Quartering up Deer on the Ground

NCMTNHunter

After reading a bunch of posts on here about different methods of getting deer out of the woods and different methods of quartering deer, I started thinking about a method that I use a lot that I haven't read much about on here. It's been touched on but I haven't seen anything in great detail about it. Knowing how to quarter up game on the ground is something that I think could benefit most hunters at some point in their hunting career. It can save you weight on a long haul out. It can help you to get your meat cooled down fast early season. Depending on where you live it can save you the hassle of disposing of waste at home. One of the best parts is the only tool you have to have is a sharp skinning knife (even though some para cord can be helpful). Here is a step by step rundown of how I quarter up game on the ground.

1. Start with the deer laying on either side. Cut a wide circle around the butt.

2. From the butt cut, cut a up beside the tail to the middle of the back.

3. Skin out the base of the tail to find a joint in the tail bone and separate the tail bone.

4. Make a cut up the center of the back and neck all the way to the base of the skull. Make sue to go far enough that you can locate where the last vertebrae attaches to the skull.

5. Start at the hip and skin the hide off the entire side of the deer until the ham, shoulder, neck, ribs, and belly are exposed. Basically you are removing the hide from the entire half of the deer the is facing up.

6. Cut loose the 1/2 hide from the carcass and lay it out on a flat spot hair side down. This way you can lay the cuts of meat on the flesh side of the hide to keep the meat clean. if you have rope and are going to hang the meat you can still use the hide to stage the meat until you get it hung.

7. Remove the ham, shoulder, exposed backstrap, and exposed half of the neck

8. Cut a window in the (triangle shaped) area of the belly lining behind the last rib and below the spine to remove the inner loin.

9. Flip the carcass over and repeat steps 5 - 8.

10. If you are going to keep the skull/head. Find the last vertebrae and cut everything in line with it around the neck that isn't bone. Then twist the skull and it should come off with a rotation or two if everything is removed properly. (This part can be frustrating until you've done it a time or two)

Now to throw a wrench in things... If this critter is something you want to mount and you need to keep the cape you will have to keep the front half of the hide in tact. You will still cut all the way down the back and neck to the skull but when you get to step 5 you can remove the back half of the hide at about the last rib. You need to take extra care to keep the cut up the back of the neck as centered and straight as possible. Your taxidermist will appreciate it. Then you just have to be careful about keeping the front half of the hide in tact.

Another trick you can use if you are by yourself. When removing the ham and shoulder it is helpful to have to leg slightly lifted from the hoof end. I have found myself without rope and cut a forked stick to prop the leg up. Its best if you can work under some tree limbs and use rope to pull the legs up slightly when you need to reach underneath.

I hope this helps someone out in the next few months. Good luck!

Sixes

Great info.

It is also handy to learn to short bone the hams. Most folks I see cut the hams at the wrong joint and don't realize how easy it is to cut through the top joint on the ham We refer to it as the Poachers Cut. This cut removes the legs and leaves the ham about like a volleyball

Also, a good stout 20-25 foot piece of mule rope is good to have if there are trees with limbs low enough to hang one.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Great info brother. I have done this with the last few pigs and I’ll never do it any other way! But To be honest, I have been watching a ton of videos lately....I mean a lot. Deer are a little different than pigs.....a little.
On public land I can’t use a 4 wheeler, and I just don’t see me dragging dead weight back to the truck. I have a pack pack, and everything I need to take 8 pieces of meat with me and leave the carcass for the birds and yotes. I intend to take both loins, both sides of the neck and all 4 quarters.......if it’s cool out and the deer is big enough I may start cleaning rib bones.
one of the best things learned was how to take apart the front knee with a knife. I remember getting beaten to death with that knee Last year Twice and both deer were hanging! Now I cannot wait to kill a deer and start the work!

You should do a video as well!

NCMTNHunter

I've seen hunters out west quarter elk in the field and they don't even skin it, they quarter it out with the hide on it. Don't need a game bag. Don't know why you couldn't do the same with a deer.

You can do that with deer and I have done it once on an elk. We could see a big rainstorm coming in and left the hide on the quarters to try to hurry up and get out of there. It did save time in the field but I felt like it was a tougher job getting the hide off the quarters later than if We had just done it to begin with.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve done a lot very similar and really like leaving the carcass in the woods for Mother Nature to take care of . One thing I’ll add is that I’ve caped out a few the past few years and not sure about most but my taxidermist doesn’t make a cut all the way down from the skull down the back . He only cuts a Y between the antlers and maybe a foot down the back of the neck

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

NCMTNHunter

I have done this many times. I like your process and would love to see a video of it, as well.

This video from Tagging Out Traditional is how I do it usually:

Tagging Out Traditional - Field Quartering for Long Pack Outs

What I do is similar to this. The main differences are that I start at the other end, and he didn’t seem to keep the neck, or inner loins. Depending on how much time I have, or if I’m hunting out of state I will usually just de-bone the quarters instead of cutting the legs off at the knees.

BASS1FUN

After all that get a back brace and get a massage I know that’s how I was feeling after having to quarter one a few years ago, my truck was broke down and I had to take a car the buck was so heavy that I couldn’t load him in the trunk to take him to my skinning tree so I had to quarter him on the ground

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Plenty of videos on using the gutless method to quarter a deer / elk in the field.

I like to start with the ankles and skin the whole side. Lay the skin over on the ground. gives you a good place to set the meat while getting it in game bag. You really need it with a elk. Not so much on a deer.

Also if its cold i hang the quarters on a nearby limb and let them cool some. Until i finish up the job.

rosewood

I've seen hunters out west quarter elk in the field and they don't even skin it, they quarter it out with the hide on it. Don't need a game bag. Don't know why you couldn't do the same with a deer.
I saw instructions on how to do a hog on the ground years ago and do my own version with deer on the tailgate of my truck.

I put the deer on it's belly sort of on the tail gate. I use a hook razor knife to open up the hide. Run it right down the spine from neck to butt. Cut the hide back to access the quarters and back strap. Cut out one side, then turn the deer around and do the other. Never touch the guts. Put the meat in the cooler I keep in the truck. Pull the carcass off the tailgate where I drop it at for the buzzards. When I leave the woods, my deer is in the cooler and I stop and grab a bag of ice to pour over top. Keep a bottle of soap and water in the bed of my truck to wash up. I use a large pair of cable cutters to chop off the lower leg. Sure beats a saw and trying to find that joint to cut the tendons through.

Couple of years back, it was dark and rainy so I brought it home and did in my driveway, dang that blood was hard to wash off the concrete, took me way longer to cleanup than did do quarter. And I then had to dispose of the carcass. Yeah, I know, should have soaked down the concrete with water before getting blood on it, but I was in a hurry.

Rosewood

fishman1957

Easy to skin and bone out on ground never had to to do deer like that but have done cattle and hogs skin one side flip skin other side bone out on hide may loose alittle meat but it's a lot less to carry out !!

hambone76

I’ve used this method on numerous pigs and a few deer. It works.
If you are field quartering game on public land, be sure to hang an extra orange vest up above you.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This guy says that Warren Womack is who showed him how to do this. Womack is the real deal.
That Womack video is really cool.....an oldie too! His first deer of the season is a big ole Buck! He keeps saying how this is a big ole deer and they don’t usually mess with them that big.

crucible02

That Womack video is really cool.....an oldie too! His first deer of the season is a big ole Buck! He keeps saying how this is a big ole deer and they don’t usually mess with them that big.

I actually went back and watched it last night. I think it was filmed in 1991. Really good buck, too!

Latest posts