Post holes filled with corn

Josh B

I joined a new club in Taliaferro that has hogs. I read in GON a few years back about digging holes and filling them with corn. I did 2 holes last week and they already dug out all the corn. I went about 3' down. I refilled today and might try Tuesday evening.
Screenshot_20200719-222507.png

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I bought 34 acres in Taliaferro 15 years ago. In the first year I lived there, I killed 52 hogs. Then started trapping them. Plenty up and down the Little River corridor.

sghoghunter

IMO Using this method will keep bigger hogs around and keep them occupied but you have to keep the corn in the hole because they will get it all out. If you can keep a check on it every 3 to 4 days it’s a perfect way to kill some

Josh B

I was amazed some deer been coming around too. I guess I'll just keep going deeper? They already blew the holes out.

ghadarits

I put obstacles on top of the holes I’ve done in the past to try and keep them occupied and stretch the corn out another day or two. Have no fear of blocking them from getting to the corn be relentless they’ll find a way to get to it trust me I’ve tried and failed. A friend of mine whos not had much experience with pigs thought I was crazy putting a big rock over the hole...... Only until we went back and watched trail cam video of a big sow flipping over the 50lb rock. He looked at me stunned and said “That pig flipped that rock over like it was a frisbee“.

Josh B

I thought about just making new holes and going as deep as diggers will go. A dozen pigs can clean it out fast

95g atl

Is your club close to Sharon GA?
We have some land off Double Wells and plenty of those hogs there. I built coral traps and have portable ones.
Hog wallers are everywhere.

sasmojoe

I built some 5 gallon bucket feeders, where you drill holes in bucket , put some chain to the bucket and stake chain in ground, they will roll it around in circles to get the corn to fall out holes. Put you a Trail camera up and watch, it’s pretty comical.

Josh B

I built some 5 gallon bucket feeders, where you drill holes in bucket , put some chain to the bucket and stake chain in ground, they will roll it around in circles to get the corn to fall out holes. Put you a Trail camera up and watch, it’s pretty comical.
Sounds like it would work and be funny to watch. I've only sat twice and seen no pigs but when I'm not there they stay on camera. I guess they are smarter than I gave them credit for.

BowArrow

I started with the corn on the Ogeechee River. I used a five gallon bucket and anchored it with a large tent stake. They pulled the stake up and rolled the bucket to parts unknown. I anchored the second bucket to a concrete block and they twisted the rope up to the block and broke the handle off of the bucket. They rolled this bucket to parts unknown. I am on my third bucket. I also dug two post holes and they rooted the corn out. I have added a feeder to go off in the afternoon. I also put used motor oil in a nearby wallow. I am trying a green light on my bow. It will get exciting for a 82 year old man tracking a hog at night in the river swamp alone.

sleepr71

Instead of a bucket..use a piece of 4-5 ft long 4” pvc that’s threaded on one end. That way you can glue the top cap on,drill a hole in it,run a cable for a dog “tie out” to the swiveled stake & they can roll it in circles. The threaded end allows you to screw that cap off & refill it,easily. Drill a few 3/8 holes randomly & they’ll roll it around & around to make the corn fall out! Waay more durable than a 5 gallon bucket ?

sghoghunter

Instead of a bucket..use a piece of 4-5 ft long 4” pvc that’s threaded on one end. That way you can glue the top cap on,drill a hole in it,run a cable for a dog “tie out” to the swiveled stake & they can roll it in circles. The threaded end allows you to screw that cap off & refill it,easily. Drill a few 3/8 holes randomly & they’ll roll it around & around to make the corn fall out! Waay more durable than a 5 gallon bucket ?

Can’t see my pipe but it’s an 8in X around 6ft long that will hold 100lb of corn. They will empty it in less than a week

Attachments

• 19A0B037-BFF9-4452-8204-7585E1F0701D.png
    19A0B037-BFF9-4452-8204-7585E1F0701D.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 32

Josh B

I started with the corn on the Ogeechee River. I used a five gallon bucket and anchored it with a large tent stake. They pulled the stake up and rolled the bucket to parts unknown. I anchored the second bucket to a concrete block and they twisted the rope up to the block and broke the handle off of the bucket. They rolled this bucket to parts unknown. I am on my third bucket. I also dug two post holes and they rooted the corn out. I have added a feeder to go off in the afternoon. I also put used motor oil in a nearby wallow. I am trying a green light on my bow. It will get exciting for a 82 year old man tracking a hog at night in the river swamp alone.
I'm on the Ogeechee river also. I just put a electric feeder out and would like to put some lights on it too. I do plan on trying to use my bow but I'm just trying to get one with my gun first. I really thought I was going to shoot 2 or 3. I guess they have other plans

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I did 3 holes abot 10ft apart and as deep as the diggers would go. Filled it with sweet and soured corn. 3 days later you could put a car in the hole they dug