O.K......Law Enforcement........Tell me why..........

QuakerBoy

I would have to admit that is irritating Al.....but rolling through red lights is a little different IMO.

not saying they all do it...but I've seen plenty of it

Chuck Martin

Well Tim it's as plain as the nose on your face man, I mean really. The coffee that he'd gotten from the Krispy Kream was working on him and he had to get to the precient to go 10-100 :rolleyes:

Dude, no disrespect intended..........but how are we gonna know? We can't tell you if he was on a call where using lights and sirenges would give his location away or if he was just ignorant and abusing his authority. If I had a dime for everytime I've been asked something like this over the last 17 years I could afford to take you out to Hooters ::ke: It's no different than asking a plumber why he smells funny or why a used car salesman is a lier or..........you get my point. In all professions and circumstances we see folks doing things that are stupid and wonder why...........sorta like why would anybody hunt without their orange vest on :whip:

Have a good day Tim ;)

Al33

I don't have a provlem with them doing it, with due caution of course. Why? Because I do not know why he did it. There are plenty of reasons for an officer to justify it, too many to list.

I appreciate the work they do and I'll be elmoed if I am going to complain on them for something like this.

Al

ncman

Like someone said before; there is no one to stop them. I too see them abusing such powers quite often. Especially speed limits. They can't be in a hurry all the time.

Chuck Martin

ncman said:
Like someone said before; there is no one to stop them. I too see them abusing such powers quite often. Especially speed limits. They can't be in a hurry all the time.
Try 10 officers on duty in a county with an average of 20 to 25 calls holding at any given time.

PWalls

I too have never understood the speeding thing. I set my cruise for 7 miles over the speed limit on roads tops. Then I am amazed at the number of LEO's that speed by me with their cruises set on 10-15 mph over the speed limit with no lights on and no apparent rush. Are they better than me? If there is a rush, then put on the lights and speed and I'll get out of the way. But, to pull up behind me speeding without the lights and want me to get out of the way so they can speed on is rude. Without thoes lights, they should obey the speed limit like everyone else (or at least the unwritten 10 mph thing).

woody116

I too get asked this one ALL THE TIME. I was a school resource officer for 3 years, it was almost daily.
Bottom line is this. In Il, an officer is only required to use lights and/or siren in pursuit of a traffic violation. Thats it.
We do not use lights and siren to go to domestics. If it verbal, there is not a need to put everyone at risk by screaming thru intersections. However, there is a need to get there quick. We may not always use lights and siren to go to a physical domestic. Why? I would prefer that they not hear me coming from miles away and be waiting for me. Same with burglar alarms/ or in progress calls. Armed robbery is the same as well.
Like Chuck said, we have huge areas to cover (ours is 520+ square miles) with not many people. Think about how you would feel if you called because of a suspicious person in your area, and 30 min later an officer arrives. Or, what if it is your wife/daughter whose car is broke down at 3am, and it takes the officer 30 min to get there.

Does it get abused? Sure. But, more often than not, I think that it could be justified.

stumpman

Banned
Woody I know how it feels. My inlaws set my alarm off at the house and 44minutes later a deputy arrives and asked what was going on my bro in law toold him he drove off without even getting out of the car. I'm sure there are times when yall are going to calls. I don't think you take your wife and kids on calls speeding down the interstate. This happens all the time around here. No excuse for it just a abuse of power most of the time.

PWalls

Are you serious about the 10mph over thing? It is written? Didn't know that.

I don't see the reasoning behind the coverage area and speeding. Are you saying that because there is so much area to cover per officer, that it is OK to speed faster than everyone else so you can cover it faster? I don't see it. They could be speeding faster in the opposite direction from the call in which case had they not been speedint, they would have gotten to the call in the opposite direction sooner. Also, if there is a call, then sirens should come on and real speeding should occur (not just the little bit over that they get away with). Constant speeding is not the answer for lack of officers. More officers is.

mpowell

i think this is a legitimate post. no one's above the law, especially those that are in positions of enforcing it.

lead by example as the saying goes.

SCPO

i was wondering what is the reason for the blue and black tape you see on rear of police officers personel car.

Nick_T

Banned
SCPO said:
i was wondering what is the reason for the blue and black tape you see on rear of police officers personel car.

That IDs them as law enforcement, like the black and red strip sticker signifies firefighter.

Not going into the reasoning behind them putting one on their personal vehicles, it'll open a whole can of worms.

PM me if interested.

Nick T

Nick_T

Banned
Some law enforcement individuals will not issue a ticket to another person in law enforcement unless it's under special circumstances. The little sticker is a way for them to initially identify themselfs, which is usually verified by a flash of the badge when asked for their liscence and ins. card. It's considered a professonal courtasy.

Nick T

Chuck Martin

Lucky

I think what is being refered to is the misconception of the mysterious "10 mph" rule.......meaning that when making radar cases City and County Agencies don't write speed cases until 11 miles over per state statue however State Agencies can enforce at 1mph over.

For reference see OCGA 40-14-8 (a)

Nick_T

Banned
The 10MPH over was the way I understood things also, but I ain't got anything to verify that either.

Get on I475 North just south of Macon at 7:45 in the morning and cruz the speed limit, and watch how many GPS units go by you at 90+ running late to the Training Center in Forsyth.

Nick T

Chuck Martin

Nick_T said:
The 10MPH over was the way I understood things also, but I ain't got anything to verify that either.

Get on I475 North just south of Macon at 7:45 in the morning and cruz the speed limit, and watch how many GPS units go by you at 90+ running late to the Training Center in Forsyth.

Nick T
There was a big shake up over that very thing last year. The local Agencies were told that they WOULD issue citation for speeding infractions regardless of who it was and the GSP as well as most Departments sent out warnings over speeding on I-75 going to the trainging center. I know of a couple of guys who did tote tickets while driving marked units.

QuakerBoy

Nick_T said:
. The little sticker is a way for them to initially identify themselfs, which is usually verified by a flash of the badge when asked for their liscence and ins. card. It's considered a professonal courtasy.

Nick T

in other words they can break traffic laws in their own car on their own time also ::huh: