Price of Deer Feeds

sghoghunter

My question is if you had two twin buck fawns and they both lived in the same area as the other but one had access to protein feed and one didn’t. In three years how many inches of bone will the protein add that extra birthdays didn’t?

Gbr5pb

Neighbors used to run year round protein feeders before they went bankrupt. I believe it helped my deer’s too that’s when I got picture in profile and killed my best. About the same time other neighbor farm went from peanuts and soybeans to cotton and quit planting rye in the fall for his cattle. The size of the deers hasn’t been the same

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My question is if you had two twin buck fawns and they both lived in the same area as the other but one had access to protein feed and one didn’t. In three years how many inches of bone will the protein add that extra birthdays didn’t?
They would just about get the same. I’ve done told y’all. Brairs and natural forage is at 16%. The more u mow the better off u are. This year we had rain. Them antlers we seek are growing c

sghoghunter

Neighbors used to run year round protein feeders before they went bankrupt. I believe it helped my deer’s too that’s when I got picture in profile and killed my best. About the same time other neighbor farm went from peanuts and soybeans to cotton and quit planting rye in the fall for his cattle. The size of the deers hasn’t been the same

How did the hunting change on the neighbors after they went bankrupt?

Bud Man

I'm a firm believer that people that have the time and the money to feed the protein and grow the deer their looking for will put forth the effort, most people in my opinion want to see a big deer with very little effort. Yes there is a large cost involved , high effort is greatly rewarded. Most of who do feed year-round high nutritional value foods are rewarded with sightings and harvest, even if an adjoining property owner happens to take a wild deer that they would have let go. Everyone has a hobby, and it all depends on where people want to spend their money lol. If you do research and buy them bulk the cost of the supplemental feeding won't be anywhere near as expensive as most people think. 10 pallets of high protein feed from a supplier can be a whole lot cheaper than one pallet, or five bags from a retailer, etc etc. And later in the season, corn from a retailer as "bait"is way more expensive than finding a bulk supplier locally. Spend the time and research higher value products at lesser cost. It has proven to be successful in my area for me.

Long Cut

I don't buy that. Protein is protein and if I eat a hamburger or drink a protein shake my body doesn't know the difference in the protein. A deer's body can only consume 16% protein the rest goes out the back door, unabsorbed by the deer's body. Feed pellets isn't the only source of protein a deer will eat throughout the day and I'm sure it will find the other 1% difference out there on it's own. As far as copper, we have mineral blocks and sites for that.

What happens when you’re on a timber lease managed for pines, the Forester only sprays Imazypyr to control vegetative growth, so the only foliage that survives are pine trees and briars?
*Prescribed burns are more beneficial than spraying Imazypyr, which is a soil sterilization herbicide*
Years 1-8ish after a clearcut are amazing. Years 9-15 (or up until the first thinning) are awful.

You can only plant “X” acres in food plots and you cannot cut or burn the pines.
Your limited to performing trail camera surveys and shooting a bunch of does to prevent the population from stunting out.

Supplemental feeding does provide value. The importance varies property to property.

The only constant is that supplemental feeding is expensive.

buckpasser

Crazy prices. I stopped three or four years ago...I would rather buy a nice piece of equipment with the amount of money it would take to justify it. I opted to just do control burns on sections of my property and food plots.

That makes sense. I wouldn’t even fool with protein feeding unless the habitat was pegged out. I’d want good browse, good fawning cover, good bedding, etc. first. What good is the feed without the property being right? It would be like having a sweet touch screen GPS/depth finder setup on your Walmart inflatable raft.

rstallings1979

Not going to comment on the brand differences vs cost per bag. However, there has been wildlife biologist studies that show "feed loss" (due to non-whitetail consummation, etc) was/is much higher than the 10% calculated above......but ultimately it is tabbed "supplemental" feed program - that is supplemental to year around plantings/maintenance of feeding plots, cultivation of native browse (prescribe fire, TSI etc) - so in effect if we are simply filling feeders 6 months out of the year AND it is not supported by all the other aspects of deer management as noted then it's probably primary feeding not a supplemented feed program. If you have more money than time, just fill feeders; if you have more time than money, work/prep your hunting land with year around plots - annual and perennial, TSI forest management etc...
That makes sense. I wouldn’t even fool with protein feeding unless the habitat was pegged out. I’d want good browse, good fawning cover, good bedding, etc. first. What good is the feed without the property being right? It would be like having a sweet touch screen GPS/depth finder setup on your Walmart inflatable raft.
Well on a side note...me and my boys get much more enjoyment out of my yearly burns and planting of food plots than filling a feeder as well.

Dean

Sounds like that target buck is on there place. Do y’all hunt bows durning archery.
Yes, sure, on that lease everyone bow hunts, several never pick-up a firearm all season. Neighboring property (separated by country road) both archery and firearm. We do have a very large tract with high acre to low hunter ratio, so while there is hunting pressure on our tract it's not major. We also have probably anywhere from 50-60, maybe 60+ trail camera's on the property and while we understand we don't get photo inventory of every buck, we do get a majority of the ones constantly ranging/living on our tract. Interestingly as we know, free range mature bucks are impossible to stockpile and generally seem to visit a preferred feeder later Summer into early archery season - we can get the same mature buck regularly coming to a feed station all Summer and early archery but never get a pic of him on another feeder several 100 yards away. Anyway, point being you are correct generally, target bucks don't tend to shift ranges or move much in terms of acreage until they are hard horned and entering pre-rut seeking/rut chasing so as posted. So if that target buck is on us early, he will stay on us early, and vise vesa. I prefer native habitat management, perennial plots, annual plots, TSI, burning rotations etc. for growing healthy herds - honestly think its better and more cost effective in the long term. Nevertheless, if your neighbors are into a heavy feeding program and your property doesn't have anything to compete with it (security, water, food) then just my opinion you have narrowed opportunities to even see the target bucks (with exception of maybe a few rut weeks out a 4 month season). Granted, hunting mature (4.5 yr old generally, 5.5, 5.5 yr old+ mostly) bucks is not for everyone, I get it. No qualms there. You also have to hunt tracts were bucks can maximize their DNA potential whatever that is (does contribute 50% +) and then have birthdays... . Are neighboring feeders helping the 2.5 and 3.5 yr olds that could disperse across the road once the batchelor groups break-up, yep. Anyway, back to the original post - find a supplemental feed you are comfortable paying for but don't neglect that fact that it is called "supplemental"...in supplement to green fields, native browse, TSI, hard mass, soft mass, doe harvest for carry capacity -- it all needs to work in unison, just my .02 cents

SRShunter

I think if you wanna grow big bucks pay for a fleet of dump trucks to haul you a bunch of dirt from the Midwest to your place.