How do you determine what “grain”?

Bobby Bigtime

Did y’all get 2 pass thru shots or was a bullet recovered? If there were pass thru wounds, how large were the exits? If they stayed inside, what did the bullets look like? My son found that his .308 shoots Norma factory well, but no shots on game has been taken yet.
The only one I saw was the one taken at 416 it took out the bottom of the spine mid back it didn't have much to pass through. The other I was told was a behind the shoulder double lung and it was a pass through.

Liberty

The only one I saw was the one taken at 416 it took out the bottom of the spine mid back it didn't have much to pass through. The other I was told was a behind the shoulder double lung and it was a pass through.
It’s a fine balance to have a bullet that opens at lower velocities and doesn’t explode close up. I was worried his little 20 inch barrel might be too slow to get good expansion at 200 yards. Norma ammo is loaded a little slow in 308 to begin with.

Bobby Bigtime

It’s a fine balance to have a bullet that opens at lower velocities and doesn’t explode close up. I was worried his little 20 inch barrel might be too slow to get good expansion at 200 yards. Norma ammo is loaded a little slow in 308 to begin with.
My 308 really likes the Winchester 180 grain so I stuck with that for a long time. I later discovered it shot well with the federal power shok 150 grain. Not a picky rifle at all but I like the fact that it digs the more economical ( if there is sort of a thing) and available rounds out there. My 308 is a 20" barrel also and I will say that Winchester power point 180 has accounted for whitetail, mule deer, antelope and a few varmints from 50 to 250 yards. I am very happy with the expansion I have got from the recovered bullets and the wound channels from those that have passed through. Our daughter used the 150 grains on a half dozen animals with good luck ( only because it kicked a bit less)

Liberty

My 308 really likes the Winchester 180 grain so I stuck with that for a long time. I later discovered it shot well with the federal power shok 150 grain. Not a picky rifle at all but I like the fact that it digs the more economical ( if there is sort of a thing) and available rounds out there. My 308 is a 20" barrel also and I will say that Winchester power point 180 has accounted for whitetail, mule deer, antelope and a few varmints from 50 to 250 yards. I am very happy with the expansion I have got from the recovered bullets and the wound channels from those that have passed through. Our daughter used the 150 grains on a half dozen animals with good luck ( only because it kicked a bit less)
Thank you so much for the reassurance, I’ve never been a short barrel guy for that class of caliber. I knew that it would be fine close-up, but I wasn’t sure at range.

Bobby Bigtime

Thank you so much for the reassurance, I’ve never been a short barrel guy for that class of caliber. I knew that it would be fine close-up, but I wasn’t sure at range.
One of my buddies has two custom 308 rifles one with a 20" another with a 22" barrel the 20 is heavy the 22 is still heavy but not as much. These are super accurate jobs. He took a nice black bear with the 20 a couple years ago at well over 300 yards. Use that rifle with confidence!

Jester896

Senior Clown
the same ammo I ran in my 26" .308 runs about 60 or 70fps slower at the muzzle in the 20". With that info and a little bit of proof I would be confident. I have run another fella's 20" with an Obermeyer barrel at 500 yards and was easily able to keep it in the 2 1/2" center of a sporting clay so accuracy shouldn't be an issue if it is accurate close up. All you would need to do is make sure your bullet would have enough energy to expand at the distance you are shooting if hunting.

Liberty

the same ammo I ran in my 26" .308 runs about 60 or 70fps slower at the muzzle in the 20". With that info and a little bit of proof I would be confident. I have run another fella's 20" with an Obermeyer barrel at 500 yards and was easily able to keep it in the 2 1/2" center of a sporting clay so accuracy shouldn't be an issue if it is accurate close up. All you would need to do is make sure your bullet would have enough energy to expand at the distance you are shooting if hunting.
I don’t know how slow is too slow for the Norma 308. The only reason he shoots it is because the rifle has been so ammo picky. I did bed the action for him to try to make it less temperamental and re-zeroed it. Maybe I can get out this week and try some Prohunters or soft Gamekings that don’t need as much speed as others.