Post Prostrate Surgery Thread

chase870

Possum Sox
Cancer is nothing to play with nor take any chances with. If you`re of age and care about yourself and your family, get checked. I`m undergoing tests now for prostate cancer.
If they schedule a biopsy and lie to you about numbing the prostate with lidocaine go ahead and put you to sleep for that. You'll thank me later

chase870

Possum Sox
I’m 43 and my Psa went from like .3 to 2.4 in a year. Doc said they want to check it again in February. It’s not real high but jumping that much in a year they want to check it again. Doc said it could have been up due to straining the body or other things so I’m hoping and praying it’s back down to normal. I sure don’t want to deal with this in my 40’s and praying hard it isn’t the dreaded C word. Sure couldn’t Imagine living with out the prostrate at my age.
I did the radio active seed implants I'm a bit older than you but there are certian things I wanted to have in working order after working on the cancer and the seed implants have doing there job

pjciii

If they schedule a biopsy and lie to you about numbing the prostate with lidocaine go ahead and put you to sleep for that. You'll thank me later
???
I have already had the CT scan. Dr said that my appointment on Jan 5th that he is probably need a biopsy. My psa is out of wack high for my age. Why was your biopsy painful? Local numbing? Do I understand correctly that they put you out for it?

pjciii

I did the radio active seed implants I'm a bit older than you but there are certian things I wanted to have in working order after working on the cancer and the seed implants have doing there job
If I have cancer of the prostate. I want find a Dr that uses Nano Knife Therapy if I qualify. My dad had the radiation seeding. It was a long recovery for him.

BriarPatch99

Had prostate removal with the Di Vinchi robot method back in June '23.... Staples and cather were the only issues ...I was fortunate that the cancer was all contained within the prostrate...

Prayers for all those suffering. ....and those that will suffer....

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
???
I have already had the CT scan. Dr said that my appointment on Jan 5th that he is probably need a biopsy. My psa is out of wack high for my age. Why was your biopsy painful? Local numbing? Do I understand correctly that they put you out for it?
I wouldn't call the biopsy a long lasting pain but each snip of tissue did sting a little. There was no numbing in my case. Wide awake to 'enjoy' the experience.

Toliver

How do they get to the prostate?
Remember that Google search I mentioned I wish I hadn't done.... Google that procedure and there be pictures.

transfixer

I'm different than most I suppose, I will never let them touch my prostate if there is ever a reason they want to, my psa numbers are very low as of my latest lab work, they wanted to do a biopsy on my dad when he was 58, he told them no, he died at 64 of something totally unrelated to his prostate,

Almost every person I know that has had prostate surgery of one kind or another , has been literally miserable for a year or more afterwards, some longer, because of the side effects, a very good friend of mine underwent radical prostate surgery, radiation and chemo, had maybe two good years and it showed back up in various parts of his body, they now say they can't do anything for him, he wishes he'd never let them touch it .

there is a reason they call it the 'practice of medicine" , they don't have it down , they're still experimenting, I will NOT be a guinea pig,

I hope the op and everyone who has underwent the procedure has a good outcome and beats the odds, but they will NEVER experiment on me !

I was born with it, I'll die with it intact , cancer is terrible, but most times the treatments for it are worse than just living with it until it gets you in my opinion

DannyW

Yeah, a good friend, and an actual doctor no less, told me that this is extremely painful. He had it done as a precursor to prostrate surgery.

I'll take his word on it.

DannyW

I'm different than most I suppose, I will never let them touch my prostate if there is ever a reason they want to, my psa numbers are very low as of my latest lab work, they wanted to do a biopsy on my dad when he was 58, he told them no, he died at 64 of something totally unrelated to his prostate,

Almost every person I know that has had prostate surgery of one kind or another , has been literally miserable for a year or more afterwards, some longer, because of the side effects, a very good friend of mine underwent radical prostate surgery, radiation and chemo, had maybe two good years and it showed back up in various parts of his body, they now say they can't do anything for him, he wishes he'd never let them touch it .

there is a reason they call it the 'practice of medicine" , they don't have it down , they're still experimenting, I will NOT be a guinea pig,

I hope the op and everyone who has underwent the procedure has a good outcome and beats the odds, but they will NEVER experiment on me !

I was born with it, I'll die with it intact , cancer is terrible, but most times the treatments for it are worse than just living with it until it gets you in my opinion
I respect your opinion Transfixer, I really do. But it is not always a cut and dry situation.

My operation came about as a result of not being able to pee. It was not an experiment for me, the doctor drained 1.75 liters of fluid through the catheter. For a point of reference, the male bladder, on average, is designed to hold .75 liters of fluid.

So far, so good.

Without the bag I have spent the day trying to remember when to pee, and when not to. You don't want get that mixed up, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DannyW

Had prostate removal with the Di Vinchi robot method back in June '23.... Staples and cather were the only issues ...I was fortunate that the cancer was all contained within the prostrate...

Prayers for all those suffering. ....and those that will suffer....
From your picture, you are young for this mess. On the plus side, you have eliminated future issues.

How many of us in our 20's/30's would have projected these things happening in our 60's? Life likes to take a swipe at you every now and then.

transfixer

I respect your opinion Transfixer, I really do. But it is not always a cut and dry situation.

My operation came about as a result of not being able to pee. It was not an experiment for me, the doctor drained 1.75 liters of fluid through the catheter. For a point of reference, the male bladder, on average, is designed to hold .75 liters of fluid.

So far, so good.

Without the bag I have spent the day trying to remember when to pee, and when not to. You don't want get that mixed up, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I understand that situation, I'm 62, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've taken supplements that are supposed to help the prostate and keep it from enlarging, as of yet I have no issues, when and if I do I guess I'll have to explore other options,

I just thoroughly distrust the medical industry , especially when it comes to treating prostrate problems, I personally know multiple guys whose romantic life ended after prostrate surgery, and I know one guy I used to work with who now cannot control his bladder at all because of prostrate surgery. I cannot see myself living like that whatsoever

I realize there are many who have decent or good outcomes , but I won't take the risk, one thing I've learned over the years is the medical industry is geared towards promoting procedures and treatments which are beneficial to their profession, they seldom actually have the best interest of the patient in mind, if they did they would promote every other option other than surgery, the Doctors that try to steer you away from surgery are few and far between

Hoss

???

I wouldn't call the biopsy a long lasting pain but each snip of tissue did sting a little. There was no numbing in my case. Wide awake to 'enjoy' the experience.
Pretty much the same for me, except they did numb me a bit, but could still feel it. Wasn’t really terrible, but you definitely wouldn’t sleep through it.

My biopsy resulted in a fairly high Gleason score (their method of determining how bad your cancer is and gives guidance on treatments which can range from active monitoring to removal of the prostate.). My Geason score indicated that something needed to be done and the cancer was fairly aggressive. First step was and MRI and bone scan to see if the cancer had spread. Those came back good. My doctor then went over the options with me, surgery to remove or radiation. I was initially going to go with surgery to get it over with, but then found out that I was going to need radiation anyway, so decided why go through the surgery. Survival statistics were roughly the same for surgery and radiation so that wasn’t a factor. Part of the treatment was hormone therapy which has actually been the worst part of the treatment. Six months later, inserted radioactive seeds into the prostate and then 3-4 weeks later, had 35 external radiation treatments. Hormone therapy continued and just ended last spring. Still have side effects from that, but everything else is pretty much OK.
Doctors have been very good. They have taken the time to talk to me about the procedures and discuss the outcomes. Now they have told me that in 20 years, I may develop secondary cancer from the radiation, but at my age, I’m not real worried about that. It’s also a reason on younger people, the radiation treatments are less desirable.

Transfixer, I understand and respect your position on doctors and medicine in general. Seems there are a lot of things that they “treat”, but don’t cure (diabetes is my prime example). There are, however, some things that need to be taken care of. Your steps to prevent issues is great and I encourage everyone to follow your lead and do what they can to maintain their health. What needs to happen though is to make sure that you keep up with health checkups cause things will sneak up on you which could, be prevented or made a lot less of a problem if you know about them. I am a prime candidate that didn’t follow that advice and got snuck up on with a heart attack, diabetes (prime reason I ended up with the heart attack), and prostate cancer. I’ve been blessed to come through all of those and be in pretty decent shape, still do largely what I want to and have friends that ask me why I do some of the things I do at my age (like getting up on the roof and cleaning leaves and pine straw off). Slowing down but not dead yet so I will keep doing stuff that tests me a bit.