No offense to Leupold users

Darkhorse

I guess I've had more Leupolds than any other. In my neck of the woods they were considered top of the line. A cut above normal...
I never had a problem with any of them.
I still have 2, an ancient VX2 3X9 that remains clear as a bell and tracts true. It's in my gun safe waiting on a suitable rifle.
And a VX 3 or III, I'd have to look at it. 3.5 X 10 X 40 that I bought in 97 for my .300 win mag. Right now it's on my 7mm Rem. mag. but I have swapped it between my .300 as need arose.
I know my Leupolds are old and I know nothing about the new ones. So I can't speak to their quality but the one's I've had have performed marveously from the Georgia woods to the New Mexico and Colorado Elk mountains.
I'm not one to keep buying new stuff. I research well, and if it works I keep it. My go to scope now is a lower end zeiss 3x9x40 bought for my Tikka .308 and I doubt I will ever remove it.
I once shot an awful lot and we kept several calibers around especially when we had a country circuit of gun clubs holding rifle matches, but those days, along with my youth are gone. And out here at the end of nowhere I don't have a use for more than I've got.
But I've already decided the next rifle I purchase will wear a european scope, most likely a Meopta.

Reactions: Dub

Bobby Bigtime

I really wanted a low variable freedom with the pigplex reticle. In the store, I moved the magnification dial and the cross hairs swiveled ? now I don't know what to think. Obviously I didn't buy it but the salesman and I (a guy about my age) had never seen that before....ever

Ajohnson0587

I saw the writing on the walls almost 10yrs ago, I sold over 20 Leupold scopes and replaced them with Vortex. IMO, they are a better scope, they most certainly have better glass, and to top it off, their customer service and VIP warranty is the best there is. With the exception of 4 NightForce scopes, every other magnified optic I own is a vortex.

fauxferret

Having worked in this industry for the better half of the past decade and some change I can attest to Leupold not being what they used to be. From Jan-Dec 2019 I sent back 21 to the factory for customers. I understand that they technically are made in the USA but the quality is no longer what it was. It degraded especially in 2020 to today. I will say once you get past the $1500+ price point there are fewer that get sent for repair. Buuuuuuuut that shouldn't be the case. Personally I run Vortex on a lot of stuff cause I'm cheap and you can literally break it and they'll repair it.

Bobby Bigtime

I asked a Leupold rep that was on a sponsored elk hunt in our area last fall about the situation I explained in my earlier post regarding the freedom low power variable and the cross hairs swiveling. He said it would not have been the result of the power being adjusted but the lense with the reticle being loose. He recommended stepping up to a higher value model as the quality control is better. I really wanted to like that little scope

GregoryB.

I have several of the Freedom series scopes and have not had any issues yet. Have a 2x7 with the hunt plex on a 45-70. They are definitely not the same quality as the older scopes.

Dub

I have a pile of guns with the golden ring glass on 'em.

Never had any issues.

That being said the only one of them that is "new" production is a VX5HD that's going on an M70 .270.

Time will tell how it goes....

My last few scope buys have been Burris stuff on sale and Nightforce for the guns that I know will see some serious use.

killerv

I really wanted a low variable freedom with the pigplex reticle. In the store, I moved the magnification dial and the cross hairs swiveled ? now I don't know what to think. Obviously I didn't buy it but the salesman and I (a guy about my age) had never seen that before....ever

I have the vx-hog and love it!

I wish nikon was still making scopes, I think the rebranding they did the past 10 years with all the different levels of buckmasters, prostaffs and monarchs, just got confusing and hurt them. Back in the day...prostaff was the cheap one, buckmaster in the middle, monarch was the king. Then they had to change all that up.

Jester896

Senior Clown
anybody who makes camera lenses should be good at rifle scope glass too.
Pentax LightSeekers are mighty fine too.

Nikon even had levels of camera lenses...both the E Series and AI series