Protecting neoprene wader boot

Concrete Pete

I have an issue where I always walk a toe hole into my shoes. It’s always the right foot. I keep my toenails short, but that doesn’t seem to matter.

Does anyone else have this issue and how do you fix it?

I imagine my toe is just point up into the neoprene fibers and working it’s way through?

Normally, I just patch with Aquaseal Neo once the holes are bad enough. However, I’d like to avoid the problem in the first place.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't usually wear waders, but I do wear the neoprene wading socks under my wading boots. That happens to mine, too. I just get a new pair every couple years. Walking up and down these steep hills does it, I think.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Place a ban aid on your toe.

flyrod444

Do you wear socks inside your wader? A thick pair of socks should keep your toes from wearing a hole in wader boot.

Concrete Pete

Do you wear socks inside your wader? A thick pair of socks should keep your toes from wearing a hole in wader boot.

Thanks. Yes, I wear gold toe socks (just normal cotton socks). Is there a brand or type you recommend?

flyrod444

I usually wear Simms wader socks or smart wool when wearing waders. While neoprene wader socks for wet wading wear out with use, I've never seen neoprene booties on a pair of waders wear a hole through like you describe. We get thorn holes and leaks from cutting on rocks and even seams that leak but the neoprene booties on waders seem to be much tougher than the ones for wet wading. I just wear a thick sock when wet wading with a size smaller boot than when I wear waders.

Concrete Pete

I don't usually wear waders, but I do wear the neoprene wading socks under my wading boots. That happens to mine, too. I just get a new pair every couple years. Walking up and down these steep hills does it, I think.

I really enjoy wet wading and I’ll probably do it until November (assuming October doesn’t get too cold).