Old-Timey Barbershop

Havana Dude

We lost our local barber shop when he retired. No one has opened another one. Thinking of buying my own clippers and shaving my head so I do not have to worry about it any more.
Began that journey 27 years ago. Never looked back. A barbershop would be strange t me now, even after growing up in an old time barbershop.

Geffellz18

Ive been cutting my own hair for going on 15-20 yrs now, but when I’m home-back home that is- during the week, I take a trip to the only other person that is permitted to cut it-My barber. He cut my hair since my first haircut as a toddler until I moved to GA.
Nothing like you described, but a true barber that is a master of his craft. A 3 chair shop and folks still wait upwards of an hour or longer just for him at times. When I go now, I get there as he’s opening up-and it doesn’t take long for the waiting chairs to fill up shortly after. Starts turning folks away around 3:30-4 most days just so he can close up by 5.
Still uses a straight razor to trim the neck and around the ears!
Always enjoy when I can go sit in his chair and catch up! Doubt he’ll be doing it much longer unfortunately due to his age.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Started cutting my own in the early 90s and a lot of my friends. Did have 2 I went to when I was younger, one of them was my friend's grandpa, Mr. Parker. Did the hot lather and straight razor, finished up with a vacuum at the end.

Redbow

My regular barber died suddenly a few years ago. He didn't have a wood stove or coffee pot but he was the old school type of barber. We have a barber shop now that only charges 5 bucks for a haircut. I always give the man more than that to cut my hair. The old time barber shops are kinda like the old country stores of long ago, most are now gone. There surely are not any around our area. Good post Dave, sure brings back memories for me.

Mauser

City Barber Shop in Abbeville Al,Frank is the best I’ve found around me. Warm straight razor shaves,and electric massager across the shoulders when he’s through. Buy you some Chattahoochee game calls while you’re there too. Penny in Albany at Philema road barber shop is good too and can straight razor shave as well.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
@elfiii might remember one in chamblee plaza, i use to get my sons hair cut there when he was a little boy...man had deer heads hanging up....when i moved south to fairburn there was one there we used...he had a compresser that he would blow my sons hair off when finished...he thought that was cool!!
That brought back a childhood memory, parents would take me to one where both barbers were named Billy. I remember hearing the compressor run.
Been cutting my own for over 20 yrs with moma's help, she squares the back.

The one on base in Korea they would give you a shoulder, neck, head massage. Seems like that was about $10. Got one about every two weeks. Some said you could get the special about a yr before I got there, until one messed up and tried to give the chaplain one. :huh::huh:

oldfella1962

We lost our local barber shop when he retired. No one has opened another one. Thinking of buying my own clippers and shaving my head so I do not have to worry about it any more.
I shave my head (not super close with a razor "shave" just a military basic training buzz-cut style). I had the Tony Soprano comb-back hair style until my hairline receded too far, then I started buzzing it off. My son now has a rapidly receding hairline, so he buzzes his now too.

oldfella1962

That brought back a childhood memory, parents would take me to one where both barbers were named Billy. I remember hearing the compressor run.
Been cutting my own for over 20 yrs with moma's help, she squares the back.

The one on base in Korea they would give you a shoulder, neck, head massage. Seems like that was about $10. Got one about every two weeks. Some said you could get the special about a yr before I got there, until one messed up and tried to give the chaplain one. :huh::huh:
:ROFLMAO: Yes that ruined it for the "on base" special haircuts, but off-base they still had them when I was stationed there in the 90's. Off-base barber shops were "off limits" but one time I had to take one of my subordinates to one because the on-base shop was closed, and he needed a haircut for a "Soldier of The Quarter" competition that the unit "volunteered" him to participate in at the last minute. :mad: Hey, you have to do what you have to do sometimes.

No funny business at that barber shop, but there were some questionable health concerns: several other Koreans were getting haircuts - and some were getting shaves too - at the same time, and there were two or three barbers working. My soldier was just getting a haircut, and they were going to use a straight-razor for the close trimming around the ears/back of the neck. Everything is kosher so far....but wait! They were using ONE TOWEL to clean off all the customers freshly shaved faces/necks then passing the towel along to the next customer, and so forth! :eek: I guess that's how they do things in that culture, but whoa! That is not hygienic by any standard. That's how skin conditions/diseases/etcetera are spread!
How can a country so advanced in the latest technology not understand germ theory? :unsure:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
:ROFLMAO: Yes that ruined it for the "on base" special haircuts, but off-base they still had them when I was stationed there in the 90's. Off-base barber shops were "off limits" but one time I had to take one of my subordinates to one because the on-base shop was closed, and he needed a haircut for a "Soldier of The Quarter" competition that the unit "volunteered" him to participate in at the last minute. :mad: Hey, you have to do what you have to do sometimes.

No funny business at that barber shop, but there were some questionable health concerns: several other Koreans were getting haircuts - and some were getting shaves too - at the same time, and there were two or three barbers working. My soldier was just getting a haircut, and they were going to use a straight-razor for the close trimming around the ears/back of the neck. Everything is kosher so far....but wait! They were using ONE TOWEL to clean off all the customers freshly shaved faces/necks then passing the towel along to the next customer, and so forth! :eek: I guess that's how they do things in that culture, but whoa! That is not hygienic by any standard. That's how skin conditions/diseases/etcetera are spread!
How can a country so advanced in the latest technology not understand germ theory? :unsure:
I had forgot about them being off limits. Now that I think about it they said you could tell how much of a special you could get based on the amount of lines on the pole outside.

1701903202757.png

On a side note concerning the culture. We were having a going away luncheon at the officers club for some one. So since I'm a slow eater I arrived early and placed my order. I said down at a 12-15 person round table that they had reserved for us, Su New, most called her Sunny, the commanders secretary came in next and sat right beside me. I figured she said beside me cause she knew me since I was the 1st Sgt and my office was across from hers.

My food came out, I said my blessing and started eating. About time I was taking my second bite, she reached onto my plate with her hand and took a bite. I thought for a second, then I told her 'SuNew, that don't bother me at all, but them other folks that'll be coming will get mad at you cause Americans don't do that too often' she said me so sorry. I even offered her some more, but she refused.

WOODIE13

I had forgot about them being off limits. Now that I think about it they said you could tell how much of a special you could get based on the amount of lines on the pole outside.

View attachment 1274528

On a side note concerning the culture. We were having a going away luncheon at the officers club for some one. So since I'm a slow eater I arrived early and placed my order. I said down at a 12-15 person round table that they had reserved for us, Su New, most called her Sunny, the commanders secretary came in next and sat right beside me. I figured she said beside me cause she knew me since I was the 1st Sgt and my office was across from hers.

My food came out, I said my blessing and started eating. About time I was taking my second bite, she reached onto my plate with her hand and took a bite. I thought for a second, then I told her 'SuNew, that don't bother me at all, but them other folks that'll be coming will get mad at you cause Americans don't do that too often' she said me so sorry. I even offered her some more, but she refused.
Heard they paralyzed one guy with the massage and neck pop @ Camp Humphreys...no happy ending

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We have a barbershop here run by a gal. They still do the hot towels, straight razor and compressed air. Military and First Responders get discounts. Lots of guys getting shaves and beard trims. It’s as close as I’ve seen in a while.

oldfella1962

Heard they paralyzed one guy with the massage and neck pop @ Camp Humphreys...no happy ending
Yes I vaguely remember hearing about that soldier getting hurt from a barber massage. :( I never opted for the massage, especially from a male barber. I just don't like men squeezing on me.

WOODIE13

Yes I vaguely remember hearing about that soldier getting hurt from a barber massage. :( I never opted for the massage, especially from a male barber. I just don't like men squeezing on me.
Supposedly it was a female, now days...get in where you fit in

WOODIE13

Aspired to be John Wick.