How do you determine what “grain”?

furtaker

All though it is one of their flagship bullets I see no real need to use a hard Partition bullet for 50-200 yards on a Whitetail. It is also not their most accurate bullet.

https://chuckhawks.com/nosler_hunting_bullets.htm
I've only killed one deer with a Partition but I've always read that the front half of the bullet is actually fairly soft. The rear half behind the Partition is what punches through and penetrates.

rosewood

Basic remington, win, and federal cup and core are more than sufficient for whitetails inside 200 and won't break the bank. Those premium bullets are really not necessary.

Last edited:

Bobby Bigtime

I grew up in the days where there weren't a bunch of "shooters" but plenty of "hunters" the general rule of thumb and preseason practice was to put a coffee can out at a stepped off 100 paces or so. Sometimes the distance was an outhouse guess. If you could hit it two or three times in a row you were good to go. Brand didn't really matter as there were only about two or three, the same with bullet weights. Most folks shot game at reasonable distances and were successful so it really didn't matter that much. In the grand scheme of things for the typical American deer hunter it still doesn't

Liberty

The only time I would vary from the standard bullets are fine for deer is if a light for game caliber is being used.

krizia829

I'm a big fan of 150gr. It's like the all around hunt anything type of grain. I shoot .30-06 and started out with Remington Reduced Recoil 115Gr when I first got the rifle for my 15th birthday. Never found it again on the shelves.

Then I switched to Hornady 165Gr and it shot fine but it sure wasn't fun to shoot for me after being used to 115gr.

I tried one day the 150gr SST's after someone recommended it and loved the grouping it gives in my rifle AND the power behind it. I handle the recoil just fine now that I'm older. As long as they keep making it, I buy a box every time I make a Bass Pro visit.

Big7

The Oracle
All though it is one of their flagship bullets I see no real need to use a hard Partition bullet for 50-200 yards on a Whitetail. It is also not their most accurate bullet.

https://chuckhawks.com/nosler_hunting_bullets.htm
Yeah, but ole' Chuck is wrong about why Partitions are not quite as accurate.

They are plenty accurate for hunting and if I could only pick one, the Nosler Partion would be it. The best hunting projectile ever devised, IMO.

Big7

The Oracle
I didn't say they didn't have a place...for hunting moose and other thick things that need penetration and less accuracy they are fine...for deer not so much. Pretty much anything will kill a deer inside of 200 yards
True but I'm just saying if I had to pick one for everything from field mouse to elephant and couldn't have anything else.

I probably have more boolits than I have dollars. :LOL:

Jester896

Senior Clown
but you do and that is the point...why use something not so suited when more suited is available.

i probably have over 10K .22 cal projectiles... so I get that too.

killerv

Whatever works well for you, you want more speed, less recoil, need something a little flatter, go with a lighter grain offered and hope the gun likes it and vice/versa.

I shoot 165 in my 308, 130 in my 270, use them for two different purposes.

Last edited:

trial&error

If your not reloading there's not much you can do other than try them out. Heavier bullets are longer and slower so they have to be spun faster to keep them on target. Lighter bullets are shorter and faster and need less spin to achieve accuracy. Check your twist rate and try them.

rosewood