Northern Zone baiting still alive

LIB MR ducks

The entire state can bait. One half can hunt right on top of the bait. The other half has to be 200 yds away from the bait.

Notice he didn't say how to get around this "Whereas":

not to mention all the existing law that specifically references the Northern and Southern zones.

So that means the Board can make the whole state southern zone right? ::ke:

lampern

Interesting language by the governor:

“an appropriate expansion of the Southern Zone......”

"Ordered: That the Department of Natural Resources evaluate and determine an appropriate expansion of the Southern Zone and present such findings to the Board for action based on sound wildlife management principles."

What defines appropriate expansion of the Southern Zone?

What kind of action does he demand the DNR board take?

What if the DNR board takes action rejecting any expansion of the Southern Zone for baiting? Are they defying the governor's executive order?

I'm guessing the DNR board has no choice but to approve (rubber stamp) whatever the DNR employees present to them?

Why didn't the governor specfically mention what counties should be added to the SZ in regards to baiting?

Last edited:

lampern

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) "Northern zone" means the northern zone for hunting deer with firearms as established pursuant to subsection (c) of Code Section 27-3-15.
(2) "Southern zone" means the southern zone for hunting deer with firearms as established pursuant to subsection (c) of Code Section 27-3-15.

(c) In accordance with subsection (b) of this Code section and as may be appropriate, based on sound wildlife management principles, the board is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations establishing open seasons on a state-wide, regional, or local basis and establishing daily and season bag limits.

Interesting that there is no longer a "northern zone" or "southern zone" found in 27-3-15.

The state went to a statewide deer season in 2015 and abolished the two different zones.

So does that invalidate the defintions of 'northern zone' and 'southern zone' in 27-3-9?

Back in 2011 there was a northern zone and a southern zone with different season dates.

Today in 2018 there is not and the law has not been changed to reflect that.

Tombuster

I don’t care which way it goes but I find it interesting that a quarter mile from where I hunt (southern/northern line) there’s some imaginary demarcation line and deer on one side are different from deer on the other side.

lampern

In the state law/code there is no longer a demarcation line.

Surprised the pro baiters have not pointed that out.

Possum

Banned
I don’t remember this much whining back when there where two separate deer seasons for the north/ south parts of state. When I first started hunting, season was a few weeks shorter in the north half of state as it was in the south. Wasn’t a big deal! What happened in the last 20 years to deer hunters? Social media turn y’all into a bunch of whining, complaining, drama queens. It’s fine to state your opinion when asked but the complaining I hear is really pathetic.

red neck richie

I don’t remember this much whining back when there where two separate deer seasons for the north/ south parts of state. When I first started hunting, season was a few weeks shorter in the north half of state as it was in the south. Wasn’t a big deal! What happened in the last 20 years to deer hunters? Social media turn y’all into a bunch of whining, complaining, drama queens. It’s fine to state your opinion when asked but the complaining I hear is really pathetic.

I guess back then some people were ok with getting a bad deal. Thanks to the Governor for realizing that all Georgians deserve the same laws and that there was a lot of filibustering going on. The bait debate goes on. I don't know why I feel like listening to the Bee Gees.:cool:

Possum

Banned
I guess back then some people were ok with getting a bad deal. Thanks to the Governor for realizing that all Georgians deserve the same laws and that there was a lot of filibustering going on. The bait debate goes on. I don't know why I feel like listening to the Bee Gees.:cool:

Back then deer hunters were men, not crybabies. It was only a bad deal to the minority of crybaby hunters. These days y’all are sadly in the majority.

red neck richie

Back then deer hunters were men, not crybabies. It was only a bad deal to the minority of crybaby hunters. These days y’all are sadly in the majority.

So your claim is people that dont agree with you are crybabies. If I dont agree with you, you throw out insults. Yeah you sound like a real man. :rofl:

Possum

Banned
So your claim is people that dont agree with you are crybabies. If I dont agree with you, you throw out insults. Yeah you sound like a real man. :rofl:

I was raised not to whine, cry and complain. I’ve raised my kids the same way. I just find it really sad that some of you grown men seem to struggle so much with how unfair life is.

red neck richie

I was raised not to whine, cry and complain. I’ve raised my kids the same way. I just find it really sad that some of you grown men seem to struggle so much with how unfair life is.

I dont struggle with it at all. I was raised to fight for what is right and stand up for yourself.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So that means the Board can make the whole state southern zone right? ::ke:

That ought to be fun, huh? I'm guessing the General Assembly won't make a peep.:bounce:

lampern

Read carefully we all going to be southern zone

There is no southern zone vs northern zone anymore.

That went away in 2015 when the state went to a single statewide deer season.

The baiting law has not been updated or changed to reflect that. The baiting law language dates from 2011 when there was a southern zone and northern zone.

That is the "wild card" in all this hunters, the DNR, the General Assembly and the governor are missing.

Unless the DNR/WRD has had the power to change deer baiting laws all along???