Recovery question - Updated

sportsman94

Do they use their property a good bit? How big of a property are you hunting? If they use it a good bit you would think they’d eventually get tired of rotting deer on their property and let you start coming to get them. If they don’t use it much, I’d take antharper’s approach. Good luck!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

buckpasser

Sometimes people are just concerned about liability. They might feel if they were to give you permission over there they become exposed and vulnerable. Do them the favor of just not letting them know. That’s what I do during turkey season. Works great!

;)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What county is he in. I hope you just misunderstood him because in Ga if the landowner says no you can’t retrieve the deer the game warden can’t even get the deer unless it’s been poached and he needs to confiscate it.

“Call me and I’ll come get your deer.” His words not mine.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Most GWs will probably not get involved beyond making a call to the landowner to try to reason with them. They do not have the power to permit a hunter to access the lands of another hunter to retrieve anything unless they can make the hunter some sort of agent for the DNR and I expect that this would be frowned upon especially since the investigation would have to be invented on the spot as well.

The GW himself can access anyone's land (not curtilage) so long as it is in the course of his duties. Those duties should not and probably do not include retrieving game for hunters. The GW could gin up a reason but he would need to be willing to be untruthful in the process and this could be harmful to the career of a LEO who regularly gives testimony in court.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Eddie Tompkins
“Call me and I’ll come get your deer.” His words not mine.

Ol Eddie might be trying to be helpful, and may try to go recover the deer himself, but I stand by my post that he will NOT try to force ME to let YOU onto my land to get a deer. He has no such authority, and he's on shaky ground at best if HE enters my property to get somebody's deer.

Eddie ought to know this...:LOL:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That’s what has happened, I’ve contacted them and this is where it stands. I agree, can’t enter. So basically they’ve prevented others from successfully taking a deer on their own property due to the possibility of it expiring on their land.
Head shots work

ucfireman

If I did not have a good relationship with the neighbor and I knew the deer was dead and I could see it.
I would go get it. Shouldn't take long and they probably wont even know you did.
I would deal with the "trespass" issue later if it popped up. A lot of folks will threaten to call the "law" and never do. They don't want to deal with the drama either.