Pellet Rifle

bighonkinjeep

Get yourself a Benjamin 392 and be done with it. The quality is where it matters, in the seals and solid brass barrel.
Pre charged pneumatics shoot well too but $$$ and $$$$..
Todays cheapo pump rifles have poorly fitted stamped sheetmetal tubes with plastic bushings that support a barrel akin to a metal drinking straw. If you can find one from earlier than about 1985 with a solid steel unsleeved barrel theyre okay and will do the job.

Forget the break barrels. They generate reverse recoil which makes for quite a learning curve when learning to shoot them accurately. Reverse recoil is also very gard on scopes and mounts unless specifically built for it.

Throw box labeled velocity figures out the window as well theyre just marketing gimmicks primarily based on super light alloy pellets and an anomoly known as dieseling. (When lubricant ignites under compression and explodes) this creates crazy and wildly varying pressure spikes and wildly varying levels of noise as well.
Best advice, just get the Benjamin 392 powerful accurate and dependable.
Good luck

Hillbilly stalker

Get yourself a Benjamin 392 and be done with it. The quality is where it matters, in the seals and solid brass barrel.
Pre charged pneumatics shoot well too but $$$ and $$$$..
Todays cheapo pump rifles have poorly fitted stamped sheetmetal tubes with plastic bushings that support a barrel akin to a metal drinking straw. If you can find one from earlier than about 1985 with a solid steel unsleeved barrel theyre okay and will do the job.

Forget the break barrels. They generate reverse recoil which makes for quite a learning curve when learning to shoot them accurately. Reverse recoil is also very gard on scopes and mounts unless specifically built for it.

Throw box labeled velocity figures out the window as well theyre just marketing gimmicks primarily based on super light alloy pellets and an anomoly known as dieseling. (When lubricant ignites under compression and explodes) this creates crazy and wildly varying pressure spikes and wildly varying levels of noise as well.
Best advice, just get the Benjamin 392 powerful accurate and dependable.
Good luck
The 392 had been discontinued.:(

sbroadwell

My 5mm Sheridan Blue Streak from 1963 has claimed a few over the years. It worked fine all those years til about a year ago, started not holding pressure. I sent it to an outfit called Mac1 Airguns in California and had the steroid treatment. Stronger seal, now I can pump it 16 times instead of 8.
That’s a lot over work but supposed to be pushing 1,100 fps. I need to find someone with a chronograph and see for sure.

sleepr71

I’ve always felt Benjamin air rifles were worth the extra money. Do they make a .22 cal now,in the place of that 392? I like having the option of varying how many pumps I give it. Most times..5 pumps was plenty in my .177.

rosewood

These are all from the 1980s .177, .20 and .22 cals. No squirrel has felt their wrath and lived to tell about it.
That 2200 Magnum is a beast..
View attachment 1303203
2nd from right, looks like a 760 Pumpmaster. That to me was one of the best rifles for the buck. I think mine is at my brother's house, but not sure. Probably bought it around 1986 or so.

Rosewood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
2nd from right, looks like a 760 Pumpmaster. That to me was one of the best rifles for the buck. I think mine is at my brother's house, but not sure. Probably bought it around 1986 or so.

Rosewood
You are correct. That particular one has the brass/metal bolt. As Crossman kept making them, they used cheaper and even more cheap plastic parts to the point that they were not worth buying anymore. Into 1990s they were still decent.

JR924

Sorry for long post but I am an avid airgun nut. If short range, hard to beat a scoped Walmart Daisy 880 for short range (under 20 yards and head shots.) if going the cheap rate. They are rifled while the new Crossman 760 is smooth bore so more accurate with pellet. They get high ratings from users. Go to this forum for information and questions. They are very knowledgeble and helpful. https://www.airgunnation.com/ Also have classifieds like this website. https://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php Beware of scammers. Airguns of Arizona, Krale (overseas), Airgun Depot and Pyramid Air are highly recommended for new guns and have used guns. This guy sells used guns and a lot of pumpers. https://www.bakerairguns.com/. He is slightly pricy but you know the gun advertised will shoot the way he states. He is legit and I buy and get my guns repaired by him.

Better are the vintage Sheridans Blue or Silver Streek, Daisy 880, Benjamin 312, 342 and 347. Crossman 2240 or SW 79A if you can find them but they are $$$. Daisy 880 normally outshoots the Crossman 760. Note that you might have to reseal yourself or with vendor (costs $140 at Baker Airguns. he also sells reseal kits) no matter what the seller says. Go to Ebay for most selection. The vintage Daisy 880s and Crossman 760s (not not recommend them for your application) are a good value in (steel side metal reciever and metal pump handle) compared to the other vintage pumpers. I recently shot the below group with my Vintage Daisy 880. It outshoots my vintage Crossman 760 with rifled barrel by a good margin and rivals my $500+ spingers.

If me, I would go 22 or 20 cal and get a used quality springer like a RWS 34, FWB or HW gun. However, if you are not consistent, patient or cannot practice a lot with your hold, get a pumper or PCP. Much easier to shoot accurately. PCPs are very cheap now and very accurate and easy to shoot consistently. See airgun nation website and get recommendations. I just not into PCPs. If you get a low pressure one, a hand pump (with moisture filter) is not that hard. Otherwise you need a tank and scuba shop nearby or a compressor.

If shooting a springer, need to use consistent artillery hold as a firearm hold usually hurts accuracy. Even a cheap walmart springer can be shot good. However for some, you have to deal with poor crown, paint in the barrel and other stuff. Clean barrel and tighten screws from the get go and do it often. For a state of the art pumper, this one is getting good reviews.

Note that a Chinese Xisco CO2 rifle or XS 25 is a good alternative (other models if he can get them plus he has a good PCP). Mike with Flying Dragons Airguns quality checks them and he will tune to your specification. Plenty of power and accuracy for squirrels. His website is under construction so just call him and he will steer you to the right product. Very honest guy.

Read the reviews of the guns you might want to know what you are getting. Tom Gaylord writes the best reviews.

Again, thanks for the question. I enjoy vomiting my opinions. Do your own research, shoot the gun a lot and return if not meeting expectations before return period is up. All have lemons with the cheaper guns having higher percentage. Note PCPs and pumpers eventually leak so good if you are handy as just usually o rings. Springer's seals and springs eventually fail but usually last much longer than the pumpers and PCPs. Always store pumpers with at least 2 pumps to keep dirt out of the seals.

Attachments

• Daisy vintage 880 20 yard 3 shot group.jpg
    Daisy vintage 880 20 yard 3 shot group.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Daisy 880 scope mt.jpg
    Daisy 880 scope mt.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

sbroadwell

I can’t say anything but good things about Tim at Mac1 Airguns. I had to send just the barrel and receiver to be worked up n, kept the stock. Well, UPS lost it shipping it back. We had them supposedly look for it but no luck.
Tim sent me another one free, already steroidized. It’s a couple years older than my original, and I had to do a little bit of stock in letting, but it works great

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Friend of mine recently bought a high dollar (to me) Diana air rifle. It’s a slick shooter

Buckhead

I have a .25 Beeman Kodiak break barrel. English manufacturer, rebranded Webley Patriot. Packs a punch, about as effective as a .22 short. If I were ever to shoot a skwerl, it would be very effective.
IMG_0528.jpeg

Lonegle57

Have used a Benjamin Prowler, 22 cal. Think I picked it up at Wally world. Mine likes Ruger's pellets best. Many corn stealers have stopped stealing.
Have eliminated a fox or two with it. Moved on to a Savage 22 with a can but sometimes bring out the pellets.

sleepr71

IF I can run across an old stock/NIB..or gently used Benjamin 392(.22)…what should I expect to pay for it? Fair price for the seller + myself.?

JR924

A 392 is not much of a vintage Benjamin as models 342 and 312 are. Lets say it is a wood stock one as the current ones are synthetic. A new 392 costs $220 on Amazon. Baker airguns had a nickle plated wood stock 392A with peep sight for $300. Assuming the gun does not need seals and is in excellent shape. I would pay say to $150 for a used current version (which I hate, heard hard to use iron sights) to say $300 for one like the Baker gun. Search Ebay and Gunbroker for 392 sales that have ended.

JR924

I would never pop a squirrel, out of season, that is tearing up my bird feeders.
But if a fella was going to be an accurate, not too expensive, pellet rifle.
If you buy a Chinese Airgun from Mike Melick at Flying Dragon Airguns, it will rival the expensive German HW and Diana models in performance and pretty close in looks and quality I cannot tell the difference between my $400 Diana 350 and my $180 Xisco B28 from Flying Dragons in both looks and performance. Below is the quality control that Mike does on his airguns. Virtually eliminates chances of you getting a lemon. I always pay for the full tune but you get a good one without it, just not as smooth and accurate. Note he does sell other airguns including German ones. Below is the quality control work he does with his CO2 guns. What he does with his PCP and springer guns is similar.

Flying Dragons Airguns: What makes these rifles so special?

The first thing I do is order the rifles from Xisicousa. I send a Postal money order and then wait for what seems like forever, just like you do when you order one from me.

When they arrive I take them out of the case and look them over for any damage. Then each rifle is disassembled, the barrel is cleaned with an Otis pull through cleaner. Now all the parts are cleaned and inspected.

First off I align the barrel port and the port in the receiver. Next the bolt is polished and the bolt probe extention is installed, then the inside of the receiver is polished and the parts checked for smooth operation. The slots in the receiver are smoothed and polished along with the slot for the bolt handle. The hammer and cocking block are then polished for smoother operation and the slots in the gas tube are deburred and polished.

The valve assembly is worked on next, the inlet is opened, the pierceing pin is pointed and the diameter of the head is reduced to the OD of the spring. The valve is reduced in diameter and polished and the ID of the brass cap is opened. The port of the valve is smoothed and opened slightly for better flow.

I now reassemble the rifle and check for correct operation, 2 powerlets are installed and the testing begins. First is the velocity testing with 10 shots with a 1 minute wait between shots and the results recorded. Then it's to the outdoor range and the accuracy is checked, if needed the barrel is crowned.

Last but not least, the trigger group is disassembled and the mating surfaces are polished, lubed and checked. The jam nuts on the adjusting screws are installed and the new trigger spring is installed. I then put everything back together again and test to see that it's working the way it should be.

I pack it up and put the reseal kit and valve tool in the box and then ship it to who ever has purchased it. That's what I do to the rifles on a normal basis, for special orders I may do somethings a little different depending on what the customer wants.

Last edited: