Reloaders...what scales do you use?

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm still using a PACT digital scale that I bought when they first came out with them....it's still working. I also still have the RCBS 5-0-5 scale that I used before that.

These scales have always served me well, I guess....but now scales are available (and affordable) that offer accuracy down to .01 gr instead of .1 gr. Worth it? I dunno...I have this technique where I always "sneak up" on the weight....I use the trickler to add the last .5 gr or so very slowly and try to stop when it just goes to the weight I'm looking for. I find that with extruded powder like AA3100, .1 gr can be up to 3 or 4 "sticks" of powder. I never get to my weight by removing powder from the pan. If I dump too much powder, I remove it until I'm below the target weight, and then trickle up to it...but it drives me nuts not knowing if I'm actually at 69.50 gr or 69.45 gr or 69.55 gr......

Am I being too picky here?

VHinch

I have an RCBS 505 and a 1010, but I usually use the 505.

To me any additional accuracy wouldn't be worth it. All I load are handgun rounds, mainly .45, and I'm loading in bulk. Using a flake powder like Red Dot, I'll get variances of .02 in a given run, and once I have the powder measure dialed in I only weigh every 25th charge.

Sounds like you are loading precision rifle rounds, which are obviously different, but for me that additional accuracy would be less than the margin of mechanical error, so I wouldn't be gaining anything.

clown714

I,also have one of the first electronic scales-
midway quick draw.

a old RCBS 10-10,too.

really like the speed of the electronic scale.
but it only measures to a tenth,also.

never felt handicapped using it.
only work up my loads in +.5 grains,so.

I think your being picky.

JMO

clown

Lead Poison

I've used the same RCBS 505 for twenty years now and it still works great.

EMC-GUN

I use a RCBS 505 and I measure rifle ammo to the granule of powder. Each little kernel makes a difference when it's a stick powder like IMR 4350, 4895, etc.

I use an RCBS 5-0-5. Before that I used an old Herter's 10-10 that was my uncle's scale. I bought my first reloading setup from him about 15 years ago, and still use the press and some of the equipment. I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and weigh every load. If it's over, I dump it back and start over. If it's under, I trickle it up. That $29 Lee PPM is surprisingly accurate.

rkwrichard

I use a Ohaus scale. This is the same scale as the original RCBS and Lyman scales which Ohaus made for them. I have a digital scale but I am not sure it is as accurate as my Ohaus.

bearpugh

Gone but not forgotten
got an old redding i've had for years. always done a good job for me.

RFWobbly

I'm using a RCBS 505 made by Ohaus in about 1975. It's still going strong.

EMC-GUN

I use an RCBS 5-0-5. Before that I used an old Herter's 10-10 that was my uncle's scale. I bought my first reloading setup from him about 15 years ago, and still use the press and some of the equipment. I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and weigh every load. If it's over, I dump it back and start over. If it's under, I trickle it up. That $29 Lee PPM is surprisingly accurate.

I use the Lee PPM for flake powder (Bullseye) for my handgun ammo. I hand scoop rifle powder for my long guns. Also hand scoop for my shotgun loads.

killitgrillit

RCBS chargemaster
powder dispenser and scale.

bearpugh

Gone but not forgotten
to be honest, when i can i like the lee dippers. simple and accurate.

bearpugh

Gone but not forgotten
only thing i didn't like about the ppm. on finer grain powders it had a tendency to leak. stick powders did fine tho.

tv_racin_fan

Germag I do not have any reloading or for that matter load workup experience per se. Anyway the guys I trust say that what they do for the most accurate loads is what some call "the ladder method". They generally decide on the projectile they want, then load up a set of rounds and they start at the minimum load and load one round per setting moving up .2grains per round. They mark em real good on the round so that there is no mistake which round is which and they load up past max because generally you never shoot all you loaded. Then when they shoot they mark where each individual round impacted and shoot until they shoot em all or get pressure sign. You look at the round impacts and there will generally be a couple of groupings that impact nearly the same place and they choose the load in the center of the grouping that best matches the velocity they want or the center of the largest grouping. This way any slight variation in load will not result in a wild swing of accuracy since generally you are matching the load to barrel harmonics. It helps if you have a chrono at the same time and shoot thru it because then you have the velocity numbers to compare as well. OR so I understand from guys who shoot P DOGS out to 800+ yards and generally rebarrel every year.

Course you could always do like some guys I know do and use one o them harmonic balancer things like the BOSS and they just buy premium factory ammo or get it gifted to them somehow and they use the BOSS to tune in the accuracy they want...

Then you could do like I seem to do far too often and load up some stuff with every intention of working up a load or testing factory fodder to see what your rifle likes and wind up just goofin instead or shooting someone elses AR or teaching some kid about black powder firearms (he got such a kick out of watching the loading process and shooting them it was worth every minute and the boy could shoot too)... Last time we got a bit carried away bustin soda bottles full of water, somehow the son managed to just graze one and knock a hole it the side and when he hit it the second time it flew bout 30 feet up and nearly got caught in a tree. We is like kids in a candy store I tells ya...OOOO, AAAHHH, did you see that??? I figure so long as everyone had fun and no one was hurt, nothing bad left on the the ground, like glass, everything is cool.