Petrified wood tools

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Did native Americans use petrified wood to make tools? I was looking at some land to buy today in heard county next to a known creek Indian village and found some petrified wood cut into about six inch pieces with identical angled smooth cuts on each end. Sorry about the punctuation but I am using my wife's iPad and I'm excited at the same time. I will try to post pictures. One piece has another scored place in the center where they started another cut in the middle of the piece. And yes I am going to buy the land.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve seen a couple of pieces that came out of the Flint, but none of it was of the high quality to knap. Some of the western petrified wood was used by the early people to make points.

fish hawk

Bass Master
More than likely it petrified afterwards.Under ideal chemical conditions, petrification is possible in a few hundred years or even less.The wood must be sealed from oxygen to prevent decay.Ive found a bunch of petrified wood in creeks below the fall line.Cool find,post the pics if you get a chance,i'd like to see it!!!

fish hawk

Bass Master
I`ve seen a couple of pieces that came out of the Flint, but none of it was of the high quality to knap. Some of the western petrified wood was used by the early people to make points.

It is fairly brittle.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
No, it is solid stone. It too has bark. It was found in a wash on high ground. One piece has quartz imbedded in it. I also found a sort of scraper with it. What puzzles me is how they cut it. It is a smooth cut with matching angles. This piece also is scored in the middle at precisely the same angle as the ends.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No, it is solid stone. It too has bark. It was found in a wash on high ground. One piece has quartz imbedded in it. I also found a sort of scraper with it. What puzzles me is how they cut it. It is a smooth cut with matching angles. This piece also is scored in the middle at precisely the same angle as the ends.

Show us some good pics of it, Dave. I`m curious about that.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pictures tomorrow

I am working on my wife's iPad. My computer is in a motel room in Texas. What excites me is that I grew up farming the bottom land behind this place with my uncle who raised me. He was creek and roamed this land his whole life. I shot my first squirrel on this ridge. Now I have a chance to buy this land and in five minutes I start finding artifacts. I just looked at my wife and said " I have to buy this land" and she said " I know" some of the finest collections in west Georgia came from this village.

jcinpc

Gone but not forgotten
I have a friend who owns 450 acres near Cuthbert and he has alot of pet wood found in a creek. I had some and it is good quality

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ok, i'll try it again.

Attachments

• petrified wood.jpg
    petrified wood.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 894
  • pw2.jpg
    pw2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 896
  • pw3.jpg
    pw3.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 904
  • pw4.jpg
    pw4.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 907

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
For pertified wood to be used to make tools and/or points, it must be more glassy in nature.

fishtail

I really can't tell from the pictures but most of the stuff resemble Morrow Stone.
Workable for various things, usually pottery. Not hard enough for good tools but great utility stuff.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have no clue what it is, but what I don't understand is how they cut it so precisely and what did they score it with. Also, what would it be used for?

Philhutch80

Banned
How do yo explain that perfect line scored in it?

It is a cleaving plane of the rock. It looks like some metamorphic rock honestly. it matches what I have seen all around the state above the fall line and east of the Ridge & Valley sections. The majority of the bedrock here in that area is metamorphic in nature. Can you show a picture on a map of where it was found so I can look at some geologic maps? It will help to rule some things out.

Latest posts