How do you determine what “grain”?

Kwaksmoka

With so many calibers and so many grains, how do you determine what grain bullet you need for your rifle? What’s the difference, pros and cons of the grain? I’ve shot a 308 and 270 most of my life (although not a ton) and I’ve always used 150 grain! Should I switch?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm guessing you're talking about factory ammo.
The first thing to understand that the grains listed on the box is the weight of the bullet, not the charge.
Then learn to understand the differences between lighter faster bullets and heavier slower ones...

Can't really go wrong with a medium weight bullet for the specific caliber. I like 150s in my 308 but I would go a little lighter with a 270.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It also depends on the range you intend to shoot, and the type of critter you're shooting at.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Several different factors go into my bullet weight choice. Intended target, barrel twist, availability of bullets, bullet design and distances I’ll be shooting.
Yes, barrel twist is another biggie.

bighonkinjeep

I usually choose based on which weight and style bullet my rifle ahoots most accurately.
Each rifle is an individual and most often it takes some experimentation with different styles and weights charges and brands to find what it groups best.

Bought a used 270 with 150gr ammo from a guy that shot around 4" with the ammo he sold.me with the rifle. Got lucky and the first box of 130gr Federal power shok I tried started shooting 1 ragged hole 5 shot groups. Not always that easy to find what one likes. Doubt he'd have sold it if he'd tried the Fed 130s. I know it aint for sale now LOL

bullgator

Kwaksmoka, I wouldn’t worry about the bullet weight that much at all. Unless it’s the difference in a very light varmint/target bullet vs a heavier big game bullet. Otherwise just make sure it’s constructed for the intended purpose and shoots well. Take your .308, you could use light varmint or target bullets of 110-125 grain for coyotes. For deer, 125-150 is popular. For elk or equivalent, 150+ grain bullets meant to hold together better like bonded or expanding solid copper.

Bobby Bigtime

If it ain't broke don't break it. Stick with what works for you the 150 grain is a solid choice in both calibers.in our 308 the 180 grain bullets shoot slightly better than the 150s but not a big difference. My daughter's 270 shoots 150grain slightly better than the 130s you just don't know until you try.

Dub

I'm guessing you're talking about factory ammo.
The first thing to understand that the grains listed on the box is the weight of the bullet, not the charge.
Then learn to understand the differences between lighter faster bullets and heavier slower ones...

Can't really go wrong with a medium weight bullet for the specific caliber. I like 150s in my 308 but I would go a little lighter with a 270.

I think back to a couple rifles that told me what they wanted....told me loud and clear.

One of then was a Model 7 in .308. Short pencil thin barrel.

I tried and tried to get 165gr BT and 165 GameKing loads worked up for it. Never did get the accuracy I wanted.

A buddy slid a box of Walmart specials, 150gr Remington CoreLokts over on the bench and urged me to try them.

That little lightweight Model 7 proceeded to shoot sub-MOA groupings with those 150gr CoreLokts. Cold bore or otherwise.
Amazed me. Never again did I try to force anything else on that gun.

Another was my B-I-L's synthetic stocked Savage 300 Win.
He was griping about it...not shooting the Fed blue box 150's worth a durn. We tried a box of 165gr & 180gr. I forget which it liked but there was a definite preference evident in the tighter groups (I believe it was the 180gr).
What I remember most was the gritty trigger (pre-Accutrigger) and the thumping my shoulder took that day. Looking back on it...I think he may have been playing a joke on me....getting his flimsy stocked 300 Win tuned up for him. :rofl:

menhadenman

Your lighter bullets will have more speed, flatter trajectory. But lower BC meaning they’ll have more trouble in the wind and retaining energy down range. Typically not an issue inside 200 yards for deer.

Your heavier bullets will be slower but will handle wind better and thump better. But heavier bullets can require a faster twist to stabilize the projectile. It’s the reason almost everyone here has a 243 WIN and most never heard of the 244 Rem. And why the 6 mm Creedmoor is getting popular with the 105 gr bullets.

For the 308, you’re probably good to go with all the factory offerings. 150, 168, 175… I’d shoot all three and see which one does the best and go from there. They’ll all kill elk and moose, Georgia deer will be an easy out.

Good luck!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
With so many calibers and so many grains, how do you determine what grain bullet you need for your rifle? What’s the difference, pros and cons of the grain? I’ve shot a 308 and 270 most of my life (although not a ton) and I’ve always used 150 grain! Should I switch?

Without knowing your ability as a shooter, it's hard to say.

I'm guessing that you shoot a few before deer season to check your gun, and then go hunting. Kill a deer or two, and all's well till next year.

If that's the case, and it works for you, then there is zero need in worrying about what your bullet weighs.

Now if you are trying to take up chasing one-hole accuracy, and are going to shoot a lot of rounds, then it MIGHT matter.

But you'll have to get to the point that YOU are shooting better than your current rifle/round combo is capable of.

That takes a lot of rounds downrange.

If you just randomly swap from 150s to 165s, something will change. It may be better, or worse.

But if YOUR shooting isn't "one hole" capable, changing bullets ain't gonna give it to you.

Kwaksmoka

Thanks for all the replies and info, in typical fashion I left some details out but you guys filled in the blanks anyhow! I’m shooting a couple times before the season then a deer or 2 a year. Typical range 50-200 yards. I’m not out there trying to shoot long distance or super tight groups although I do want to become a better shot! This has been a good teaching thread for me personally. TY

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Basically there are 3 weight classes of bullets for caliber. Light, Standard (mid) and heavy. Those categories vary somewhat when case size/capacity is taken into consideration as well as game size.
When using conventional bullets that are a lead core surrounded by a copper jacket, most standard bullets are in the middle selection.
For .30 cal 150gr and 165gr would be considered standard in .308Win and 30'06 sized cases.
.270, standard would be 130gr and 140gr
7mm, 140gr-150gr would be standard.
Choosing bullets in those weights for deer is a good start. Let the gun tell you what it likes. Heavier and lighter bullets have certainly worked well for many people also so it really is a personal preference as to what you and your gun like.

HughW2

150 grain in .308 and .270 is very popular bullet weight. If your rifles perform well with it keep using that weight. If not try 130 in .270 or maybe try 165 or even 180 in .308.

Every rifle has its own idiosyncrasy in terms of load preference. I typically try five or six loads with any new rifle to see what it likes best. Only problem is in our current situation it can get expensive and time consuming. Let’s go Brandon

WishboneW

Thanks for all the replies and info, in typical fashion I left some details out but you guys filled in the blanks anyhow! I’m shooting a couple times before the season then a deer or 2 a year. Typical range 50-200 yards. I’m not out there trying to shoot long distance or super tight groups although I do want to become a better shot! This has been a good teaching thread for me personally. TY
Factory ammunition then. I recommend Hornady white tail with the interlock bullet in either 150 or 165 grain.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
In .308 I shoot 150s in typical Remington, Federal, or Norma lead bullets. If you start shooting copper bullets you need to down size to get the bullet moving faster. 110 or 130 for a .308. Your rifle will tell you what it likes.