Post Prostrate Surgery Thread

DannyW

Underwent TURP surgery (look it up) this morning and feeling pretty good. No pain, just a little discomfort from the ball and chain (catheter). For you young bucks out there, it's an old man surgery to look forward to, AKA as "roto-rooter surgery".

Slept most of the day so now enjoying a little adult beverage (it's been 14 hours and no pain meds) and a little music on YouTube. Selected The Highway Men as my music of choice...Waylon, Willie, Kris and cousin Johnny. I say Cousin Johnny, that ain't exactly right, but he is in my family tree and appears to be my grandfather's second Cousin. What my relation is to him, who knows, let's just say that I wasn't mentioned in the will.

Young men enjoy every minute.... life will start throwing you curveballs when you get about 60.

Toliver

Underwent TURP surgery (look it up)
Really wish I hadn't. Google included diagrams. Glad you're doing OK. From the interwebs learning I just did, looks like the 6 weeks of recovery can be a little uncomfortable.

bilgerat

Senior
Hope you recover quickly with little discomfort; I had a robotic assisted radical Prostatectomy 4 years ago due to the C word , it took 6 months to recover and was not pleasant!!!! I should have gone and got mine checked sooner and probably would have avoided alot of pain, discomfort and the month of dealing with that dang catheter.
Guys , if your over 50 go get your prostrate checked!!!!!!!

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Hope you recover quickly with little discomfort; I had a robotic assisted radical Prostatectomy 4 years ago due to the C word , it took 6 months to recover and was not pleasant!!!! I should have gone and got mine checked sooner and probably would have avoided alot of pain, discomfort and the month of dealing with that dang catheter.
Guys , if your over 50 go get your prostrate checked!!!!!!!
I sure didn't have all that happen after my robotic radical removal in 12/20. Only had the catheter for 10 days or so.

Keep getting your PSA checked and find a doctor with skinny fingers :rofl:

Hoss

Hope your recovery goes well. I was going to have a Prostatectomy, but my cancer had spread to the point they said I would need to have radiation treatments after the surgery. The doctor had told me outcomes were pretty much the same for radiation and surgery so I thought why go through the surgery if I was going to have to do radiation anyway. What I didn’t know much about was the hormone therapy that you go on for a couple of years. It basically stops testosterone production. Nothing good from it other than it stops the cancer from growing. Side effects are lose of energy, muscle lose, and m personal favorite (not) hot flashes (ladies I now know how you feel).

Definitely get your prostate checked.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Hope your recovery goes well. I was going to have a Prostatectomy, but my cancer had spread to the point they said I would need to have radiation treatments after the surgery. The doctor had told me outcomes were pretty much the same for radiation and surgery so I thought why go through the surgery if I was going to have to do radiation anyway. What I didn’t know much about was the hormone therapy that you go on for a couple of years. It basically stops testosterone production. Nothing good from it other than it stops the cancer from growing. Side effects are lose of energy, muscle lose, and m personal favorite (not) hot flashes (ladies I now know how you feel).

Definitely get your prostate checked.
And worst of all about the hormone treatment is the cancer can return within years as has happened to a friend. Don't know what he is going to do.

Hoss

And worst of all about the hormone treatment is the cancer can return within years as has happened to a friend. Don't know what he is going to do.
They stopped the hormone therapy last spring after 18 months. Radiation was to take care of the cancer, hormone therapy was to stop growth and to shrink the prostate. Now, I am on regular PSA testing and as long as it stays down, I should be good. If it goes up, then it’s back to hormone therapy and look at other treatments. So far, PSA has been staying down. Hot flashes are still with me.:cry:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Cancer is nothing to play with nor take any chances with. If you`re of age and care about yourself and your family, get checked. I`m undergoing tests now for prostate cancer.

Toliver

Made an appointment today. It's been 11 years since my last one so I am overdue for my age (every 5 years).
Do you mean colonoscopy? I don't think you're overdue for a prostate exam. I'm pretty sure your prostate surgery yesterday counts toward that? Maybe? Colonoscopies are no big deal though.

Duff

Yeah...nice catch. Colonoscopy. My prostrate has been viewed so much lately it's getting camera shy!
:bounce:

Best of luck and prayers for any of you dealing with this, in any way.

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
I’m 43 and my Psa went from like .3 to 2.4 in a year. Doc said they want to check it again in February. It’s not real high but jumping that much in a year they want to check it again. Doc said it could have been up due to straining the body or other things so I’m hoping and praying it’s back down to normal. I sure don’t want to deal with this in my 40’s and praying hard it isn’t the dreaded C word. Sure couldn’t Imagine living with out the prostrate at my age.

jaybirdius

I had my first colonoscopy this year. About 5 years past when I should have. Thankfully everything was good. Do not put it off. Best nap I've ever had and the procedure wasn't a big deal. The drink doesn't taste good but was tolerable. The after effects of the drink were just alot of trips to the toilet. The peace of mind is worth some minor discomfort.

Toliver

I had my first colonoscopy this year. About 5 years past when I should have. Thankfully everything was good. Do not put it off. Best nap I've ever had and the procedure wasn't a big deal. The drink doesn't taste good but was tolerable. The after effects of the drink were just alot of trips to the toilet. The peace of mind is worth some minor discomfort.
And for anyone dreading the first one, there's nothing to dread. Going to the bathroom repeatedly is the worse part of the whole thing. That and maybe the taste of whatever cleansing agent they make you use. I've had 3 colonoscopies and used something different each time. During my first one, they removed 13 polyps. And even with all that cutting there was absolutely zero after affect. I couldn't even tell anything had been done. It's painless. Get it done.