PSA tree stand safety

BowFan

A new neighbor moved in next door in Apr of this year. Mid forties age guy with a large dog. He told me about the places he would take his son when he had summer custody.

Neighbor's parents frequently came up to stay with him. Last week I spoke with his parents about the hunting trips they had planned with him, out of state, for later this year.

His parents and my neighbor both drove trucks.

This past Saturday, Oct 29 I walked out to check the mailbox and noted no trucks were home. As I came back with mail, I saw 1 truck at his house. As I got closer I could hear his dog barking in the house, very excitedly. Non-stop barking for a normally quiet dog. Also thought I heard loud screaming or wailing coming from the home. The sounds gave me the willies, so I decided to call the neighbor to advise him in case there was a problem and any assistance was needed. He never picked up and I left a voice message to advise him.

Long story short a few days later I found my neighbor was killedon Saturday when his tree climbing stand broke and he fell. Some details in news link below.

I imagine those sounds I heard next door were probably sounds of grief. I can't imagine how hurt and heartbroken his children and parents feel.

Guys and gals, please wear safety equipment every time you step off the ground in a hunting stand. Lots of manufacturers how-to videos on tree stand safety on the internet, as well as apps and videos and tips at the "Tree Stand Manufacturers" web site.

I hope it is ok to post the links. I haven't been active on GON forums in years, so correct me as needed.

frankwright

So sad.
I started out in the 70's with a rope around me and the tree. Later I got the Delta seat shop to sew me up two belts with buckles, one for the tree and one for me.
Later I went to a linesmen's belt,then a harness, then a harness vest and finally a Rock Climbers belt.
I am out of the hang on stand business,climbing stands are limited and I am more
of Ground Seat,Ladder Stand and Blind in that order.
Don't ever climb without a harness.

psedna

UAEC
A hunter near hawkinsvlle, fell backwards out of a climber many years ago, and hung suspended upside down for several hours. Luckily they got to him, but I understand he had complications for life.

I preach repeatedly to my grandson around climber, loc on and overall safety, prob thinks I am a nut but I was the one that introduced him to the outdoors and hunting and I take that responsibility to impart the knowledge to him.

I came from a manufacturing background and we had to drink the safety "koolaid" but I am glad that I already had the basic appreciation and respect for safety. at work at home at play....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A new neighbor moved in next door in Apr of this year. Mid forties age guy with a large dog. He told me about the places he would take his son when he had summer custody.

Neighbor's parents frequently came up to stay with him. Last week I spoke with his parents about the hunting trips they had planned with him, out of state, for later this year.

His parents and my neighbor both drove trucks.

This past Saturday, Oct 29 I walked out to check the mailbox and noted no trucks were home. As I came back with mail, I saw 1 truck at his house. As I got closer I could hear his dog barking in the house, very excitedly. Non-stop barking for a normally quiet dog. Also thought I heard loud screaming or wailing coming from the home. The sounds gave me the willies, so I decided to call the neighbor to advise him in case there was a problem and any assistance was needed. He never picked up and I left a voice message to advise him.

Long story short a few days later I found my neighbor was killedon Saturday when his tree climbing stand broke and he fell. Some details in news link below.

I imagine those sounds I heard next door were probably sounds of grief. I can't imagine how hurt and heartbroken his children and parents feel.

Guys and gals, please wear safety equipment every time you step off the ground in a hunting stand. Lots of manufacturers how-to videos on tree stand safety on the internet, as well as apps and videos and tips at the "Tree Stand Manufacturers" web site.

I hope it is ok to post the links. I haven't been active on GON forums in years, so correct me as needed.
I’m glad you decided to post this! It’s terrible that this happened and I hope we can learn something out of it. I’m dealing with safety issues where I’m roaming right now. As I get older I’d like to think I’m getting smarter.

BowFan

Thanks for your comments. I take a risk posting about it as it is not MY family I'm posting about. I hope I don't offend his family. It shook me up when I heard about him, so I felt the urge to put a face on the danger to show its real and very bad.

I have almost always hunted alone, and most of the time hunt from a climber, ladder, or lock-on tree stand. I would not want to be hanging upside down or otherwise. I've tried to learn from other peoples mistakes and my mistakes.

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you're going to climb it's not enough to just wear a safety harness and call it done on safety. The reliability of the stand you are climbing with/into is just as important.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Maybe LDB can make a safety video on this subject...

::gone:

uturn

Very sad…I used to run wild and still can’t believe how wild been quite a few years now that I have been clipped in everytime in everything even a ladder…its amazing the ease to do and the comfort you and your family will feel once you are 100% committed to it!

Still trying to convince a good friend of mine of his foolishness as he still has total disregard…I also pray for him!!

Do it folks your life truly does depend on it!! Your family and friends deserve it too!!

A sad reminder prayers for the family…thanks for sharing!

rugerfan

This article, a few other articles I have read lately, and the podcast I listened to about a man falling out of a tree stand has made me super cautious. More cautious than I used to be, of course I think age has something to do with that too. I am on the front walk heading to the front door of 50. Not as fearless as I once was, and it has been coming for the last 5 or 6, not as sure footed in the trees anymore.

deadend

The way I see it now after many years of doing demonstrations on treestand safety, is that those that care are already doing it and those that aren't simply won't change.

rugerfan

Every year I inspect the welds on my climber, get a wrench out and check to make sure the bolts are snug. I replace my safety harness yearly.

I used to just climb then attach the harness to the tree, now as soon as I am in I attach, then climb a couple feet re-adjust the strap, and repeat. It doesn't take that much longer.

treemanjohn

Banned
Every year I inspect the welds on my climber, get a wrench out and check to make sure the bolts are snug. I replace my safety harness yearly.

I used to just climb then attach the harness to the tree, now as soon as I am in I attach, then climb a couple feet re-adjust the strap, and repeat. It doesn't take that much longer.
Visual inspection of welds is just a feel good and bolts shear. Especially since so much is made in China. Always wear a harness or saddle if you have folks that care about you

Glad you posted this. The optimist in me hopes these real life tragedies will influence those not wearing one.

I posted this a couple years ago, but I hunted my entire life and never used one. It wasn’t til my kids started hunting with me that I forced them to wear one and I wore one when I was with them. Then one year I was stressing the importance of wearing one with my daughter and she asked me if I wore one even when she’s not there. I of course lied and said yes, but I was convicted by that conversation and starting wearing one all the time after. The following season I had an incident that made very thankful I had one on. Don’t be an idiot like me and just wear one. There are very reasonably priced light weight, comfortable options out there; and it only adds seconds to your climb when you get used to it.

furtaker

I wear a rock climbing harness everytime I leave the ground and I can't imagine not wearing one. I'd feel naked without it and the hunt is much more enjoyable when you know you're safe.