Powder Scales....what are you using ?

JeffinPTC

Another trick with the Chargemaster is to let it finish dropping, then wait for it to show the number loaded, then when it goes back to the weight, be sure its right. Often I see a tenth off. Then I use my finger to pinch out the difference, or add a little.

Jester896

Senior Clown
no telling what will be on my fingers at any given time...that is why I use tweezers to keep chances from contaminating to a minimum

Reactions: Dub

B. White

Chargemaster Lite with a Franklin digital for 5-8 yrs. I have used the RCBS and Lee balance scales. I wouldn't have any reason not go with them again. I have found myself matching a lee dipper to the load from the chargemaster for handguns with good results.

Buckstop

Using a Chargemaster Light and a Gempro. The Gempro is kinda picky and tends to drift at times. Seems to be most stable on battery power. Have a 510 beam but its not seen use in a couple years.

Last edited:

jglenn

Unless you spend large dollars on a electronic scale they will all float to some extent.. i would always verify with a good balance beam. Always. Good balance beam to me means an old rcbs 10-10 made by ohaus or the lyman M5 another ohaus(probably the best old scale)

There are some things you can do to help the electronic scales. Run them on a separate line. Certainly Not on a line with florescent lights. Turn it on and let it sit for a minimum of 30 minutes so it will stabilize. Then use your test weights to verify the scale.. ive owned quite a few electronic scales and powder drops over the years.. I always verify my rifle loads with one. Pistol loads on a Dillon not so much. After a little work the Dillon Powder dispenser is quite consistent. The very 1st electronic scale i used was an electronic driven Powder trickler dumping into a balance beam that controled the feeding by determing when the scale was level. Actually was very reliable for the day.

Robust Redhorse

I'm still using the Lyman Brass Smith 500 beam scales that I have been using for the last 30 years.

I think I would get an RCBS 2000 or a Chargemaster now, but the old Lyman seems to be still working just fine.

furtaker

Digital scales have come a long way and I use one for double checking charge weights but it's hard to beat a good balance beam in my opinion. They're a little slow to use but the accuracy can't be beat. You can see the beam move with one little kernel of powder. That kind of precision isn't possible with an electronic scale, at least ones I can afford.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm thinking that I'll be starting off doing just that as my nearby outlets also power some florescent lights, too.
my ChargeMaster and GemPro are plugged into a receptacle bar running the length of the bench and it is plugged into duplex wall receptacle on a circuit by itself

Dub

my ChargeMaster and GemPro are plugged into a receptacle bar running the length of the bench and it is plugged into duplex wall receptacle on a circuit by itself

I thought I was really overkilling it on my 8' bench by having a power strip on each side of it. Now that it is starting to take shape, slowly....I think I am having "power outlet insecurity" (using some of the new vernacular our White House Press Secretary keeps uttering :rofl: ).

Lights, modem, TV, BlueToof stuff, scales, annealer, more lights, cellphone charger, mini-fridge, stereo and etc....

Adam5

I’ve only been loading for a little over two years, so I’ll skip question 3.

We use an RCBS 505 scale and a RCBS Uniflow powder drop for most of what we load. They’re the same ones my my friend and reloading mentor have been using for a few decades.

Every now and then we’ll use the RCBS Charge-master for large loads so that we don’t have to swap to the large drum in the Uniflow.

I’ve heard people say they get too much variance using the Uniflow, but I think that’s user error. We run a baffle in the bottom, never let the hopper get below half full, and do consistent throws of the handle, no issues with the drop changing. Saturday we dropped 800 charges for 9mm, and weighed one every 50 drops. No change through all of them.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have the small drum one mounted on a lower stand and the large drum one mounted on a taller stand.

I get better results throwing with my index finger and middle finger on the link between the knurled knob and the drum. I don't get as good a result with extruded powder and don't usually use them for that. I use the same type setup on my Dillon...one powder measure with a small charge bar and one with a large charge bar that easily swaps to different toolheads.

your friends method is pretty much SOP...that was the way I was taught to use one.

I did run across the case activated one this weekend that I never have used. Not sure where the other 2 bushings are. That may need to find a new home and I need to see what drum is in it. I have an extra drum around somewhere too.

maybe I will get an inline plate for that T-7 and use it on that for .44s.