What would you buy with $2,000?

mizuno24jad

Considering buying a new hunting rifle and new scope, rifle is used mostly for deer and realistically will shoot 200 yards at the most. I’m leaning towards .308 caliber because I’ve never had one yet. With $2,000 what rifle and scope combo would you get?

Reactions: Dub

transfixer

Lot of variables , having owned a variety of different rifles and calibers over the years , there is one I've always wanted but never really tried to hunt one down, a Remington 700 mountain rifle from the 90's, in either .308 or 7mm08,

But I've always been a 700 fan, my Dad was a fan of Browning bolt actions, but I never cared for them, and most 700's from the 80's and 90's would shoot sub moa with good ammo

The scope ? upper tier Leupold, or comparable, Burris makes some nice upper tier scopes, and there are a couple others I'd probably give consideration to also

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Either build a Howa 1500 pretty close to how I'd like it (bonus is that I love a good project) & spend the rest on an optic, or a Model 70 extreme weather SS & spend the rest on an optic. (I like 3-position safeties)
For optics, I'd really have to look around for what fits the bill and what I can find a deal on, but I'd start with non-budget Leupolds, Vortex, and Burris.

For 200 yards range, I'm looking at medium-bores, but deer ain't hard to kill, and everyone has their own reasons for picking a cartridge.

FlipKing

For a nicer rifle, I'd go benelli lupo or a browning hells canyon and a vx5 leupold if you can swing it.

Personally I run a Waypoint but that's gonna eat your whole budget.

transfixer

Down payment on a Shiloh Sharps, in 45 70.

Or a Chiappa Sharps in 22 Magnum.

Coin toss between the two. Leaning towards the 22 Mag.

If he had not said scope I was going to say a Shiloh Sharps,,, that is the one rifle if I had disposable money to spend that I would buy, I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on one of those though!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If he had not said scope I was going to say a Shiloh Sharps,,, that is the one rifle if I had disposable money to spend that I would buy, I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on one of those though!

Me neither!

Dub

Alrighty then......you, sir, are now hooked up with a ROCK SOLID rifle for the hunting you described and it will excel in the early & late light, too.

In stock. (y)

Brand new Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10 x 56mm beautiful glass with illuminated German #4 Reticle. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

The rifle you wanted in .308 Win. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Very, very, very, very close to your budget.

GO...........

tempImage8uTyff.png

tempImageyCl5gc.png
tempImageatbRB4.png

Attachments

• tempImageXxMKLg.png
    tempImageXxMKLg.png
    112 KB · Views: 2

FlipKing

I’ll probably stick with a vx3, I’ve had a vx5 before and couldn’t tell a difference in it and the vx3 for the price
I just like the extra magnification in it honestly. I think the 5 has better glass than the 3 as well but not by much.