work up the courage to make the climb when 3 yards in front of me the grass moved. I looked and could see something I thought hmmm. That's either a giant opossum or a small pig. It was white and black. While I stood still trying to decide which it was I slowly started inching my pistol from the holster. I saw that it was definitely a pig. I had the pistol pointed at its head and soon as I cocked it the pig noticed me. It grunted turned around and began walking through the weeds. I thought let me get a better vantage point so I moved up hill a bit and now the pig is about 20 yards. I am scrambling for my rangefinder that is tied up worst than a fishing reel my son uses. I fought and fought with it all the whole a pig parade is passing in front of me. Littles ones, big ones and in between ones. One of the bigger ones stopped broadside and stood there for what seemed like forever. I thought about putting my 40 yard pin (I had my bow also) on her and letting it fly but I didn't want to risk injury I wanted to kill it! So I refrained. Finally after what seemed like an eternity I get my rangefinder and it was 55 yards. The pigs have slowly moved on. I thought I can probably stalk em and cut them off at the next hill, but I was exhausted. So I whimped out and just watched them walk away. The Lord gave me my opportunity but I hesitated. Nonetheless it was a real hoot seeing them. Hopefully next time I will wash this rookie sign off.

frankwright

You are getting closer, just a matter of time.

I have learned with pigs, don't wait. Shoot the first one you see as fast as you can because they will scatter for no reason.

sprewett

Today's adventure: I went to my local WMA and was looking forward to getting after it. I didn't really have a plan but the wind was in my favor for where I saw pigs the other day. Went to the spot walked in waited for a bit didn't see anything decided to check another spot on the way out I crept into the woods and watch a doe for a few minutes that never knew I was there. Man, I never get tired of seeing deer in the woods. Decided I would check a new spot I had never been before but in the same general area. I went down a fire break to walk the edge of a clear cut in a hardwood creek bottom. The area had really fresh sign, but I never saw anything. The wind changed as usual for me so I decided I would start looking for persimmon trees for bow season. Weird thing is I found two persimmons not tree but individual persimmons with no tree anywhere. I was standing looking at what appears to be a good pinch point when I heard something sawing on a hickory nut. I looked and realized it was coming from the tree. Way at the top I noticed a squirrel. My first thought was he is way out of range but he began making his way towards me as I stood there. When he began to run down a tree about 20 yards from me I decided I am gonna shoot him. I followed him with the scope and when he stopped I squeezed. First, I thought I missed because he just stayed in place but then I saw his back bow and down he went. He hit the ground with a big thud and I said dawg gone that's a good un. I guess this morning when I prayed the Lord would send me a pig he sent me a big ole fat pig fox squirrel. Gonna make some tacos out of him tonight. @bfriendly

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_103819654_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230901_103819654_HDR.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230901_103731085.jpg
    IMG_20230901_103731085.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 11

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Bummer I couldn’t go Monday evening, but when we do hook up, don’t expect me to keep up With your distances! I’m gonna go this AM and see if I can get another shot at one! I got the .22 mag dialed in this time, so no excuses…..Fingers crossed!

Latest posts