Question about WMA

tonyrittenhouse

I have been battleing cancer for the last year and a half and have not been able to hunt. I have had 5 surgerys in the last 6 months and I am starting to feel a little better but still very weak. I have always hunted Cohutta wma my whole life and really want to at least get to go sit in the woods with my gun. I know I will not be able to walk the miles I usually do on this hunt and may only be able to walk a couple hundred yards from my truck. Anyway my youngest son who is 30 years old and does not hunt said he would help me through the woods and sit with me and drag anything out I might get " which is a slim chance on Cohutta only being able to walk a short distance" . Is it legal for him to be out there with me without a liscense as long as he has orange on and without a weapon ? I have a lifetime liscense and this will be my second season not getting to hunt, I would just like to be able to hunt at least 1 day this season.

i

Sixes

He will have to have a license whether he is hunting or helping if he is in the woods. But, he could get an apprentice license for a few bucks a day.

dusty200001

He will have to have at least a wma land pass to be on the property. As long as he does not have a gun this will be totally legal with the land pass. A big help to y’all would be a good game cart and or in addition to field dressing the deer. Wish y’all the best

35 Whelen

The definition of "Hunting" on page 12 of the regulations booklet says "includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take such wildlife or feral hogs."
So, if it were me I would have my son get an Apprentice Hunting & Fishing License for $5.00 (additional days $1.00 each) and a One day Big Game License for $10.00 (additional days $2.00 each) and a free Harvest Record to be %100 legal.

Last edited:

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
Hunting and big game I believe. As far as Mr green jeans is concerned you could have handed your rifle over to your accomplice.

Either way, I hope you get the chance to go and have a successful hunt and good luck to you in your treatment sir.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The apprentice license is the way to go as I also believe in being 100% legal but --

I would be happy to help flay any officer who interfered in this particular situation, any DA who brought a charge, and any judge who did not immediately dismiss it if brought.

sb1010

I think the apprentice only covers small game. So he would need a big game license just in case there is a problem.