Powder Scales....what are you using ?

GregoryB.

I use the Hornady Auto Charge as well. Got it on sale from Midsouth about 4 years ago. Has worked well for my needs.

Reactions: Dub

furtaker

I use a Hornady balance beam scale and double check every charge with a Lyman electronic scale. I only load for a few hunting rifles though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

rmp

The A&Ds are pretty awesome...I looked at them in their booth at the Rifle Expo. They are way faster than the MatchMaster and there is only about a $300 price difference. Programing the MatchMaster is easier through Bluetooth than on the scale itself.

2 pieces of the larger extruded powders weigh about .1...8208XBR is about 3 pieces best I can tell. My trickler is a pair of tweezers.:rolleyes: What I do takes sooo much of the time it takes to load. I know there is a better way...we all know what stubborn is.
Ha! Right there with you.
This may not be worth the price of admission but much I need to see for myself through experimentation. A good node should make this level of detail nothing more than peace of mind with consistency. Granted, one small piece of the consistency equation.

I’ve run only a few powders through it,all extruded. Varget most often and it dispenses it quite well. Right at .02 grain per kernel which is convenient.

BriarPatch99

RCBS 510 ....same scale as 1010 except for 510 grains max .... been using since1969 ...

Also a Franklin electric scale ... does pretty good for a cheap scale ...about 10/12 years use ...

Stroker

Lee dippers and RCBS 5-0-5 scale since 1978 or 79. Picked up a Chargemaster Lite and some Lyman check weights about three years ago and have never looked back.

Jim Boyd

So

Is there a takeaway for people learning or is this just show and tell?

I am mostly a “buy one cry once” kind of guy

My process of weighing and trickling every charge is time consuming, to say the least.

Thanks !

Dub

So

Is there a takeaway for people learning or is this just show and tell?

I am mostly a “buy one cry once” kind of guy

My process of weighing and trickling every charge is time consuming, to say the least.

Thanks !

One pattern that I see is: A quality balance beam will last for a long, long, long time. The higher quality digitals are well above my pay grade.

My plan is to use my balance beam in conjunction with my budget digital for confirmation, using check weights at the beginning of each loading session. My digital drifts. I don't know that I'll trust it for setting the drops on my Dillon powder measures....but it'll be handy in doing reference checks every 50 rounds or so.

When I reach the point where I want more efficiency.....then I'll have to start looking under the sofa cushions and car seats for spare change to collect and start looking into the auto-measure-auto-weigh-auto-trickle market at that time.

chase870

Possum Sox
I'm just proud I'm not sticking cases in dies and can actually load a decent round of ammo that goes bang. I owe that to Jester, Briarpatch and all the others that helped me with the struggle. I guess my dropper is alright and I use a beam scale. I end up adding a few grains with a powder trickler to get it just right

Jim Boyd

One pattern that I see is: A quality balance beam will last for a long, long, long time. The higher quality digitals are well above my pay grade.

My plan is to use my balance beam in conjunction with my budget digital for confirmation, using check weights at the beginning of each loading session. My digital drifts. I don't know that I'll trust it for setting the drops on my Dillon powder measures....but it'll be handy in doing reference checks every 50 rounds or so.

When I reach the point where I want more efficiency.....then I'll have to start looking under the sofa cushions and car seats for spare change to collect and start looking into the auto-measure-auto-weigh-auto-trickle market at that time.

My Hornady scale drifts a bit at times also and I am to the point that I am zero and CAL about every 5th round.

I will upgrade before long.

deerslayer357

One trick I learned with my Hornady auto measure is to turn it on early. Let it warm up for a while and it seems to drift less.
Also, pay attention to what the scale reads when powder pan is absent- then you can see when it is drifting more easily.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I read here a lot as I pieced together my tools over time. Paid attention to what the regulars were using with success.

Learning is still very much occurring.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I bought both of my Charge Master Combos used. 1 was $125 and the other was $25. I used the $125 one for 3 years and it started to drift after a long loading session. The $25 one wouldn’t turn on and I knew that when I bought it. I sent both of them to Lone Mountain Communications to have them repaired. They charge $155 for each. They are both on the way back to me now and I should have them on Monday. I had another Charge Master Combo that I used for over 5 years and the buttons stopped working on it. I bought it from Brownell’s so I returned it and they gave me a full refund. Anything you buy from them comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My ChargeMaster and my GemPro are on constantly. I calibrate the ChargeMaster prior to each session. My GemPro drifts and I write down what the pan weight was when I remove it on a piece of paper right in from of it

01Foreman400

Staff member
My ChargeMaster and my GemPro are on constantly. I calibrate the ChargeMaster prior to each session. My GemPro drifts and I write down what the pan weight was when I remove it on a piece of paper right in from of it
I write the weight of the pan on it with a thin sharpie.