Remington Managed Recoil 7mm-08

Headsortails

I have used the .270 Managed-Recoil load. Every deer shot was DRT. They are great rounds that should be considered by adults as well as youngsters.

GunnSmokeer

200 yards, really?

I'm just saying that even a "reduced" or "light" load for a big powerful rifle cartridge can equal or exceed the performance of "full power factory loads" of a different caliber, also well respected as a deer killer beyond 200 yards.

The full power 7mm-08 uses 140 grain bullets at 2900 f.p.s. right?

The "reduced recoil" version pushes 140 grain bullets at 2,361 (Remington's data) for 1,730 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle.

That's more power than the 6.8 Rem SPC, which uses a lighter 120 grain bullet at about the same velocity (2,400 f.p.s.).

The "reduced" 7mm-08 loads are EXACTLY EQUAL to the 260 Remington (140 gr. at 2360 f.p.s.)
and almost a twin of the famous 6.5 x 55mm (140 grains at 2600 f.p.s.).

I don't think that the 6.8 Rem or 260 Rem or 6.5 x 55 Swedish are limited to 200 yards as deer rifle rounds, so I don't see why a reduced power 7mm-08 (or reduced .30-06, reduced .270 Win, reduced .300 Mag) that throws the same bullet at the same velocity would be limited to only 200.

P.S. HOWEVER, I agree that if the ammo maker made the bullet specifically for "controlled expansion" (and not too much expanding or fragmenting) for 100-200 yard shots, that particular bullet might not expand if it hits a deer's vitals at 400 yards, considering how much slower it would be going. You'd need to have a bullet that is constructed to expand at those lower speeds. (1400 or 1500 f.p.s.)

lonewolf247

I'm just saying that even a "reduced" or "light" load for a big powerful rifle cartridge can equal or exceed the performance of "full power factory loads" of a different caliber, also well respected as a deer killer beyond 200 yards.

The full power 7mm-08 uses 140 grain bullets at 2900 f.p.s. right?

The "reduced recoil" version pushes 140 grain bullets at 2,361 (Remington's data) for 1,730 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle.

That's more power than the 6.8 Rem SPC, which uses a lighter 120 grain bullet at about the same velocity (2,400 f.p.s.).

The "reduced" 7mm-08 loads are EXACTLY EQUAL to the 260 Remington (140 gr. at 2360 f.p.s.)
and almost a twin of the famous 6.5 x 55mm (140 grains at 2600 f.p.s.).

I don't think that the 6.8 Rem or 260 Rem or 6.5 x 55 Swedish are limited to 200 yards as deer rifle rounds, so I don't see why a reduced power 7mm-08 (or reduced .30-06, reduced .270 Win, reduced .300 Mag) that throws the same bullet at the same velocity would be limited to only 200.

P.S. HOWEVER, I agree that if the ammo maker made the bullet specifically for "controlled expansion" (and not too much expanding or fragmenting) for 100-200 yard shots, that particular bullet might not expand if it hits a deer's vitals at 400 yards, considering how much slower it would be going. You'd need to have a bullet that is constructed to expand at those lower speeds. (1400 or 1500 f.p.s.)

Several factors, (velocity, energy, lighter bullet, expansion, trajectory) but the bullets were only designed to shoot 200 yards.

Also, in many cases, not all though, these bullets are used for youth hunters. So that being said, I wouldn't let my youth shoot past 200 yards anyhow, when he/she first starts out.

Here is a link with a better explanation of the bullets intention and review:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_managed_recoil.htm

D Day

Since I started this thread I am happy to report that a 4th deer has fallen victim to this round. See story " Son's first buck....long story...happy ending."

140 lb buck shot at 100 yards. Deer dropped dead in his tracks. Bullet went thru both shoulders. Exit hole size of a quarter.

DocChris

I love the 7 - 08. I own both an 08 and 243 and the 243 has much more "felt" recoil. I also hunt a 300wsm. I am not bothered by recoil, but I can definitely tell a difference on the bench. I bet the 08 with reduced recoil would be a young ones dream.

7Mag Hunter

Tried 7m08 managed recoil loads in my SIL BAR.....Slight change
in recoil (not much imo), killed deer as good as anything, but I
started handloading for the BLR due to not being able to readily
find managed recoil loads....

D Day

With the other Core Lokt discussion/thread on front page, thought I would provide an update since original post 2 years ago.
My boys are now 14 and 17, so shooting the regular loads wouldn't be a problem. But, our hunting property is usually giving us shots of 150 yards or less. And, the results using this managed recoil round are really good. So, I'm going with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. Out results from this round:
* 9 deer, distances of 40 yards to 170 yards
* 4 bang flops
* the 5 that ran were all recovered within 75 yards
* pass thru on all deer. For one there was very little blood (bullet hit lower third of heart). Others had good trails.

OF NOTE : some advertising claims that you can shoot the regular loads to the same point of aim as the managed recoil loads. This IS NOT accurate, for my Savage Model 14 anyway. I tried that claim out before start of this season. Confirmed zero at 100 yards using managed recoil. Then fired the regular Core-Lokt and barely got paper at 100 yards.

nmurph

My son killed his first deer this year with a MR load in a .270 at a distance of 8yds. He hit him mid shoulder on the entry and it passed through the breast bone and broke the femur on the exit side. It DID NOT EXIT. I know that's a lot of bone to plow through, but I have no doubt a regular load would have done so at that distance.
BTW, the deer ran all of 20yds before piling up. A week later he kiled a nice 8 at 125yds with a double pass through in the lungs. Again, piling up less than 50yds but not making a very big hole on the exit- blood was scarce the first 20yds or so...saw where he pile up so retrieval was a given. He will be using regular loads next year.
As for kick, the felt recoil is similar to a .243 with a regular load.