How do you determine what “grain”?

rosewood

"From field mouse to elephant. "

That covers a lot of acreage.
That is the versatility of of the old Gov't 45-70. A hoot to shoot also.

Rosewood

Dub

True but I'm just saying if I had to pick one for everything from field mouse to elephant and couldn't have anything else.

I probably have more boolits than I have dollars. :LOL:

Bullets.....boolits.....or both ? :huh:

Boolits:

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0644.jpeg

Bullets:

IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think there are a few, but not enough numbers to have a hunting season yet.

Rosewood

According to the archeological records there have never been elk in Georgia. The few that have wandered in came from North Carolina or Tennessee. In the last few years.

rosewood

According to the archeological records there have never been elk in Georgia. The few that have wandered in came from North Carolina or Tennessee. In the last few years.
Yes, that is the ones I am referring to.

rosewood

• Haha
Reactions: Dub

rosewood

killerv

I think there are a few, but not enough numbers to have a hunting season yet.

Rosewood
I was being facetious, dont understand a partition for a ga whitetail, they arent big enough for a partition to do what it is meant to do, they mostly punch holes. Much better options for our deer. However, i have read decent reports of them being used in 223 with some success.

rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
I was being facetious, dont understand a partition for a ga whitetail, they arent big enough for a partition to do what it is meant to do, they mostly punch holes. Much better options for our deer. However, i have read decent reports of them being used in 223 with some success.
One time at band camp

I used a 7mm RM Sendero for a short period of time and listened to the hype about Partitions. I had a box of Federal Premium 160s. I watched a big doe through a hole in some scrub one morning for way longer than I wanted to...like she knew I was there. There were about 6 deer milling around but the big one just stood in that one spot. She was about 75 yards out and I had a good zero and my heart had slowed a good bit with the wait. I sent the round to the spine right in front of the back straps because I was close to a creek and the property line. When it hit the spine it made a 90* left turn running all the way down the spine erupting the best part with all of the bone fragments and shock and the bullet exited the back of the ham on the opposing side with about a 1/2 dolla sized hole after it had traveled that far through bone. I'm guessing it was a 130-140# deer.

The next time I went I had a whacked up rack buck that was about 175#ish and about 220 yards out. I will admit that my shot POI wasn't what I wanted....a little farther back than I expected. The bullet went through with the famous pencil on both sides. There was very little lung matter in the bush that was behind it. I found him about 6 rows into the cotton on the next property... guessing 100-125 yards from where I hit him on the edge of the fire break. There was a broken rib on the entry side and the exit side.

maybe I will try the 60gr .224s in my .22-250 or .223

Dub

One time at band camp

I used a 7mm RM Sendero for a short period of time and listened to the hype about Partitions. I had a box of Federal Premium 160s. I watched a big doe through a hole in some scrub one morning for way longer than I wanted to...like she knew I was there. There were about 6 deer milling around but the big one just stood in that one spot. She was about 75 yards out and I had a good zero and my heart had slowed a good bit with the wait. I sent the round to the spine right in front of the back straps because I was close to a creek and the property line. When it hit the spine it made a 90* left turn running all the way down the spine erupting the best part with all of the bone fragments and shock and the bullet exited the back of the ham on the opposing side with about a 1/2 dolla sized hole after it had traveled that far through bone. I'm guessing it was a 130-140# deer.

The next time I went I had a whacked up rack buck that was about 175#ish and about 220 yards out. I will admit that my shot POI wasn't what I wanted....a little farther back than I expected. The bullet went through with the famous pencil on both sides. There was very little lung matter in the bush that was behind it. I found him about 6 rows into the cotton on the next property... guessing 100-125 yards from where I hit him on the edge of the fire break. There was a broken rib on the entry side and the exit side.

maybe I will try the 60gr .224s in my .22-250 or .223

I had good luck with the 130gr Partitions in .270 Win.

I ran out and went on to the 140gr BT after that.

Liberty

Our daughter's Christensen arms 270 really likes the Norma 130 grainers and they tipped over a couple of antelope with it over the weekend one at 279 and another at 416 yards. When I get to reloading for them I will try some various bullets in those weights.
Did y’all get 2 pass thru shots or was a bullet recovered? If there were pass thru wounds, how large were the exits? If they stayed inside, what did the bullets look like? My son found that his .308 shoots Norma factory well, but no shots on game has been taken yet.