Panic Buying...what would you do?

ASH556

So, I've tried to resist the panic buying mentality, but it's starting to get the best of me. I have a high-end scope that I'm wanting to move to free up some funds to do other things (was going to do this anyway), but now I'm questioning whether instead of another scope I should be buying 5.56 ammo or a .22 trainer.

I've had a S&W 15-22 before and while I thought it was a lot of fun to shoot, the lack of recoil didn't make it's training usefulness all that strong. Still, trigger time, even on a .22, is better than no trigger time at all.

The other thought is to buy a couple cases of steel cased .223. I've never shot the stuff before because of the issues it CAN cause. Now, my rifles are both Daniel Defense, and as such, they should run fine provided I keep the chambers clean.

The other thing I HAVE to buy, and the thing that was originally on my mind is a scope for my '06. I included the Leupold I used to have on it in a trade earlier this year and the rifle has no sights otherwise.

So, with a potential of $750 out of the scope and mount I'm selling, I'm looking at:

$180 (after $30 rebate) on a Redfield Revolution 3-9 Accurange for the '06.

That leaves me $570 for:

Ammo

or

A .22 trainer (M&P 15-22)

And

I can also pick up an old Aimpoint M2 from a buddy pretty cheap (I sold it to him a couple years ago for $250 and he'll sell it back to me for that).

The way I figure it, Obama isn't going to ban scopes, but he might ban high-cap magazines for a semi-auto .22 and ammo prices are likely to go up either due to panic buying, taxes, or both.

Finally, my wife and I have our first baby due in about a month, so simply saving and/or taking money out of our budget for gun stuff isn't happening. I've only got whatever I can get out of this scope to play with.

What would you do?

rjcruiser

Not sure. Not sure guns are ever going to get outlawed. Hi cap mags...maybe. Assault weapons...maybe. Ammo I think is where it is going. Make the taxes so high on ammo it drives those guns out of popularity. Who knows.

Remember what happened the first time he was elected? $1400 DPMS :D Then it came back down. The only thing is, are you willing to chance it coming back down?

Forgot to add what I'd do. I try to keep gun money as gun money. So...selling one thing goes back to that type of thing. (harder to do with kids...I know).

I'd go with the MP-15-22 or another tube fed bolt action/lever action .22 as ammo is cheap and they cycle everything.

Remainder would go into ammo. .22 is cheaper, but also I'd make sure you have plenty of 30.06 ammo as well. that was hard to find as well in '08.

ASH556

Not sure. Not sure guns are ever going to get outlawed. Hi cap mags...maybe. Assault weapons...maybe. Ammo I think is where it is going. Make the taxes so high on ammo it drives those guns out of popularity. Who knows.

Remember what happened the first time he was elected? $1400 DPMS :D Then it came back down. The only thing is, are you willing to chance it coming back down?

See, that's what I'm worried about. The .22 trainer helps me on ammo because I can practice with .22 and just keep what little bit of 5.56 I have on-hand.

Buying steel cased .223 also hedges the ammo bet, but it's low-quality ammo.

I don't have the time or resources to worry about stockpiling mags just to re-sell them. I have enough guns and mags. My concern is being able to afford to continue to shoot.

ETA:

Good point on the '06 ammo. I didn't think about that.

Also, I have 4 other .22's, so I'm set for plinkers, but that's really what they are, mostly heirloom guns:

Marlin 60 (my first gun, and wears factory irons)
Remington 511 (great-grandpa's old magazine-fed bolt action, iron sights)
Winchester 270 (pump-action plinker that I keep filled with Colibri's for squirrels, iron sights)
Ruger 10/22T SS (Heavy barreled gun with nice Leupold glass. Good medicine for January squirrels and general accurate plinking fun)

The 15-22 would be setup like my AR's with a red dot and run hard and dirty.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Save your money and use the ammo you had stored up for the millenium (crash of 2000) crisis. ::ke:

I would buy the AR in 22rimfire. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. But I would not buy it because of some "pending world end." Buy canned goods / MRE's if you think that is going to happpen.

ASH556

Save your money and use the ammo you had stored up for the millenium (crash of 2000) crisis. ::ke:

I would buy the AR in 22rimfire. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. But I would not buy it because of some "pending world end." Buy canned goods / MRE's if you think that is going to happpen.

No, not for a pending world end. I agree, that food/water/skillset is the best thing going for that. Just the ability to afford to keep shooting is what I'm going for.

paulito

Hard decision to make. I definately wouldn't make it based on any looming gun ban. I got four boxes of .40 cal for my pistol a week ago but it was only because it was on sale and truly a "good" deal. I tend to buy a bunch when i find a deal and then milk it until the next one comes along. If you are seeing ammo prices jump right now after the election (i haven't even looked) why burn up your budget on over priced ammo.

As far as the .22 if you see yourself using it for a trainer why not get it. I love my tactical 22. Keep in mind most of your professional shooters when asked what they shoot the most of will say .22cal. Some burn up cases upon cases of rimfire shells. they'll tell you it is all about muscle and eye memory practice that you get the most benefit from, not getting used to the "kick"

Long story short, when in doubt buy another gun i always say.

throwdown

I would skip buying ammo, and spend the money on a reloader. You have enough money to get yourself totally set up, and will never have to worry about it again.

ASH556

Deals are still available, but stock appears to be drying up. I just bought 500 rnds brass-cased .223 for .31/rd and 500 rds brass-cased 9mm for .20/rd.

I have 4 .22's already in the safe and I'm going to just buy some tech sights for my Marlin 60 and practice with that for cheap shooting.

I am also buying the Redfield scope for my '06 and the Aimpoint back from my buddy.

I feel pretty good about it.

Thanks for the input.

Darien1

I have recently bought a Bushmaster AR and another 500 rounds of brass case Ga. Arms rounds for it. 7 hi cap mags. I also bought the S&W AR22 with 5 mags. Currently I'm stocking up on quality CCI Mini Mags. I bought 3000 rounds yesterday in 1500 round ammo cans and I'm kicking my self for not buying 6000. I do not see good things on the horizon. I am stocking up on the things that I think might be banned. Lot's of ammo and hi cap mags.

tree cutter 08

people aint going crazy buying stuff up again are they? i havent been to any stores for a while. i did buy some ar15 mags online a couple of weeks ago just to have. remember about reloading, you will need primers powder and bullets, so stock up. primers will be the first thing they would ban if they wanted to stop reloaders, so stock up

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
570 for ammo and mylar wrapped dried food!

but if you get a 22 you can stock up on lots of ammo!!!

Hawire

Why don't you just buy the .22 conversion bolt and magazine? They run about $180. That will save u some money and get u some trigger time on your primary weapon.

Win1917

Panic buying....what would I do?

Don't panic!!

As a relatively new father myself (2 kids, 3 yrs and 8 mo), I'd say that in a couple of months you'll be so busy that the last thing you'll be worried about is how much "training time" your getting in :D.

Kids are expensive. Get a good 22, shoot everything iron sights, sell off any unneeded/unused guns, and keep the cash for a rainy day. Realistically, 6 months of income in the bank in case somebody loses a job or other emergency is more useful for a family than a stockpile of whatever collecting dust.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I admit reacting four years ago. Sold much of the mixed bag I owned except for heirlooms to fund going NATO. Also sold any toys that weren't getting much use. This kept my efforts out of the family budget. :type:

Already owned a semiautomatic .22, a fella does need plenty to feed it. ;)

Setup a reloading bench as well, bought as much used gear as I could. I'm now happy with my efforts. I feel as prepared as I can be carrying and hunting with two calibers. I can now also replenish my supplies.

With a baby on the way your a little late, focus on family, by the way congrats!

chase870

Possum Sox
Never run out of ammo. If you have it and need it your ok if you need it and dont have any you will have a problem