Range Finder Question

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I use a Nikon range finder that sells for about $180. It works flawless out to about 100-150 yards and then it starts getting tough to get a reading even when it seems I have a good tree or other backstop to lock in on.

Do the higher end units lock in better at longer distances or are you paying for gadgets?

Jim

GeauxLSU

Jim,
I've got the 800 yd model and though I've never tried to range anything 800 yards it appears to work very consistently as far as I have tried, around 500 yards. ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

DaddyPaul

Jim last year I had the Laser 660, this year the Laser 440 both from Nikon. I can easily read the distance to a tree or other BIG object out to 200-250 yards without anything to steady the unit. If you are trying to shoot something WAY out there you should try to prop up on something. The yardages are a little misleading though. Take for instance a 660 will range something big and flat out to that distance but a deer with no hard, right angles to bounce the laser off of will only work out to maybe 300 yards? The don't tell you that up front but it is true. Try bracing the unit on something and pick a big tree or even the top of a tree with all the leaves and see if you get a reading.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks guys, I will try bracing it on something to see if it cleans up the readdings a bit.

Jim