Oldest piece of hunting equipment

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A gun is the obvious choice. What do y’all have other than that? I have a turkey vest I still use that’s 30 years old. Also have a treebark bugtamer (don’t use) about the same age
I have a Turkey vest about the same age. A set of ceramic stick knife sharpeners from when they first showed up, got to be 35 years. My compass is from the military 40 plus years ago.

Buck70

Remington sportsman's 74 in 30.06. First gun I bought in 1984. Still hunt with it. It has killed a bunch of deer and never had to blood trail.

Hillbilly stalker

An old small game vest my maw maw made for my daddy when he was a chap. She could sew up bout anything on that foot pedaled singer sewing machine. Make it look pert near store bought too. It was handed down to me when I was about 8. It don’t have a size, ur here it is laying on my 2X shirt I wear now. She even sewed a gusset in the back when my shoulders got a little wider. We didn’t had a satchel on the back, we would split the squirrels hind foot and run a limb thru it or use a big ol diaper pin. Plan on giving it to my grandson when I have one.IMG_2382.jpegIMG_2383.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
An old small game vest my maw maw made for my daddy when he was a chap. She could sew up bout anything on that foot pedaled singer sewing machine. Make it look pert near store bought too. It was handed down to me when I was about 8. It don’t have a size, ur here it is laying on my 2X shirt I wear now. She even sewed a gusset in the back when my shoulders got a little wider. We didn’t had a satchel on the back, we would split the squirrels hind foot and run a limb thru it or use a big ol diaper pin. Plan on giving it to my grandson when I have one.View attachment 1237619View attachment 1237620
That’s special!

Seminole Wind

My brother gave me this knife around 1970. I carried lt strapped to a Tom Cat climbing stand for many years. It field dressed a few deer and cleared limbs as I climbed. Good ol'knife.

buckmanmike

I've got my Grandfathers mid 60's ford 2000 tractor. I bought it from my Aunt's side of the family 20 something years ago. Tractor hasn't been cranked in 3-4 years since I bought a new, larger tractor. I also had my grandfathers 1898 Winchester lever action rifle. It's a .32 win spec caliber. I gave it to my nephew to keep in the family.

weagle

If I'm hunting trout, my main reel is a Zebco Cardinal 3 that I bought new in 1975:

7x7SW25.png

One of my favorite Deer rifles is a 1930's built Mexican small ring 98 with a full rib, half octagon barrel chambered in 9x57 mauser and sporting an old steel tube weaver.

64p6PpP.jpg

ppj1nbA.jpg

Geffellz18

Probably my dads Browning BAR 270 that I acquired some years back. Best guess it’s from the late 80’s/early 90’s.
Have a classic smooth barrel 870 wing master pump 12g that I’ve somehow misplaced. Best guess is it’s from the 70’s or early 80’s.
I’m sure it’ll turn up, but that’s probably my favorite gun to shoot. I can throw it up and I’m lined up perfect nearly every time. No other gun have I been able to be on the money with little to no adjustments-although I don’t practice much either!

Redbow

I have my Grandpa's old single shot shotgun made by the Bridge Gun Company in the early part of the twentieth century. I don't use it anymore but I could.

I have a Mosin Nagant Russian rifle that has the number 100 stamped on the receiver, I don't know what year it was made but perhaps before the turn of the twentieth century. Many millions of those rifles were made.

I had a Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55 made in 1919, the gun was in perfect condition but I gave it to my cousin for preaching my Mom's funeral.

Baroque Brass

I’m old so all my gear is too. I have guns made in the 70’s, as far as clothing, I have Wall’s insulated coveralls that I’ve had since the eighties. They’ve held up better than I have.

HughW2

My oldest is my sentimental favorite. Remington 700 .270 Win IMG_0015.jpegmade in 1983 according to serial number; same year as my graduation from college. It was my first ”nice rifle and new rifle” that I purchased with my own earnings after graduation. IIRC I bought it at Oshman’s on sale.
Not only is it a sentimental favorite it also shoots very well. Made in the glory days of Remington.

Last edited:

thumper523

I have a 1960 Winchester Model 50 semi auto 12 ga with factory 28.5" full choke barrel. My Dad gave it to me when I was 13. I won a few turkey shoots with it as sometimes it would annihilate the target.

huntfish

Oldest that I still use is a Win Model 190 22LR that I purchased for $60 new in 1975 at the Elmendorf AFB Rod and Gun Club in Anchorage, AK. I was 12 years old and saved up money delivering the DB on base. When I got that $60, I jumped on my bike and rode there to get that rifle. Now of course, they weren't going to let a 12 YO get the rifle without an adult so they called my dad who said he could be down in a couple of hours. In the meantime, a group of guys took me to the range and gave me lessons and we sighted in the rifle burning through some ammo. That group of guys turned out to be Special Forces riflemen.

Triple C

A gun is the obvious choice. What do y’all have other than that? I have a turkey vest I still use that’s 30 years old. Also have a treebark bugtamer (don’t use) about the same age
My favorite other than gun is an original Realtree chamois cloth shirt I bought from Dan Quillian’s shop in ‘89 or ‘90. Still wear it several times during hunting season.
0AD1888F-040B-45B9-AD33-00EDA681F404.jpeg
79402990-2528-447C-A844-7528DC01EC94.jpeg

2nd is a Case Elephant Toe knife from 1983. Gave it to my son bout 10 yrs ago.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite other than gun is an original Realtree chamois cloth shirt I bought from Dan Quillian’s shop in ‘89 or ‘90. Still wear it several times during hunting season.
View attachment 1237871
View attachment 1237872

2nd is a Case Elephant Toe knife from 1983. Gave it to my son bout 10 yrs ago.
I've got a shirt just like that, except no logo. One of my favorites, wear it often in the winter.

sprewett

A savage model 111 my grandfather gave me, I still hunt with took my first buck with it this past year.
Fishing I have a rod that the company stopped making rods in 1946. It is an ultralight. I had to catch just one fish on it. I hooked. 1lb bass and it was a lot of fun.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have an Iver Johnson 16 gauge semi-hammerless improved model 1900 like this one. It was originally my great-grandpa's. It was made in 1906. I still shoot it now and then.

pix589270074.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
I got a few and will post when my patio table gets some sunlight.