Oldest piece of hunting equipment

WishboneW

Oldest that I still use is a Win Model 190 22LR that I purchased for $60 new in 1975 at the Elmendorf AFB Rod and Gun Club in Anchorage, AK. I was 12 years old and saved up money delivering the DB on base. When I got that $60, I jumped on my bike and rode there to get that rifle. Now of course, they weren't going to let a 12 YO get the rifle without an adult so they called my dad who said he could be down in a couple of hours. In the meantime, a group of guys took me to the range and gave me lessons and we sighted in the rifle burning through some ammo. That group of guys turned out to be Special Forces riflemen.
Off topic.

My dad was stationed there 1958 to 1961. 2 of my sisters were born in the Elmendorf AFB hospital. I started elementary school there.

Alaska is an unforgettable place

Hunter922

Have an old 30/30.. And an old 32 Winchester.. BUT my oldest piece of hunting gear is a camouflage bow rope that I have had since I was in my 20'S.. I have put this thing in prolly 15 different backpacks over the last 25 Years. Refuse to leave it on a tree ( HUNTER JR- has once or twice).
Very good piece of static rope that I am way to attached to. Can't even begin to count the number of deer I've killed after pulling my bow up with this thing.

bany

1917 WIN 30.06
Dad sporterized it maybe with his Dad back in the 1900’s

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Mine would be my J. Stevens Arms and Tool 20 gauge model 345 I got from my grandfather. They were made between 1916 and 1928, I think I ran the serial # at one point and found a manufacture date of 1918 if I remember right. It had to be something handed down from my great grandfather. It was my go to gun for doves and sporting clays until the stock started splitting a couple of years ago and I retired it to prevent further damage. The action still seals up tight as a drum though. My grandfather wasn't a hunter so I don't know that it ever saw much use over the years.

Not hunting related, but I also have a complete paratrooper Japanese arisaka paratrooper take down rifle with a bayonet with the chrysanthemum intact that my other grandfather picked up in WW2.

Attachments

• PXL_20230713_022905579.jpg
    PXL_20230713_022905579.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 15

Big7

The Oracle
Mine would be my J. Stevens Arms and Tool 20 gauge model 345 I got from my grandfather. They were made between 1916 and 1928, I think I ran the serial # at one point and found a manufacture date of 1918 if I remember right. It had to be something handed down from my great grandfather. It was my go to gun for doves and sporting clays until the stock started splitting a couple of years ago and I retired it to prevent further damage. The action still seals up tight as a drum though. My grandfather wasn't a hunter so I don't know that it ever saw much use over the years.

Not hunting related, but I also have a complete paratrooper Japanese arisaka paratrooper take down rifle with a bayonet with the chrysanthemum intact that my other grandfather picked up in WW2.
PM me if you want that stock fixed. Permanently. :wink:

Sure is a beautiful shotgun.

krizia829

I'd love to see a photo of the Arisaka! That's neat!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My grandfathers Model 1890 .22 and my uncles Model 1897. There’s been a rail car load of ground hogs and squirrels killed with that .22. At least three generations so far, soon to be four.IMG_1444.jpeg

shdw633

I have my great uncles Winchester Model 12 12 gauge pump, built in 1921 and still shoots great and I usually walk away with bruised shoulders after bird hunting with it all day.

huntfish

Off topic.

My dad was stationed there 1958 to 1961. 2 of my sisters were born in the Elmendorf AFB hospital. I started elementary school there.

Alaska is an unforgettable place
Yes it is. Dad was stationed there from 74-77. I've been back many times, but it has definitely changed over the years.

Buckstop

Model 31 Remington 12 ga pump and a Model 25 Savage .22 pump. Both came to me via my father in-law that passed in 1995. .22 Savage has a heavy octagonal barrel and a peep sight and the shotgun has an adjustable choke (maybe aftermarket). He bought both straight from the factories in Ilion and Utica NY in 1946 as he lived near Utica. He had just been discharged from being a Navy pilot during WWII. They were some of the first sporting arms produced for the public after the war. Have a photo with him and the shotgun and some pheasants somewhere. I duck and dove hunted with it a dozen or so times right after I got it then put it up for my daughter to inherit down the line.

Attachments

• Mod 31.jpg
    Mod 31.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 9
  • Mod 25.jpg
    Mod 25.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

NateP

I've got my great-great-grandfathers 12 gauge SxS. Best I can date it is 1920. If that's true it cost him around $40. Pretty dang good investment to still shoot just fine a century later.

Stroker

My daddy's Woolrich red/black checkered wool parka. Best I can date it is mid 50's.Also my daddy's uncle Wade's Winchester 1907 in .351SL. When it gets cold during January deer season I'll put on that parka and pull the 1907 outta the safe for some nostalgic OTG hunting.