Panic Buying...what would you do?

WGSNewnan

its too late to panic. if you dont have it by now you might as well save your money. especially with the baby on the way.

What have you been waiting for? Were you not aware of what was going on. If you were aware and didnt prepare, then maybe there was good reason and you should hold tight. Making decisions while panicked is usually not very good. Take a minute, get your head straight, and then decide.

My advice. Do yourself a favor and buy more diapers, baby food, and hurricane gel. Oh - dont forget the tylenol and gas drops. A few extra cases of baby wipes wouldnt be bad either. They can be used to clean your guns also. Panic is just one of the many new experiences you are about to experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ErikD

I shoot the steel stuff if im shooting it that day but i dont store it. The 15/22 is a sweet little gun for sure also. Have you considered trying a .22 conversion for your AR setup. They run about 100-200 bucks. My personal opinion is they will go after "assault weapons" high cap mags, and ammo. I would also look at a 10/22 setup. I have one with the BSA sweet .22 and honestly its one of my favorite target guns.

ross the deer slayer

I already panicked and bought..like..a ton of ammo. A reloader is probably next. Can't never have to much ammo, and never too many guns. Just stay away from Tula ammo. Wurst ammo money can buy. Its accurate but so is pmc its brass cased and about 100$ more per 1000rds. Maybe wait on the 22 and get your kid one that they pick out

GroundMan

I would skip buying ammo, and spend the money on a reloader. You have enough money to get yourself totally set up, and will never have to worry about it again.

I agree totally, and have done this myself.

Steel Ammo - Everyone has an opinion... I LOVE it in my SKS, my AR doesn't like it, yet. It is accurate, but had some issues cycling, but was not a problem, just hand cycled.

Remember when you couldn't even get primers?

Guns are useless without ammo... I would take care of what I have, get ammo or components to load your own.

GA Arms is great. They are in Villa Rica. Not only to have they have good prices, but they do sell reloading stuff, like PRIMERS and POWDER. So, you do NOT get charged that HEAVY fee when buying online.

grouper sandwich

I got caught with my pants down in 2008. I honestly didn't see it coming. So, I spent the past 4 years slowly buying primers, powder and brass a little at a time. With as little as I shoot I'm probably set for life on everything but bullets.

That said, I haven't seen the same level of panic this time around. Plenty of ammo on shelves around here and the online stores seem to have good supplies of primers and powder. And if it does get bad, it'll straighten itself out by next year sometime. We may have a president that would like to see guns and ammo severely restricted, but he has a hostile house to deal with and a Senate majority leader who flat refuses to allow gun control to reach the floor out of fear of his constituency kicking him to the curb. I suspect we'll see status quo for the next 4 years.

Nimrod71

There doesn't seem to be panic in the guns and ammo picture but look at the stock market. The stock market was at 13,400 or so a few weeks ago yesterday it went to 12,700. Investors don't care for our president and are panicing and selling off and backing out of the markets. If congress doesn't do something quick before the end of the year the new taxes make change our whole picture. It may be Oct. of 28 all over again.

WGSNewnan

There doesn't seem to be panic in the guns and ammo picture but look at the stock market. The stock market was at 13,400 or so a few weeks ago yesterday it went to 12,700. Investors don't care for our president and are panicing and selling off and backing out of the markets. If congress doesn't do something quick before the end of the year the new taxes make change our whole picture. It may be Oct. of 28 all over again.

"Plunge Protection Team" or PPT.

Swampfoxoutdoors

I can not tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I have done.

I have been buying 1-2 500 rd bricks of 22lr ammo every time i go to my local outdoors stores. Along with pistol and rifle projectiles .

I have been into reloading for the past 7 years so I have been stocking up " a little at a time" on primers powder and brass.

I have been buying deals when deals present them selves. Do not wig out and go buy 5000 rds of 223 or 500 bucks worth of magazines for glocks and ars unless they are true deals.

Just take it slow make good sound decisions and watch your funds.

The main thing is "Prioritize" you future purchases.

If your like me and most gun owners, you will have a wish list. Now go down that wish list and check off the firearms that could be on the assault weapons ban, such as anything with a collapsible stock, Bayonet Lug, Hi capacity mags which I call Normal capacity. Once you have selected the ones with the highest likely hood of possibly being ban, purchase those weapons and or accessories in order as you get funds.

Like my list has a few more glocks and CZ hand guns with multiple Hi cap magazines for each and a few Hi cap scatter guns, those are on top of my list now. All the single action and lever action guns that I want are on my secondary wish list which would still be available and priced reasonable if their was another assault weapons ban.

You have to remember that the assault weapons ban did not make stuff illegal it just could not be produced for 10 years. SO the items that will be ban will still be out their but at just a much higher price. SO if your really low on funds and can not afford to buy guns already set up and ready to go like ARs AKs and Glocks etc just buy the possibly banded components such as normal Hi cap magazines, folding or collapsible stocks, possibly a complete upper for your ars with a bayonet lug if its that important for you to have a fixed bayonet.

This is just my simple mined approach, take it for what its worth. And remember the best thing to do is just email your state reps and let them know where you stand on the topic of gun control and join the NRA.

tv_racin_fan

I went by the gun shop the other day. They have a pawn shop in the back and the owner checked me out. He asked, "how ya doing today sir?". I said, "could be better, President Obama got re elected". He giggled and said "his wife had called and asked if he was busy, he answered "I am so busy you would think President Obama got re elected ". As I was walkin out the door I mentioned that the funny part was the Obama bumper stickers on cars in his lot.

Swampfox sir, the trouble is no one has a clue what firearms will be on the next assault weapon ban list. As I recall the last assault weapon ban bill had every semi auto firearm on it, it never got out of committee.

ASH556

Thanks again for the input guys and by all means, continue the discussion.

In case anyone is curious, here is what I spent my money on:

500 rnds brass-cased .223
500 rnd brass-cased 9mm
Used Aimpoint Comp M2
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for my '06 (Cabelas closeout for $279 shipped)
Tech Sights for my Marlin 60.

Still to purchase - a couple bricks of .22lr. Already have about 250rds on-hand.

I needed the ammo anyway and now I have some.

The Tech Sights allow me to shoot a rifle I already have, in .22, with the same sight picture as my AR's.

The glass on the '06 should be very nice and will allow that rifle to pull long range defensive duty if necessary.

Showman

Like others have said on here, I do not think anything, weapon wise, will happen. I think it will deal with Ammo. If I was going to be stocking up on anything, it would be what the military uses (5.56/.223) ammo. After all, if it hits the fan and you need to scavenge for ammo, what is going to be laying around after a battle? Also, I would think that if anything was to happen here, the Military would be passing it out (weapons and ammo) to the Citizens since I think Obama has alienated the Military. Cooler heads will prevail I hope though.

Swampfoxoutdoors

Now please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last bill just assault weapon related items such as bayonet lug, folding stock, flash suppressor, and anything greater than 10 rd mags. I didn't think any actual american made weapons was ordered to stop production, they just had to alter/ modify them a little to fit out of the parameters of what a assault weapons was being classified as. And if the company could not do so they just had to go under. It wasn't a court order to stop production they just could not adapt to the changes.

And its funny if you look in a older dictionary under assault rifle it will say something along the lines of full auto or select fire battle rifle. Now compare that to the new liberal term of a assault rifle which is any rifle that is semi automatic.

(semi automatic)= the correct gun term is "self loading". so please when talking to the anti gun crowd do not feed their fire with their evil terms. call them what they are.

Hi capacity magazine= Normal magazine or just magazine don't feed the Hi cap bull mess that was started by the liberal media.

and I wish people wouldn't throw the word tactical on everything nowadays. They are sporting rifles or sporting shotguns, not tactical.

I know this all sounds dumb but the little things that you say and change when talking to someone who is on the fence about gun owner ship may have them lean in your favor. It cant hurt.

Swampfoxoutdoors

and josh it seemed that you made some good purchases. the aim point to me seams a little excessive but hey we all have to live a little!

I think it would be wise for you to start looking into reloading now, seeing that you bought brass cased ammo, good choice.

tv_racin_fan

Now please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last bill just assault weapon related items such as bayonet lug, folding stock, flash suppressor, and anything greater than 10 rd mags. I didn't think any actual american made weapons was ordered to stop production, they just had to alter/ modify them a little to fit out of the parameters of what a assault weapons was being classified as. And if the company could not do so they just had to go under. It wasn't a court order to stop production they just could not adapt to the changes.

Yes sir, you are wrong on that. The bill that was passed into law and became the Assault Weapon Ban was indeed like you say. I was refering to the last bill that was introduced into congress. Blair Holt or some such name.

And its funny if you look in a older dictionary under assault rifle it will say something along the lines of full auto or select fire battle rifle. Now compare that to the new liberal term of a assault rifle which is any rifle that is semi automatic.

(semi automatic)= the correct gun term is "self loading". so please when talking to the anti gun crowd do not feed their fire with their evil terms. call them what they are.

Hi capacity magazine= Normal magazine or just magazine don't feed the Hi cap bull mess that was started by the liberal media.

and I wish people wouldn't throw the word tactical on everything nowadays. They are sporting rifles or sporting shotguns, not tactical.

I know this all sounds dumb but the little things that you say and change when talking to someone who is on the fence about gun owner ship may have them lean in your favor. It cant hurt.

I understand what you are saying about some of those terms but I don't entirely agree with you. Personally any weapon I own can be called a tactical weapon if I am using it with some sort of military tactic in mind. They become sporting weapons if I am using them in a sporting fashion or just hunting weapons when I am out hunting...seems to me the best tactic is to be straightforward and honest. Something liberal gun banners can't.

I try to explain to people that my flintlock is not much different than the assault weapon of choice of it's time, except my flintlock is rifled and the military weapon was a smoothbore.

Win1917

seems to me the best tactic is to be straightforward and honest. Something liberal gun banners can't.

I hear what you're saying and it's a good point. On the other hand, the issue as I see it is that this is an issue of perception and perception is reality when it comes to the general public.

For a little while I worked in sales and I've also done a lot of teaching. Believe me, I've seen it a million times, what you say is not what people hear. If you say "semi-automatic", all the uninformed person heard was "automatic". In their mind, automatic = machine gun therefore you own machine guns...so while you're trying to explain the technical differences all they're thinking is OMG I'm talking to a lunatic :D. "The truth" so to speak has nothing to do with their perception of the issue.

The libs have been successful in the public's eye of labeling any self-loader as an "assault weapon". We know the true differences and understand that we aren't using actual automatic or select fire arms but it doesn't matter. They won that battle. The worst thing we can do is to continually play into their hands by calling things assault weapons when they aren't.

tv_racin_fan

Win sir I will concede the point.

I wonder if these "liberals" really understand what they have done.

Think about this for a minute sir.

"Marriage" has been defined as the union between one man and one woman for centuries. They managed to change that definition in just a few short years.

"Assault rifle" has been defined as a select fire weapon for some 50 years, they managed to change that in a few short years.

That being the case I contend that this is a duck.

duck.jpg

This is a man having sex.

manhavingsex.jpg

Now you might think I am crazy and today I may well be BUT can you honestly say that in ten years I can not have the definitions changed so that indeed I am correct?

Showman

The "Real" reason a lot of people want to control guns has nothing to do with it being Semi or Full Auto. I has to do with a "Power Trip", with thoughts of controlling something or someone else. How many times have we heard that "Guns Kill People" and how many times has it been proven that it isn't the gun that pulls it's on trigger but the person holding the gun. We are in an unfortunate position as a Nation where the balance (if there ever was truly one) between Gun Rights Activist and Anti Gun What-evers is tilting the wrong way. The latter don't care what kind of gun anyone owns just as long as it will not shoot, don't care what kind of Government we have just as long as it benefits them over anyone else, don't care what anyone's Religious belief is as long as it is the same as their's, and expects to be taken care of so all they have to do is sit back and gripe about everything and everyone else that they think are getting better than they are. All because we have a flawed and corrupt educational system (and getting worse) that teaches one-upmanship, what to think rather than how to think for themselves, or, just be Sheep. So far the Supreme Court is keeping us as legal weapons owners and users. Common sense keeps (most of) us safe when we use them. Politicians just don't want the public to be better armed than the Military/LEO is which in turn makes them less concerned about the American People taking back the Government. Don't think this is true? Just look what has happened in the last couple of months. Massive amounts of money being handed out in the Northeast swayed voters, Immigration not being enforced influenced voters, BP being fined $4 Billion for the oil spill (not so much the fine but when it was imposed, think about the timing of it and what it could mean for possible the future of on/offshore drilling expansion and the US becoming energy independent).

Yep, way off the OP but I just had to chime in.

Win1917

I wonder if these "liberals" really understand what they have done.

That's a good question. I'd say at the top yes. The masses, for the most part no.

I'm in my late 30's but I'm in school getting an engineering degree. Anyway, my calc 3 class this semester got moved into some basket-weaving studies building. Sometimes from my seat I can hear the class next door and it's bizarro world in there. It sounds like Karl Marx holding session. It's nothing short of communist indoctrination for all those impressionable 18 year olds. I have no doubt the teacher knows exactly was he's doing while the kids think they're being told the truth.

BTW, I don't think you're crazy. Orwell himself would be rolling in his grave if he saw they way words are being spun every which way for political gain.

I'm not in favor of changing what words mean. Just not using words people don't understand and will turn them off to us before we have a chance to talk to them. I think for the most part, people who are against guns, hunting, etc are against the skewed caricature of us portrayed by the media. If we have a chance to talk them for a few minutes they'd realized we're just honest, law abiding, hard-working citizens like everybody else and there's nothing to be afraid of.

tv_racin_fan

Aint no biggie I suppose.

I'll just take my circa 1800 assault rifle and go shoot. They can tax the primers and tax the powder and the projectiles but they can not take the knowledge to make my own away from me. I am pretty sure I can find a rock around here that will make a spark.