New Scope help.

Shane Dockery

Good morning all. I'm looking to replace my old Leupold VX-1 on my Remington 300 win mag. I'm going to send this one back for warranty claim because it's getting moisture inside/fogging up internally during cold/wet mornings, so since it'll be off my rifle, I'm ready to upgrade.

I'm really having a hard time deciding between the Vortex Viper or Venom, Leupold VX-3HD/VX-5HD, or Trijicon. All seem like great scopes and definitely an upgrade no matter what. Budget is $1K or under.

Thanks!

fatback

If you can find a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 I’d go with that. If you don’t need the firedot reticle then you might get it for your budget. If you want the firedot you’ll have to search a bit harder but you might be able to find one under 1K. I’ve got this scope on both of my 300 win mags, a couple of 30-06, and a 25-06. I have had good experiences with all of them.

Gator89

Good morning all. I'm looking to replace my old Leupold VX-1 on my Remington 300 win mag. I'm going to send this one back for warranty claim because it's getting moisture inside/fogging up internally during cold/wet mornings, so since it'll be off my rifle, I'm ready to upgrade.

I'm really having a hard time deciding between the Vortex Viper or Venom, Leupold VX-3HD/VX-5HD, or Trijicon. All seem like great scopes and definitely an upgrade no matter what. Budget is $1K or under.

Thanks!

Of the last few "quality" scopes I have bought, I have given Trijicon my money.

I have a VX-3HD 3-10 x 40 one on 6.5G, but it is not the quality scope my Trijicons are.

I have 2 older VXIII 3.5 to10 X 50 that are great scopes, one was purchased in 1995 and it is still working great.

Lilly001

I, also, have and like the VX5.
Mines a 2-10 with the fire dot. It’s on a Browning x bolt in 6.5 cm.
It’s a really great scope. The best I’ve ever used.
My Wifey bought it for my birthday. Otherwise it was probably more $ than I would pay.
I’ve got several VX3s and older conquest but the VX 5 is notably better.

hunter 85

My honest opinion on the vx5 is if you can swing it when comparing apples it is better bang going with the vx6. When you add in the cost of the alumiflips but that like at 999 isn’t bad.

Jim Boyd

At that budget I would think you could get a nice Zeiss or Meopta?

Shane Dockery

Thanks folks, appreciate the input. Some good food for thought.

Deerhead

Just saw a VX-5HD 3-15 x 56 mm with the Illuminated Firedot reticle listed in the Classifieds for $700

marlin

Last two scopes I bought were the trijicon accupoint 2.5 x 10 x56. No batteries to worry about replacing. I called customer service before buying them about tritium dot life expectancy. They said 12 years and if it goes out before then send it in and they will determine if it’s replaceable on their dime. At that time replacement cost would be around 200.00 dollars if it goes out after 12 years of use. They are very clear early morning and late afternoon.

Shane Dockery

Again, thanks for the input. That VX-5HD deal on GON classifieds is a GREAT deal, but I just can't put a 56mm OB scope on my rig. My gun doesn't have an adjustable cheek rest, and using super high rings would be needed. Eurooptics was running a good sale on the Trijicon Accupoint, so I bit the bullet and bought the 2.5-12.5x42mm MOA Dot scope. Looks great, and I can't wait to get it sighted in. Scope and new rings and I'm under my $1K budget.