New Kennel

Thought I would let everyone checkout my new kennels that I built for my litters of pups. If they work out I plan to build them to house all my dogs. I still have to put the metal on the top and seal the boxes. I will also add a gutter to the back to catch the waste and run it into a bucket on the far side. Seems to be working well so far. Whts your thoughts. anyone else using this kind of setup? I would rather have concrete slabs but this was easier and cheper for me to build.

Attachments

• DSC03075.JPG
    DSC03075.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 3,851
  • DSC03076.JPG
    DSC03076.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 1,260
T

tuffdawg

We are about to do the exact same thing!!! Those are nice. :) You did a great job. :)

The only difference is..... Ours will be 5 feet wide, 10 feet long, and instead of building boxes inside on the floor, or outside...... We are building "lofts" in each section. And are closing in the top sections. So basically we are building the same things you have, they will just be two story condo's. 10 pens the size I described will cost us $800-900. Almost the same price as a slab the same size. :)

T

tuffdawg

Those are nice. Our total kennel will be 50' long, 10 ' deep........ and 6' high.

How far off the ground did you do yours???

Mine is set up on a slight slope but at the back it is 24" to the floor and about 14" at the doors. 2' gives me 6' to the roof so I dont have to bend over when I get in them. I plan to put lights in each bay and still have to finish the other box for the first bay. Another litter will be ready to move soon. Without the metal for the roof i have about $400 in these. Your prices seem much better. Are you using treated lumber?

ejs1980

Is that welded wire fencing? I just built a 5x5 and had about 200 in it but I used horse panel instead of welded wire. I also have mine two feet off the ground and it really helps when you start to load dogs to take them hunting. The puppies know how to load before the first time they go to the woods.Also is that plywood? I used 5/4 decking and it's holding up good so far. A buddy of mine used plywood it lasted about 4 years but he uses a pressure washer everyday.

5/4 decking , 4x4, and 2x6. Used Red Brand welded wire kennel wire from Lowes. I used 3/4 plywood to build the boxes. I knew plywood would last like i wanted it to. Once I cover the kennel with metal the decking should last for quite some time.

T

tuffdawg

Mine is set up on a slight slope but at the back it is 24" to the floor and about 14" at the doors. 2' gives me 6' to the roof so I dont have to bend over when I get in them. I plan to put lights in each bay and still have to finish the other box for the first bay. Another litter will be ready to move soon. Without the metal for the roof i have about $400 in these. Your prices seem much better. Are you using treated lumber?

Yes we are using pressure treated lumber. :) But my husband does construction for a living........ and he knows all the tricks..... and where to get the good deals. :) The only thing NOT figured in that cost, is the wire. Mainly, because we are still deciding on what to use.

DSGB

Is the flooring wood?

I would be concerned about the urine breaking down the wood.

Horse panels would be the strongest but cost about 65.00 for 1 panel 16' long. Dogs wont chew through that but I have never had a problem with Kennel wire from Lowes. I use the Red Brand its 44.00 for a 60" x50' roll. Chain link is higher than that. I think it would take awhile to break down the wood. Clean daily spray down with a disinfectant weekly if needed.

T

tuffdawg

Hey..... just wanted to throw in that hog panels are pretty much the same..... just larger squares the higher you go, they average about $21-25 a 16' panel, depending on where you get them. :)

T

tuffdawg

How much of a space did you leave between the floor boards?

Good question. :)

However, if you build the floor flush....... the wood will draw and reveal spacing that is near perfect after a bit of weathering. :)

ejs1980

I left about an eigth of an inch between mine. It's had dogs in it for about 6 months. No problem on breaking down yet. I used the horse panel instead of welded wire because the only kennel I ever built with it came apart. Just one spot where the dog jumped over and over next to the gate. It wasn't red brand so that may be alot better. Let us know how they hold up. The horse panel was only 50 a panel six months ago and it has gone up alot. I stayed away fron the hog panel because they are not as tall and the holes get alot bigger fast as you go up. If you want something for full grown dogs goat panel is less than horse panel but has 4x4 holes instead of 2x4.

I butted my boards against the other. Not much space but enough. I would have prefered the horse panels ,maybe on the next set. Theses are working well so far.

SLC23

hi im new and was wondering what are the kennels for because i see some pictures of kennels in a fenced yard so could someone explain:biggrin3:

T

tuffdawg

hi im new and was wondering what are the kennels for because i see some pictures of kennels in a fenced yard so could someone explain:biggrin3:

:rolleyes: Because even in a fenced yard.... You cant have 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 dogs running rampant.

There comes a time with a litter of pups when they have to be separated from their mothers.

There comes a time when you have to individually separate the pups to prevent domintation issues throughout the litter.

There comes a time when within your program to where you have a couple dogs that dont get along with one another, hence they have to be seperated.

some people just dont want a pack of dogs ripping the yard apart.

There comes a time to where you might even have to isolate a dog or two due too an illness of some sort.

Kennels are used by dog people for a list of reasons. A fenced yard isnt the answer to everything.

SLC23

im interested in starting to breed dogs so i dont know alot.

why do you use concrete for the floor

and do you breed dogs

JuliaH

Hi,

I am not TuffDawg, but yours is an interesting question. New breeders are important to any breed they choose, if the new breeder knows what he/she wants and is willing to do the homework :)

First, I would ask you to know what breed you want to produce, and are you going to be able to at least try to breed toward the betterment of your chosen dogs?

Now to your question... I personally use concrete floors and safe kennels. Many on this forum have a lot of good ideas, different ideas than mine, on kennels! But the concrete floor is great for keeping clean. With a concrete floor and a comfy dog house in each kennel, I have a pretty easy time keeping things clean and I can bleach as often as needed. If I get a sick dog, the kennel floor should be bleached daily if needed...

I do breed dogs, exclusively German Shorthaired Pointers. Some of my pups have gone to pet homes but most go to homes where they will be allowed to be bird dogs, as they are bred to be.

Julia

im interested in starting to breed dogs so i dont know alot.

why do you use concrete for the floor

and do you breed dogs