Old-Timey Barbershop

crackerdave

Are they extinct?

I mean a shop that has a pot-belly wood stove with an unlimited supply of good seasoned hickory wood to burn with a big coffee pot sittin' on the burner and a beautiful young lady to keep your mug full.....

Does one still exist in some little town within easy driving distance for us old men? If not,I need to open one! I'm pining for the good old days.
Anybody else?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
There's one that's pretty close to old school in Waycross.

No coffee lady, no wood stove, but they do run a coffee pot, and you can still get a shave with a razor.

Kind of a young dude running it, but he's got the Old Ways in mind for what a barbershop should be.

Ain't no froo-froo crapola to be seen...

Toliver

No coffee lady, no wood stove, but they do run a coffee pot, and you can still get a shave with a razor.

Kind of a young dude running it, but he's got the Old Ways in mind for what a barbershop should be.

Same in Dallas but I haven't been there in years so I don't know how much it may have changed. I'm sure the old man has retired by now. He did the best flat tops around and cut my hair for years. But I cut my own now and have for a while but I kinda miss sitting in the old chair, the hot towels, the straight razor and the retired guys just sitting around visiting.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Same in Dallas but I haven't been there in years so I don't know how much it may have changed. I'm sure the old man has retired by now. He did the best flat tops around and cut my hair for years. But I cut my own now and have for a while but I kinda miss sitting in the old chair, the hot towels, the straight razor and the retired guys just sitting around visiting.
Fred's, on 61 just south of New Georgia was fairly decent. Covid put him out of business. He was an oriental guy but knew his stuff. I used him for several years till he went under. It's a shame too. I haven't gotten a haircut since covid either... :bounce:

Hillbilly stalker

No stove...but there's alot of "pot bellied" old farts where I get my ears lowered.:rofl:2 Gals cut hair there, $10 for a mans haircut. 25 years ago fellows went there so they could look at their pretty legs while getting a haircut. They have to use disposable razors for a shave, DHEC says that or sterilize the blades after every shave. Aint but a weeks difference between a good haircut and a bad one anyway. I walked into work one day and they was about 1/2 dozen full grown men talking about which "Salon" they got there haircut at ? facepalm: After a good horse laugh I rode them like a government mule.....talking about a "Salon", bunch of yuppies.

WishboneW

No stove...but there's alot of "pot bellied" old farts where I get my ears lowered.:rofl:2 Gals cut hair there, $10 for a mans haircut. 25 years ago fellows went there so they could look at their pretty legs while getting a haircut. They have to use disposable razors for a shave, DHEC says that or sterilize the blades after every shave. Aint but a weeks difference between a good haircut and a bad one anyway. I walked into work one day and they was about 1/2 dozen full grown men talking about which "Salon" they got there haircut at ? facepalm: After a good horse laugh I rode them like a government mule.....talking about a "Salon", bunch of yuppies.
Only women go to salons

Core Lokt

We lost our local barber shop when he retired. No one has opened another one. Thinking of buying my own clippers and shaving my head so I do not have to worry about it any more.
I did this for years. 1/4" all over. My SIL's mom cuts hair and I have been going to here at their house the last year per wife's request.

specialk

@elfiii might remember one in chamblee plaza, i use to get my sons hair cut there when he was a little boy...man had deer heads hanging up....when i moved south to fairburn there was one there we used...he had a compresser that he would blow my sons hair off when finished...he thought that was cool!!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member

My wife's Grandaddy barbered in Waycross for many years.

Lindseys Grandpa

We lost our local barber shop when he retired. No one has opened another one. Thinking of buying my own clippers and shaving my head so I do not have to worry about it any more.
Been doing mine for years . When it gets to bugging me break em out and be good to go for about 3-4 months . Me going to a stylist like giving a bath to a pig .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Are they extinct?

I mean a shop that has a pot-belly wood stove with an unlimited supply of good seasoned hickory wood to burn with a big coffee pot sittin' on the burner and a beautiful young lady to keep your mug full.....

Does one still exist in some little town within easy driving distance for us old men? If not,I need to open one! I'm pining for the good old days.
Anybody else?

May as well open one up Dave.

Last one I saw like your description was on the Andy Griffith show.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Eunice's Barbershop?

Downtown, on Plant Ave. They even still had shoeshine boys when I was very young.
My MIL said long ago he barbered at a shop on Plant Ave.
after that the shop moved to a location near Lyric Theater & across from Prim's Men's Shoppe.
Woodrow Willis Barbershop?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My MIL said long ago he barbered at a shop on Plant Ave.
after that the shop moved to a location near Lyric Theater & across from Prim's Men's Shoppe.
Woodrow Willis Barbershop?
I remember The Lyric, and Prim's. I don't remember Willis's Barbershop, maybe before my time, but Plant Ave would have about had to be Eunice's.

crackerdave

Sounds good!
Little out of range for me,though.
Maybe I'll build one here in Lagrange!