No nighttime pictures but plenty of daytime pics

lildorris00

I’m on roughly 100 acres, Iv got a 3 acre plot in the middle of the property surrounded by some pretty thick hills with natural pine regrowth after they were cut. During the day/evening, I’ll have deer in the plot all afternoon. There were 13 in it at 5pm last night. Once it gets dark, most nights I get zero or very few pics. What/where do you think my deer go at night?

I know the cameras take night pics but just don’t get nearly as many. Any thoughts? It’s been this way since Thanksgiving so maybe post rut behavior?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m on roughly 100 acres, Iv got a 3 acre plot in the middle of the property surrounded by some pretty thick hills with natural pine regrowth after they were cut. During the day/evening, I’ll have deer in the plot all afternoon. There were 13 in it at 5pm last night. Once it gets dark, most nights I get zero or very few pics. What/where do you think my deer go at night?

I know the cameras take night pics but just don’t get nearly as many. Any thoughts? It’s been this way since Thanksgiving so maybe post rut behavior?
Now I know where all mine are going in the daytime. :)

across the river

Outside of the rut, deer will typically follow a fairly predictable pattern much of the time, but it can change depending on the food source changes, hunting pressure, etc….. If they don’t feel pressure or threatened at a particular spot or food source then they have no issue feeding during the day. They may very well be headed to another food source that they are hitting at night, but they are bedding close to your food plot during the day and are just hitting it before they head on to wherever they are feeding once it gets dark. Could be any number of reasons, but I have hunted tracts where you could hunt one part of the property and see tons of daytime activity and another part and see drastically fewer daytime numbers and it can change as the season progresses. Typically it is related to the location and proximity of where they are feeding verses where they are bedding verses where they feel secure.