Need some Diabetic meal ideas

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I recently found out I have diabetes they are going to try to treat it with diet and hopefully I won't have to take shots. I need you folks to give me some examples of all 3 meals. I will not eat grapefruit,beets,brussel sprouts or asparagus all else is fair game. I've always liked country cooking so if anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it alot. If you could give me examples of actual meals it would be more helpful than the books that tell you to eat so much of this and that.
Thanks,
Dale

crackerdave

I see those commercials for "Nutrasystem" all the time,and they have a diabetic plan,too.Don't know anything about it,other than it looks like it would simplify meal planning and cooking.Prob'ly expensive.

Take care of yourself,brother.:)

papagil

Diabetic meals

Let me ask my wife tonight, I have some Diabetic cook books you can have, if I can find them. I let you know this evening or first thing in the morning.

papagil

Sargent

Learn to read labels.

Go to a nutritionist.

Don't eat ANYTHING with "high frutcose corn syrup" as an ingredient (you'll be amazed how many items have it).

Sweet potatoes with olive oil and cinnamon.

Spinach

Whole grain breads. Make sure to look out for corn syrup. If it doesn't have "whole" as one of the first words in the ingredients, put it down.

Sugar-free jello

If you want to sweeten something, forget Splenda, Nutrasweet, etc. Use Stevia. Its natural and it tastes like sugar.

Take cinnamon tablets as a supplement- it lowers blood sugar naturally

Drink green tea- remember to sweeten it with Stevia (you have to add stevia while it is hot- stevia doesn't dissolve well in cold liquids). I add it while it is steeping and then pour it over a cup of ice.

If you're not drinking tea, drink water.

Diet soft drinks actually make your body hungrier and it raises blood sugar.

Walk often.

Don't eat carbohydrate-heavy foods for dinner.

Don't eat 2-3 hours before going to sleep.

Walk after eating.

If I think of more, I'll add them.

Sargent

Oil/vinegar based salad dressings... no more Ranch.

No matter how tempting, stay away from ice cream with Splenda. It will wreck your stomach.

Sugar-free Jello pudding- eat it or freeze it for a homemade pudding pop.

If you enjoy the occasional drink, have a glass of red wine. It helps lower blood sugar.

Low-carb wraps for sandwiches instead of bread.

Olive oil mayo.

If you don't already, take at least 1200mg of fish oil per day.

DanTroop2000

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have been a diatebic for 20 years and eating cinnamon wil lower your sugar. I eat cinnamon toast some day my sugar count will get to low.

marknga

GONetwork Member
I cut out all "whites": white bread, white taters (sweet potatos are good for you!), white rice... carbs=sugars. Gotta cut them out.
Went from frying everything to baking or grilling, got to liking it too!

As suggested above: Walk. Walking is the best thing that you can do for your diabetes. When first diagnosed I weighed about 255 blood sugar was 300+. Changed my diet and started walking. At first walked for 15 minutes then slowly worked my way up to an hour a day. In a year I lost down to 180, Blood sugar 90-95 and the doctor took me off the Metformin.
As far as sweets? The Mayfield "No Sugar Added" Vanilla is good ice cream. I "rewarded myself every night with a small bowl.
Whatever you eat, eat in moderation.

Good luck!

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks for the responses. I still would like some examples of all 3 daily meals.

crackerdave

Seriously, if money was not a problem and I was diabetic,I'd look into the Nutrisystem deal.The meals are all planned,right down to dessert.I guess you just microwave 'em?

garuralgal

With Nutrisystem, you still have to add veggies and fruits to your diet, so that is also an added cost. They will tell you to do so.

Breakfast? Eggs are okay every couple of days, with fruit and a slice of whole grain bread or even the cinnamon bread. Or milk with a whole grain no sugar added cereal (like cream of wheat or oatmeal).

Lunch? salad with oil and vinegar dressing, slices of lean ham or beef with a slice of cheese, tomatoes and cucumbers, and a fruit.

Dinner? Chicken either grilled, baked or cooked in a slow cooker, veggie (cooked or raw), beans (like pinto or red/black) or brown rice or yellow potato, salad, and a fruit.

As snacks between meals, a fruit or raw veggies.

You can eat as much raw veggies as you want. Won't hurt you. You should eat 3-5 fruits a day. 2-3 servings of meat. 2-3 starches (eating a white starch once in awhile won't hurt you - just not every day).

Meats should be eaten lean. Not necessarily cooked lean, but eaten lean - no skins and remove the fatty clumps.

Born2Trade

A big help is eat smaller amounts of any food you eat you will shock your system with large meals ,also everyone is different and different foods will effect you different then the next guy ,check your sugar often to learn what effects your sugar the most I have been a type 2 diabetic for 15 years , as someone else said read labels just because its sugar free dont mean it calorie free ,I eat meat if its bbq no sauce or very little, I eat alot of veggies with supper,Cool whip is low in sugar and you can make sugar free pie with sugar free pudding mix and a graham cracker crust peanut butter is a good snack,I could go on and on but you need to go to the grocery store and read labels its no fun at first but you will learn as you go its not the end of the world, look for the Atkins diet thats a low carb diet which you could go by some ,theres alot of good advice here already ,GoodLuck and in a final note if its in the house you will eat it and if its not you wont

Doyle

For a sweetner, do a Google search on "white tupelo honey". It is unique in that it is the only honey that most doctors will allow a diabetic to consume.