Powder Scales....what are you using ?

Dub

Interested in hearing what folks are using for weighting powder charges for confirmation.

1) What scale/s are you using ?

2) How long have you been using it ?

3) What would you go with now if you were starting over or considering making a change ?

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use a ChargeMaster or a 10-10 and verify with a GemTech since it goes to .01 if I need that.

Some hunting & plinking loads go from the ChargeMaster to the case through a funnel.

If I use powder measures for something I get my rhythm right and weighing each charge to see...then straight in the cases in the loading block...on a good day I will be within .1 with ball powders and that is what I use them with mostly. My buddy's Harrells seems more accurate to me but it isn't that important in most cases for what I'm doing.

My buddy's MatchMaster is sweet and measures to .01...you sure can make some consistent precision loads with that bad boy.

JeffinPTC

I've been using an RCBS Chargemaster with dispenser since 2015. Much easier the load shotgun going from 19 grains to 427.5 grains than my balance beam.

But...
I recently bought a MEC with lots of extras including a simple scale only like this:

And it works just as well if you don't need to dispense the powder.

JeffinPTC

And whatever you get, get this to make it a little easier to refill a cartridge after checking.

Reactions: Dub

Headshot

RCBS 5-0-5 balance scale came with my RCBS Rock Chucker kit. I have had this kit for about 15 years. About 13-14 years ago, I got a RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Usually use the balance scale for hunting reloads (10-20 cartridges) and the Chargemaster for pistol loads when using spherical powder.

Dub

RCBS 5-0-5 balance scale came with my RCBS Rock Chucker kit. I have had this kit for about 15 years. About 13-14 years ago, I got a RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Usually use the balance scale for hunting reloads (10-20 cartridges) and the Chargemaster for pistol loads when using spherical powder.

I also used a 5-0-5.

I sold it, along with all my other reloading gear years back.
Family & work obligations back then didn't leave much time for hunting & shooting. Factory ammo covered my infrequent shooting.

Sure wish I still had all my old gear...now that time isn't the constraint it once was. Shooting a lot more often these days. Replaced the original gear with a pair of Dillon progressives and a Co-Ax. They should cover my needs well.

For scales I will be starting off with both the Dillon
(discontinued) balance & their electric....with a set of Lyman check weights that cover the typical ranges of charge weights for pistol & rifle. Figured those check weights would be helpful in giving peace of mind the scales are honest.

Will be using a Forster Bench Rest Powder Measure w/ trickler as well as the standard Dillon Powder Measures on my progressive tool heads.

Jim Boyd

Hornady (not expensive).

Using for only a few months because I am an uneducated newbie.

This one is simple and seems to work (although it does drift a bit) so I will keep using.

6F692057-322A-4466-9BC4-66FAC8B352EF.jpeg

rmp

1) What scale/s are you using ?

2) How long have you been using it ?

3) What would you go with now if you were starting over or considering making a change ?
Dubs, A&D FX120i for scales for several months now.

I’ve used several digitals and always went back to my RCBS 505 beam scale. Just never developed the trust even with periodic testing with check weights.

The start came with ordering an Auto Trickler V4 but it had a 6 month lead time. I got the scale anyway and started using it here and there checking charges, sorting bullets, etc. The consistency has been next level and I have total confidence in what I’ve seen. Having the resolution of being able to see a single kernel of extruded powder is not required but sure is nice.

Oh, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Forgot the photo.

Attachments

• C764E8D2-FDA6-499E-B3C3-83E6612C7AA5.jpeg
    C764E8D2-FDA6-499E-B3C3-83E6612C7AA5.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

menhadenman

frankford intellidropper and love it, has proven to be very accurate
I was in the same boat here… until mine went belly up after about two years. Customer service still hasn’t got back to me. Very disappointing.

I loaded with beam scales for 10+ years but the auto droppers really open the book for load development. I picked up a charge master lite after FA died and have been happy so far.

deerslayer357

I am currently using a rcbs digital scale- think it is the 1500 to check weights.

Use mostly Dillon dispensers with a couple lee auto disks also for measures for pistol loads.

Got a Hornady electric measure 2 1/2 years ago and love it. Check it with check weights occasionally, but super easy to change for ladders and swapping one load to another.

If I was going to change anything it would have been to get the Hornady auto measure sooner in my reloading career. Love it.

Dub

Dubs, A&D FX120i for scales for several months now.

I’ve used several digitals and always went back to my RCBS 505 beam scale. Just never developed the trust even with periodic testing with check weights.

The start came with ordering an Auto Trickler V4 but it had a 6 month lead time. I got the scale anyway and started using it here and there checking charges, sorting bullets, etc. The consistency has been next level and I have total confidence in what I’ve seen. Having the resolution of being able to see a single kernel of extruded powder is not required but sure is nice.

Oh, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Forgot the photo.

That is certainly next level gear right there.
Serious precision.

rmp

That is certainly next level gear right there.
Serious precision.
Enjoying the process much more now.

Even if one was using a thrower and manual trickler, I’d encourage them to invest in good, repeatable scales. I’m OCD that way.

I loaded a 50 count of 257 Roberts for a friend last weekend using H4350. Without adjusting the default settings, it would throw to the desired charge +/- 1 kernel of powder with an average time of 22 seconds. Not too shabby.

Easy enough to customize, work up ladders, and possibly update with the Bluetooth App.
2C73F27A-E0AE-42E0-ADE8-7EFAAC22CEEC.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
The A&Ds are pretty awesome...I looked at them in their booth at the Rifle Expo. They are way faster than the MatchMaster and there is only about a $300 price difference. Programing the MatchMaster is easier through Bluetooth than on the scale itself.

2 pieces of the larger extruded powders weigh about .1...8208XBR is about 3 pieces best I can tell. My trickler is a pair of tweezers.:rolleyes: What I do takes sooo much of the time it takes to load. I know there is a better way...we all know what stubborn is.

Darkhorse

I use and old ohaus 505 scale, it's 40+ years old but still throws true. In fact all my loading gear is old, but I can get tight groups using it. I'm use to it all and have no desire to change.
Check out my Avatar, this group was loaded with my old stuff.