Rabbit Customs.

Corey

Just wondering if any of you have a certain way
you guys hunt..like Daddy Rabbit only hunts with
a 410..We usually let the first rabbit run at least
a full circle before we kill it at any hunt.

Sorry slow day :)

Anyone?

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
When me and my hunting partner go we turn them out shortly after daybreak.Get all the dogs on the ground then break out the coffee and honeybuns.We like to let them run for about an hour then we suit up and walk down the road to cut off the rabbit.Once we shoot the rabbit we wait for another to get up and let it run for a good while also before taking it.I used to be a die hard hunter all about the kill but it's all about watching the sun come up listening to some music now.I hunted more last year than i have in a while and i might have taken 5 rabbits for the season.I left the rest to run again!

Rabbit Tracks Everywhere`````````````````````````````````>

No Jump Shooting!!

Talk about having a Fit!

I would have a F I T !! if anyone ever shoots a rabbit on the JUMP!!

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

canepatch

I have a preacher hunting partner who is very trigger happy. On the first turnout of a hunt last year the dogs struck & jumped a rabbit just off the road. The preacher started loading his gun. I had a briar-framing stick in hand. I told him that I would rap the stick around his neck if he shot the rabbit when it first crossed the road. Needless to say, we had a good run before the harvest!

crackerdave

When I saw the thread title,I thought "What's ol' Corey up to now?" Rabbits don't have to go through customs,do they?:D

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I dont jump shoot at all! Why would you bother raising hounds then roll the rabbit in front of them without a bark. :huh:

I enjoy the race and often let the rabbit go by. Sometimes I think if dogs could talk they would yell, "Hey, I got it back now do your job!" :shoot:

Corey, I hunted with one old timer who really liked the hunting horn to call his dogs. It was kind nice, instead of yelling he would blow his horn to call the dogs. It actually made sense as the horn was louder than our voices could have been.

Last edited:

Corey

When I saw the thread title,I thought "What's ol' Corey up to now?" Rabbits don't have to go through customs,do they?:D

I did not know the best title for what I wanted
to get out of this thread :)

Corey

Daddy Rabbit you would not have a fit would
you :rofl:

Beagler282 do you set the the Honey Bun on the
dash to warm up before you eat it do you? :cool:

Last edited:

houndsman

i like to let them run a good race . then close the deal . i hunted with a few last year that want be on the list this year . they were shooting auto . shotguns and unloading the gun on the first rabbit . me most of the time 20 ga. single shot . i bought an auto. 20 youth model for this year . but im use to the old single shot.

Little Rabbit

Be safe at all time!! no Big Bore Guns like Daddy Rabbit only hunts with a 410..and No Jump Shooting . and the one who kills the most rabbit buy's the pespi and moon pie on the way home !!!!! :bounce:<><

Last edited:

specialk

customs......

i never load my gun till the first rabbit of the day is jumped, we never jump shoot any rabbits,if a hunter kicks up a bunny they will call the dogs over to the track, i also pull the tail off and drop it on the ground where i pick up the dead rabbit i shot, during january i hunt with a double 20, then switch to a double 410 in february, when i get through cleaning rabbits i save the hind feet and give them to any puppies i may have......

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Daddy Rabbit you would not have a fit would
you :rofl:

Beagler282 do you set the the Honey Bun on the
dash to warm up before you eat it do you? :cool:

Oh yea D.R. has been known to have a fit when it comes to his hounds.I have witnessed them.:eek:

bjtillman

Now Daddy Rabbit: So you mean to tell me that you would have a fit if one of those 3 little boys I brought up there to hunt with you jump shot a rabbit. I know you better than that!!!

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Now Daddy Rabbit: So you mean to tell me that you would have a fit if one of those 3 little boys I brought up there to hunt with you jump shot a rabbit. I know you better than that!!!

Should be an interesting answer.:rofl::rofl:

Red Female Pup~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

B.J. back then when they were small, I would be able to contain myself, but today there are Big Enought to Know better!!

I am always Pulling for The Rabbit, Always !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Say my Friends Sally, Katrin & Jackie came by my place Saturday about 3:00 P.M. just dropoped by to see the Old REd Neck !! I was soo gald to see them, we all went our for Supper, and then just like that were Gone, back to Ky.

Those gals are a Hoot to gun hunt with!! Not very good with the 410's!

They were very impressed with your running pen!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

bjtillman

I did not get much of chance to talk to them as they were there visiting a friend who runs in my pen. You are right though they are a hoot. They did not see much of the pen because we turned out right at the gate. It is about 110 acres oak ridge, planted pines (some 20 years old that have been thinned, about 15 acres that are 5 to 6 years old, oak ridge about 35 acres, 4 acre pond and a long hard wood branch that runs the length of the pen). We ran some male dogs right before they left that I think came out of her bloodlines that I was impressed with. They left around 11 pm and we ran until about 2:30 am. Them males had me so pumped I couldn't sleep and had to get up and do again about daylight.

Corey

I did not get much of chance to talk to them as they were there visiting a friend who runs in my pen. You are right though they are a hoot. They did not see much of the pen because we turned out right at the gate. It is about 110 acres oak ridge, planted pines (some 20 years old that have been thinned, about 15 acres that are 5 to 6 years old, oak ridge about 35 acres, 4 acre pond and a long hard wood branch that runs the length of the pen). We ran some male dogs right before they left that I think came out of her bloodlines that I was impressed with. They left around 11 pm and we ran until about 2:30 am. Them males had me so pumped I couldn't sleep and had to get up and do again about daylight.

How big is your running pen?